Another Heavyweight returning to Cycling!

Mupp1t
Mupp1t Posts: 6
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi i'm from the South

Decided to sell my car recently and downgrade to something a little cheaper, leaving spare cash for a bike.

I'm currently around 20st and a whopping 6' 8", which i forsee to be an issue in finding the right bike! :D

I've been reading as much as i can the last few days on various sites and come up with the following ideas, my budget is ideally £300-400, i would consider spending more for the right bike.

The last time i was riding i was into GT's, it was much simpler in those days, LX, DX, XT, XTR pretty much summed up the popular groupsets, i think discs brakes were just coming in but i was using V-Brakes and i never used suspension before.

I found the following bikes:

Giant Torrago 2009 here.

Kona Fire Mountain Deluxe 2008 here

They both seem to have very good equip bundled in for the price, best Value for money.

I will consider other bikes though on recommendation.

My size is going to be a big factor in deciding so i need to know if i should be using a 21"/22"/23" frame, for riding on Roads/Offroad in a few weeks as i get fitter.

I was told by someone if i should drop down a size for riding offroad to be more agile, is this true?

I think that sums up my questions for now, thanks :D

Comments

• Furkuk
    Furkuk Posts: 71
    If I was you I would pick a bike that I felt happy on. Try visiting the shops and test riding them. :D
    I am only 6' but I got a 20" frame for my GT and it felt a lot higher than the Scott I had before but after a few rides I feel more than happy with it.
    Now the owner of a GT Aggressor XC 3
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    You really need to visit the bike shops and look out for demo days so you can try some bikes. The best size is whatever you feel comfortable with and although there's an element of truth in choosing a smaller frame for off-roading, with all due respect big fellas like us are never going to be agile :)
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    I'm 6'4" and on a 21" frame which is perfect size for me... i would suggest you go for that size or maybe a 21.5" frame like the Trek's....

But anything bigger and it might be a bit difficult to throw around, but as said above, try before you buy! ;)
    It's been a while...
  • Mupp1t
    I will most certainly try locally, i would love to purchase locally as well, however i feel i will pay a pretty hefty premium.

I have not found a store that stocks the Terrago yet, makes me wonder why its not a popular bike, the spec seems pretty nice, i know its srp £500, but most shops seem to sell for around £370
  • Mupp1t
    Graydawg wrote:
    I'm 6'4" and on a 21" frame which is perfect size for me... i would suggest you go for that size or maybe a 21.5" frame like the Trek's....

But anything bigger and it might be a bit difficult to throw around, but as said above, try before you buy! ;)

Graydawg

I did try the Trek 21.5 today and would agree it feels quite large, i doubt i would want to go any higher in size, i think i have found the shop now to buy from, i just need to decide on the bike :D
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Kona's are generally strongly built and available in some big sizes (22"), go and sling your leg over one and see if you like it.
  • Mupp1t
    A quick update:

I ended up buying a Commencal Normal Disc, i'm sure you guys/gals know the specs of the bike :) I hope it was a good purchase for my first bike.

The store i bought it from was very helpful, gave me loads of information and did not force an upsell on me as soon as i walked in.

I have been out tonight for 5+ miles, it might have been more, i met my match at some of the hills, and had to dismount and walk half of the last one. (damn i don't remember it being that tough to cycle up a hill) :P

Later i will plan a flatter route for the rest of the week to ease myself back into riding, for now i think i'll hold off hitting some of the offroad stuff until i sort my general fitness out :lol: