Incoming Newbie!

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi to all, please be gentle on a 42yo oldie....

Just taken up cycling as my fitness levels are dropping too fast, and with a competative near 16yo daughter I need to be able to keep up!

I have built up a mountain bike (more as a hybrid) using a Giant Rincon frame (XL-22" so too big for proper offroading for me at 5'9.5"!) from my local recycling centre (spec below) and am planning on commuting and doing light trail work with it (I've bought a Carrera Kraken frame to build up as a more off road suitable bike. I need to keep up with the daughter on her (cheap at £80 but fairly light and well built (and high spec in places like the Deore brakes) and proving very relaible so far) Shogun Jackel

Being an engineer (automotive by trade) I have really enjoyed building te bike from scratch, using bits from the recycling centre, an old cheap bike and bits scavanged from ebay and woolies as it was closing down, and it currently stands me less than £60 (after selling on bits I didn't need).

Giant Rincon XL frame with Suntour NCX (lightweight with Magnesium lower, it has a preload adjustable coil and adjustable with lockout compression damping) forks, 21 speed with Shimano combined (ratchet shift) levers on CBR bars, DDG short stem (I have dodgy wrists and have to sit upright-ish), Schumann/Quando front wheel with semi-slick for touring, Mavic/Hope with panaracer FireX for dirt, braked by a Zoom (Woolies) mechanical calliper (Vuelta waiting to go on when I have 180mm discs), SIS front mech and Alivio rear driving Mavic/STX rear wheel with a hybrid tyre or a CTC/hope rear with a Kenda Kwick for dirt, saddle is from a diamondback on a thomson elite stem, no name clamp, cranks and BB are original Giant and currently running Woolies pedals, pairof Saracen takeoffs are in hand when I can get one out of its crank!

All working 100% except the front mech which needs some attention as the cable setting to get clean upshifts means it won't downshift properly and vice versa, as I've not gone off road not having consistant access to the front granny ring hasn't been a problem, besides if anything its a little short geared for my commute as I run out of gears on the downhills.

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • Yeah, I would like to have a lookin to, sounds good!
  • The Rookie
    Pics to follow, overseas with work right now!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie
    Finally got a photo sorted, caved in and added a rack on the back, packed lunch goes on the rack, laptop in rucksack and other works stuff on my back!

DSC00070.jpg

That is with the semi-slick on the front, still need to put the kenda kwick on the rear!

Simon
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    That is a funny mix of kit, looks good though...
    I like bikes and stuff
  • The Rookie
    Ta, funny mix of kit as its all come from different places :lol: , the diamondback 'armchair' has now been replaced by a Shwinn skinny two pad that seems to suite me better (no more sweatt butt!).

Now getting on with building the Kraken frame it a more conventional MTB.

Simon
  • joshtp
    Kraken frame should make a much more trail friendly bike. Hope it goes well for you.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • The Rookie
    Thanks, yes this frame is too big for much more than pathways/tow paths etc, but its a nice stable ride, so ideal in its new role as a commuter hybrid! Kraken will be specced a bit differently!

Simon
  • joshtp
    yes, the giants probably great for the comute, if you put some decent forks and tyres on the Kraken it will be sweet, remember not to compromise on any parts, belive me, its the bane of most home built bikes. wait till you get the exact right part, its worth it, i can say with experiance. i really do hope your happy with your result, every new mtber is welcome. its a growing sport and the more riders the better!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • The Rookie
    Thanks, I'm looking out for decent forks, though have some right snotters off something cheap to put on temporarily if I haven't got any by then!

Simojn
  • joshtp
    "snotters" great word!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    +1 for snotters!

That's a great job - fantastic value & good wheels, which is what matters (to me).

Top marks & welcome back; looking forward to see how the Kraken turns out.
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • joshtp
    elPedro666 wrote:
    +1 for snotters!

That's a great job - fantastic value & good wheels, which is what matters
    +1
    I like bikes and stuff
  • switchback18
    switchback18 Posts: 617
    Love to see bikes put together for next to no cash. Good on you.
    I've tried it but always end up spending more than I intend, even when it's for a mate!

Need to build up a budget DJ bike for the new Scarborough skatepark/bmx track, but I fear it will also end up costing too much...
  • elPedro666
    Pulled my old (20 years ago) cyclo-cross race bike out of retirement a few weeks ago and turned it into a town-centre terroriser - £6 including a spare tube! :lol: 8)
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • elPedro666
    The Beginner

These might be a decent start if you're doing the Kraken on a similar budget:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DISC-WHEEL-SET-IN ... 1992wt_907
    Even if you use a V-brake on the rear (not sure how old your frame is?) that's still silly-cheap for a full set-up I reckon!
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    Red X-Lite bling
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
  • The Rookie
    Frame is disc rear, no V-brake bosses, have lots of disc front wheels now (LOL, first cost me £15, last two £5 the pair - all 'reasonable' quality - one is for the daughter as I'm converting her shogun to disc front as a start to her upgrade package) should have a front hydraulic setup coming, will probably stay with cable rear (have the caliper already - Vuelta) but thanks for the heads up.

Simon