ErgoPower shifters dying?

philkeeble
philkeeble Posts: 109
edited May 2009 in Workshop
I have an early generation Campag Veloce 8 speed gearset and they have always had a heavy, long-throw shift action with an industrial strength click. Yesterday on the way to work the 6>5 downshift went 'soft' with a light action and barely discernable click. All othert changes were as usual. This morning the upshift action in all gears has gone soft, with virtualy no click and no pressure required to change gear. All 'feel' has gone although, for the present, the gear change indexing largely remains. Downshift action has similarly gone a little soft and lacking in tactile feedback.

Can anyone advise me : any idea what may have broken, are these ErgoPower shifters repairable and are parts available for the 8 speed? I've just spent a fair amount replacing half the sprockets and chain and changing to a compact chainset, so don't really want to upgrade to a 9 speed at this point.

Any advice gratefully received, I'm happy to get in about it myself once I know that I've nothing to lose!

Phil
Cheers,
Phil, in Inverurie

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Most likely the G spring. Contact Mercian cycles for spares/a repair job.
  • philkeeble
    Good tip, thanks. It was the G-spring. Jeff at Mercian stripped, cleaned and rebuilt with new springs, and I had it back 4 days after posting to him! Great service.

Phil
    Cheers,
    Phil, in Inverurie
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    www.campyonly.com has some instructions but I suspect that if I tried to service my shifters it would end in tears. How much did it cost you?
    M.Rushton
  • philkeeble
    £31 including return p&p. Apparently the G-spring is always the likliest failure point (2 of them) and these are common to all Ergo shifters up until 2008, so these parts are readily available. In fact after getting them done I found that my lbs could have done it for me (the mechanic has Campag himself ... doh!). He mentioned that you can also get bits to convert between 8- and 9-speed.

Re-fit, new cables and bar tape now on the job-list for this weekend.
    Cheers,
    Phil, in Inverurie
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    philkeeble wrote:
    £31 including return p&p. Apparently the G-spring is always the likliest failure point (2 of them) and these are common to all Ergo shifters up until 2008, so these parts are readily available. In fact after getting them done I found that my lbs could have done it for me (the mechanic has Campag himself ... doh!). He mentioned that you can also get bits to convert between 8- and 9-speed.

You can go 8-9-10 according to Campy Only but not 10-11. Might be something here

http://campyonly.com/phpBB3/index.php
    M.Rushton