Marzocchi MZ Race forks adjustment

craig_p
craig_p Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Just bought a Kona Cinder Kone with these forks fitted and when I adjust the knob on the top of the forks it doesn't seem to make the spring any harder/softer. Should there be a noticeable difference when I turn this on these forks? The lockout seems to work fine on them.

Starting to think it might be a bit of a lemon since from memory the Dart forks I tried in the shop adjusted quite well. Already thinking about returning the bike due to the absolutely useless Hayes So1e Hydraulic brakes so if the forks are also not working right I want to do it asap.

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds about right for the MZ

are they 2007 or 2004 year forks?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • craig_p
    Is this common for the MZ fork?

The bike is a 2007 model Cinder Cone so I'm guessing the forks are 2007 as well. Thanks
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The adjusters don't make the fork harder or softer - do you have a manual? They set the ride height and sag by preloading the spring.

It is a terrible fork by the way!
  • craig_p
    Didn't get the manual with it but found one on the internet. Right, see what you mean now.

Would the Dart 2 fork be a better option? I'm thinking I might be returning this bike tonight, not impressed with some of the components.
  • nicklouse
    the dart is about the same.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • supersonic
    craig_p wrote:
    Didn't get the manual with it but found one on the internet. Right, see what you mean now.

Would the Dart 2 fork be a better option? I'm thinking I might be returning this bike tonight, not impressed with some of the components.

The forks are working right, they just don't perform as well as say a Tora! The MZ has no damping.
  • craig_p
    No bother. Really just looking for a half decent starter fork on it until I know more about what I'm after. Feeling like it wasn't work the extra to get the Marzocchi fork and hydraulic brakes now.
  • supersonic
    Most zocchis are decent fork, but this paricular one (MZ Race and Comp) uses the good name but is basically a suntour, as that is who makes it.
  • craig_p
    If I'd known that I would not have even entertained buying it. Guess you get what you pay for.

Thanks for all the advice.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    http://www.marzocchi.com/admin/download ... getto=8370

Tech data on the various Marz' forks, this is 2005. MZ's are coil and elastomer combined, no proper damping (beyond a bit of friction!)

Marzocchi.com is very useful!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tri-sexual
    tri-sexual Posts: 672
    i have a specialized hardrock pro 2007 with the mz forks and hayes sole brakes
    i agree, the fork adjustments are poor, u turn the knob and can hear the spring creak but seem to make little or no difference to the adjustment of the fork itself. the forks are very heavy compared to others. that said, take them off road and they perform much better than they should for the money. mine has done 1500 miles and have had no problems.
    the sole brakes are not the best available but they perform well and much better than rim brakes in the wet.
    both are cheap parts, not the best available but works well and both reliable
  • New to biking, are these forks coil/spring or air, thanks
  • nicklouse
    m@dcyclist wrote:
    New to biking, are these forks coil/spring or air, thanks
    Yes.

Need more info from you.