recieved my cycle2work voucher...now what to get with it

Si78
Si78 Posts: 963
edited April 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

Have finally recieved my cycle2work voucher :D

But I think ive cocked up a bit :oops:

Was looking at getting a Boardman Sport mtb @ £550, so my voucher is for that amount, however after reading a load of posts on this site I thought about going up to the Boardman Comp @ £700 (better fork and brakes etc, and I was suffering from bike/spec envy lol)

But it says on the voucher that " under no circumstances can any money be added to the value of the voucher" . Doh!

Has anyone managed to add a bit of extra cash and get a more expensive bike from Halfords on the cycle2work scheme???

Or should I just be satisfied with my original choice (Boardman Sport), as Im only just starting out mtb'ing. Can then save up my pennies and upgrade the forks/brakes etc as I get more into mtb'ing?

Boardman Sport has Rock shox Dart3 front sus, Tectro auriga brakes, Sram x5 drivetrain.

Boardman Comp has Rock shox recon SL front sus, Avid juicy 3 brakes, Sram x5 & x7 drivetrain.

Cheers
Si
Why has my sig been removed by the admins???

Comments

• GSDog
    GSDog Posts: 129
    Have you looked at the Carrera Fury or GT Agressor XC1 at Halfords?

The Fury is cheaper and has a much better fork.
    GT is the same price as the boardman sport but with better specs too.

I think it is a good idea to spend around £400-550 on the bike and spend the rest on all the accessories that you will need because they will come to quite a bit.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    You cannot top up the value of the bike on the voucher I'm afraid but you'll need accessories anyway and they are going to cost a few quid.

Remember that you can order just about any bike via Halfords and are not restricted to just the bikes instore or online.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Si78
    GSDog wrote:
    Have you looked at the Carrera Fury or GT Agressor XC1 at Halfords?

The Fury is cheaper and has a much better fork.
    GT is the same price as the boardman sport but with better specs too.

I think it is a good idea to spend around £400-550 on the bike and spend the rest on all the accessories that you will need because they will come to quite a bit.

Hi GSDog,

Cheers for reply :D
    I looked at the Fury, and yes the fork is better. Just felt that bike was a bit too heavy and bulky. just an impression, im no expert.

The GT is a nice bike, but I would feel robbed cos I missed the 20% off last weekend! :(
    My mate has the same Marzocchi fork on his GT and he doesnt rate it at all, he is looking for a replacement. May just be individual riding style/taste tho.

Also, how can i put it? visually/aesthetically the Fury and GT do nothing for me 8) . Silly I know cos both are hugely accomplished bikes with good reviews on this site.

I have most of the accesories i need already, used them when riding my crappy old bike (helmet, waterproof jacket, shorts, pump, puncture kit, tools, lights etc)

I think the best thing i can do is go back down to Halfords with an open mind, get back on all the bikes in my price range, and pick the best one for the money.

Cheers,
    Si
  • Si78
    Daz555 wrote:
    You cannot top up the value of the bike on the voucher I'm afraid but you'll need accessories anyway and they are going to cost a few quid.

Remember that you can order just about any bike via Halfords and are not restricted to just the bikes instore or online.

Hiya Daz,
    Cheers for reply dude

I was just wondering if the rules could be 'bent' a bit lol ( I know people at my work who have got £1000 vouchers and bought 2 bikes with the same voucher...some Halfords do, some dont)

Regarding ordering other brands thru Halfords... Ive not got a clue really, so many to choose from! Dont think I would like to order something that I had not had chance to ride, or even see in the 'flesh' !? What would you recommend??

Have got most of my accessories sorted already, used them on a few rides already on my crock-o-sh1te. just need to order some padded cycling shorts and some altura 3/4 baggies off t'internet, then im done

Cheers mate,
    Si
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    I have ordered a Specialized Pitch Comp through them, should be here next week. They would not let me put any more to it to get a Pro though.
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • Si78
    apdoughty wrote:
    I have ordered a Specialized Pitch Comp through them, should be here next week. They would not let me put any more to it to get a Pro though.

Hi apdoughty,

cheers for reply

doesnt look good for being able to add money then :cry:

gonna have a wander down to halfords in a min and have a look and chat.

Seems like the best thing i can do is get a £550 bike and add to it in future if my riding needs demand. and if my funds allow!

(10% pay cut and hours reduction in effect @ Toyota for the next year, so funds probably wont allow for a while :cry: ! )

Cheers,
    Si