Christian Vande Velde ... does he actually race?!

2»

Comments

• Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    FF its horses for courses. Everyone has to play to their strengths. AC is possibly the gonna be one of the greatest cyclists ever! CVV is not, and has to put his eggs into this basket. its a bit shortsighted to be expecting every grand tour contender to be bashing out results all year round. Credit to Cadel that he seems to always be there or thereabouts in the early season races that suit, bit not everyone can do that. Not only that, but after last years tour, why wouldn't Garmin have CVV on this programme to the following year. it makes complete sense.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I agree MM - I guess not everyone can be a Contador and those who cannot emmulate his level of performance need to keep it steady all year except for three weeks (maybe six if they are feeling good).

My original reason for this thread was simply because I hadn't seen him once except in Paris-Nice. Comments about him preparing for the Tour would make have now made it clear why!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Of all Pro Cyclists he is in position 424th in terms of Kms raced.

He had injuries certainly, yet if we take someone like Ballan who was out due to some virus and look at his kms, he is in position 115th.

For 2008, Ballan was 13th and CVV 72th.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Vandevelde is also a LOT older than most of the other GC contenders and certainly Contador. he must be what 34/35 by now? He raced the Giro and the Tour in 2008 and did a good ride in both.

He's had a poor 2009 due to injury, supported Wiggins well through the Tour and is a good family man. I's take him over a number of other riders for Goat Sports RT!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • LOL. Age has nothing to do with it.

He is 33 for starters, so is actually in the middle.

Also, guess who had the most kms in 2008? Zabel. You know how old he was in 2008 right.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • As old as Time mr Fighter. All I'm saying is different riders bodies react differently to racing loads. Zabel was reknowned for 8 hour training rides etc. He responded well to racing forever and a day.

Perhaps VdV doesn't.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • There are a few good quotes explaining why you shouldn't try and argue your point when it has been shown to be irrelevant.

Age cannot be used as an excuse.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Yeah that was a tacit admission you got me on the age thing, so I gave you the "Zabel was a physical freak" explanation.

@gietvangent