trouble getting tyres off, HELP ME!!

Rivi Rider
Rivi Rider Posts: 3
edited May 2009 in MTB general
Hi I have been ridding bikes for years done all my own maintence, even built myself a bike from sratch, but recently I have been having touble getting tyres off, even snapped a plastic tyre lever, so I bought metal ones now they just leave dents in the rims of my wheels, Anyone got any suggestions or advice?

Comments

• The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    I use washing up liquid around the rim neat. And I mean a lot.

I use park tools plastic levers, hook one under, then about6 inches away hook the other one under... then lift both at the same time, the rest is history... and I have got some right buggers off!!!

Try the W U method!
  • cheers for that I will give it a go!
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Rivi Rider wrote:
    cheers for that I will give it a go!

Hope it works for you, nothing worse than getting stubborn tyres off, well I suppose there is but it's a bummer!
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    Start at the valve. Use the first lever and hook it on a spoke. Furthest from the valve push the tyre bead into the centre of the rim then continue doing this both directions towards the valve. Use a 2nd lever 2 spokes or so from the first then repeat the bead pushing bit. When you put the 3rd lever in hopefully the 2nd will fall out 'cos all the slack is now where you want it by the levers. use the 2nd lever that has fallen out to slide around the rim, unhooking the bead and pulling the tyre off the rim. Use plastic levers.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i use plastic levers that have a metal core....I also snapped a set of park tools ones trying to get a high roller off....

*edit oh....and hucking's method is the very one.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Noel PT
    Noel PT Posts: 627
    I normally walk my hands around the tyre and pull as I go it eventually gives you a bit of a gap between the tyre and rim. I never need to use levers on mtb tyres. I will admit that my mud tyres are a b!tch to remove but they generally work themselves using the above mentioned method.

Good luck mate.