Riding with manflu

Seamus 128
Seamus 128 Posts: 16
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi ya everyone this is a noob's first post, been back into the biking for about a year now and I'm totally hooked again after 15 years out of the saddle . Quit the cancer sticks 4 weeks ago and been amazed in such a short time just how much my fitness has improved, however picked up manflu or as the mrs says a cold! last week and have felt pretty crappy coughing, head full of glue,etc you know the score!,
With the bank holiday weekend nearly here my question is
If I go for a blast on the bike this weekend feeling like pig poo which I'm dying to do! is it gunna cure me or kill me?

Alternative stay in this weekend with the Mrs / kids and lemsips no doubt with a long list of DIY jobs to do around the home
Your advise please

Comments

• carbonfiend
    carbonfiend Posts: 475
    There is an unwritten rule which is ' ok to train if its in your head but not if it's on your chest' Sounds like its on your chest as well so I would suggest rest up let it pass. If you ride you do run the risk of extending the conditions as your body is currently trying to fight an invading virus so you really don't wanna add extra stress by riding. BTW Riding with a cold isn't much fun anyway I have done it on extremes when training for a race, if you do decide to ride then my other suggestion would be take it easy don't push as hard as you would and maybe cut your time/distance. The trails ain't going anywhere they will be in the same place next weekend.
    '..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'
  • Yup second that, above the neck it's ok below the neck it's not is the rule - I broke it once and became very ill very quickly.

Have you been to mexco recently, or had a meal in chequito's btw?
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • sure its not swine flu? :lol:

top up on vit c and see how you go.

personally I don't like riding with flu, it'll make it worse.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12620774
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    Bollox to that. mtfu and get out there. The fresh air will do you good. You obviously don't feel that bad as you're considering a ride. But yeah maybe an easier one as said above.

Is there any evidence that quitting smoking temporarily lowers your immune system? I picked up loads of cold symptons for a few months after quitting
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    if you are too ill to ride....then you are most definitely too ill for DIY.

and as king donut says......loads of people get coughing fits and cold like symptons after quitting smoking....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You can't ride with manflu! What if you sneeze and the germs get into the trail dust? Pandemic! You should seal yourself into a plastic bag then throw yourself on a bonfire, it's the only responsible thing to do in the absence of the nuclear option.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Fresh air and light exercise can benefit a cold. If it is flu, or you have a chest infection, then rest is the best way.