Robert Millar

johny c
johny c Posts: 256
edited May 2009 in Pro race
Captain Fagor, other RM fans, it's Millar time again.

I came across this interview on youtube last night, thought you'd like to see it. The guy who posted it, is a Scottish racing cyclist who still lives in France and went for winter training rides with Thierry Marie and Mark Madiot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfPk_caOzwQ&feature=related

ps. If anyone could translate the French bits into English, or even Jockanese, I'd be grateful.
Johny

Comments

• dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    OK here goes. Not sure how accurate this'll be.

He's saying that the Gorbals was known as the worst part of Glasgow. Saying the area has made a big impact on his life. He used to play where that shabby grass is there was water there but it's not there now. The bridge is still there though. Something about closing your eyes whilst coming down on his bike that I didn't quite get.

I think he's says something about Scottish people liking Scotland when they are away from it and that he's happy he moved to France. It wasn't a difficult decision to move to France because he can live anywhere.

Like the people of Glasgow he didn't play cricket. Him and his friends used to go to that cricket club on the way back from school. He explains that cricket is typically English. That's about as much as I understood from that section.

Then he's talking about Glasgow giving him the confidence and inspiration to ride the bike.

He says something about not being close to his dad, not that they don't like each other just that Scottish people aren't as close to their families as the French.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • johny c
    thanks Dave.
    Johny
  • Captain Fagor
    Captain Fagor Posts: 739
    Thanks for the link, johny c. It's an interesting clip, especially when it pops into Billy Bilsland's shop. It was quite a shop in that era, with Colnagos, Ciocc, Concorde PDMs, etc hanging from the ceiling.

One gripe though - I think French people watching that clip might think Glasgow to be a worse place than it actually is. Fair enough, the clip might accurately depict RM's formative environment (Gorbals and Trongate for Bilsland's shop), but the city is not all grim. They picked a crappy (but perhaps representative) day for it too.

Nice cats too. Quite a big (and old?) ginger fellow in there, prowling around on the couch.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    thanks to johnyc for posting that and thanks Dull Dave for the translation. Seeing it again, still kinda shocks, a wee guy wondering along the street in Glasgow but could pack a hell of a punch on a bike in the mountains of the Europe :) awesome , great memories of legendary cyclist!
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    While we're on the subject of Robert, has anyone heard of anything special happening to commerate the 25th anniversary of his Tour "KOM" ?? I seem to remember some talk last year of commerative T-Shirts, just wondered what's actually materialising. Even outwith the cycling community Robert's KOM was a huge deal so it would be a pity to let it go by.
    Maybe for the man himself to make a public appearance - that would be special !!!
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    .. P.S. Never mind Sir Chris and his Bran Flakes, I can still remember Robert and his Kelloggs "Start" Ads !!!
  • dave_1
    claudb wrote:
    While we're on the subject of Robert, has anyone heard of anything special happening to commerate the 25th anniversary of his Tour "KOM" ?? I seem to remember some talk last year of commerative T-Shirts, just wondered what's actually materialising. Even outwith the cycling community Robert's KOM was a huge deal so it would be a pity to let it go by.
    Maybe for the man himself to make a public appearance - that would be special !!!

yeah...I see the 25th anniversary jersey for sale here, scroll down

http://www.robertmillar.net/
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    definitely up for a top - cant see an email address to write to though ? Any ideas ?
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    It's jersey@thewashingmachinepost.net You need to click the jersey image to see it.

I wonder how many people wjo were interested, couldn't find that email address.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • dave_1
    dulldave wrote:
    It's jersey@thewashingmachinepost.net You need to click the jersey image to see it.

I wonder how many people wjo were interested, couldn't find that email address.

cheers
    Am definitely interested in getting one too...wonder if he is defo going ahead withm them?
  • cougie
    Cheers Dave !
  • johny c
    guys,

I emailed Brian at WMP. He placed the order today with Endura, for the jerseys ordered so far and a few 'extras'. If anyone wants a jersey, who hasn't already ordered one, place an order asap. This is to get them made and out before the tour.
    Johny
  • cougie
    Ooh - not seen an email back off him - will have to search my inbox tonight..
  • johny c
    sorry, wrong button :oops: not for the first time, I posted what was meant to be a pm. Is it just me being gormless, or have others done this too?
    Johny
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    I sent an e-mail off last night asking if it was too late to order. Got a reply from Brian today saying order was away but he could add to it 8)

Just sent him my order :P