MTB routes by train?

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited April 2009 in MTB general
I was just thinking out loud to a mate earlier, can anyone recommend some really good trail/xc riding, with the specific requirement that it be within a few miles ride of the main rail network? I'm thinking it'd be a nice way to spend a day, just jump on the train at edinburgh, ride it for a few hours to somewhere new, jump off and ride... I can't drive, so can't just get in the car and go, so here's the credit crunch alternative :wink:

Any suggestions? Fort William is 5 hours away, but with the train times it'd have to be an evening ride and an overnighter which isn't ideal really... Could go and do Glasgow's Pollok park red and blue routes I guess?
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    What about train to bridge of orchy, then loads of riding to be had around the west highland way.....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Jump on the train to Stirling, then pick up the Aberfoyle/Calendar route - it's part of the Lochs and Glens route.

I did Calendar to Aberfoyle and back on New Years Day, and it was an experience, to say the least!

http://www.cycle-n-sleep.co.uk/rinfo/ma ... rlisle.htm
  • jimh_123
    jimh_123 Posts: 66
    You could get the train to Croy then cycle up to Carron Valley, its pretty good, loads of jumps down one of the routes. Could easily spend a day there, although no cafe :( so bring your own food. The cycle from Croy is a bit of a slog but its definitely do-able and worth it.
    Dont think Pollock Park is really worth commin all the way form Edinburgh. Its small tracks which you could get round in 20mins and thats combining all them!

Best bet Carron Valley :wink:
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    Yeah, Pollock Park def is not worth the trip from Edinburgh. There must be good riding at most of the stops that the Ed-Inverness train makes.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Train line runs straight through Hope valley in the Peaks.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I was thinking if I was at Pollok, I might as well do 20 laps :lol: I've a feeling that Carron Valley from Croy is slightly too much for me in one day, though.

Lots of ideas there, thanks a lot folks!
    Uncompromising extremist