Headset woes

tgardi
tgardi Posts: 32
edited April 2009 in Workshop
Hi,
I have a Trek 1.2 2008 and recently my headset seems to get stuck in the forward position - does that make sense? If I lift the front wheel off the ground and let the wheel swing, it always sticks when it is pointing ahead, this has caused me a few wobbles when riding. Is there an easy way for a complete novice to rectify this or should I just stomp back to Evans and demand it fixed? as it is only 7 months old.

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    tgardi wrote:
    Hi,
    I have a Trek 1.2 2008 and recently my headset seems to get stuck in the forward position - does that make sense? If I lift the front wheel off the ground and let the wheel swing, it always sticks when it is pointing ahead, this has caused me a few wobbles when riding. Is there an easy way for a complete novice to rectify this or should I just stomp back to Evans and demand it fixed? as it is only 7 months old.

I vote for "stomping back", but maybe without the stomping. It's an easy enough job to fix it yourself. If you know what you're doing and have a few of the proper tools. Sounds like it's a bit to tight to me. Headsets tend to get kind of a ratchet feeling when they're
    a bit too snug. Sounds like a shop job or a friend who knows how to adjust those things.

Dennis Noward
  • tgardi
    tgardi Posts: 32
    Thanks Dennis, I think i will get Evans to do it.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Sounds like your headsets indexed, I think that's the right term. Anyway mine did that; when I took it apart I could see tiny pits in the cups where the BBs prefer to sit. It may be caused by the headset being too tight, but once there I guess replacement is probably the only way out. A fairly simple job if you have the right tools, otherwise back to the shop.