Help me avoid the dreaded 'R' word...?

ashfanman
ashfanman Posts: 186
edited April 2009 in MTB general
Hi all.

I'm picking up my bike from Greenwich this Saturday, and I'm currently scratching my head as to how I'm going to get it all the way to Bounds Green (north London, just past Wood Green on the Piccadilly line) without having to slog my way through 20km of heavy traffic.

The only problem is that you can't take non-folding bikes on either the Jubilee line or the DLR, so I can't see any other way to do it?

If anyone can come up with a genius idea (that doesn't involve anything too crazy like dismantling it and posting it via Royal Mail piece by piece) then I'll buy them a pint. Maybe even some Scampi Fries.

Comments

• New bike? Must have come to the shop in a box. Get the box. Remove the wheels from the bike. Bike and wheels in box. Box on train. Job done.
    Frank Yates
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    do they not put the bike together for you? :shock: they have bike spaces on trains or you could erm ride it
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • MrBlond
    MrBlond Posts: 161
    Train to London Bridge, Thameslink up to Kings X?
  • ashfanman
    do they not put the bike together for you? :shock: they have bike spaces on trains or you could erm ride it

Yes, the bike is already in one piece. Unfortunately the only train station I can see in the area is DLR, which don't allow any non-folding bikes at any point.

And I know I can ride it - as I said, I'm trying to avoid slogging 20km through traffic lights and buses. I've never had any interest in cycling on roads, so I'm just trying to see if there are any other options!

*Wonders if the council would be able to elevate Greenwich town centre by about 1,000m and then create a red graded trail all the way to Bounds Green by this Saturday. Maybe if I ask nicely...*
  • MrBlond
    MrBlond Posts: 161
    Where in greenwich will you be??

If you're near the DLR you'll be 5 mins from a rail station tops.

You must be somewhere between Greenwich, Maze Hill and Lewisham stations - all have trains to LBG
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    20km...? Just ride it - it won't kill you (probably).
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    black cab?
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • ashfanman
    MrBlond wrote:
    Where in greenwich will you be??

If you're near the DLR you'll be 5 mins from a rail station tops.

You must be somewhere between Greenwich, Maze Hill and Lewisham stations - all have trains to LBG

Ahh, okay, well that's sorted then! I'll just ride it to the overground station and then take it from there. Sorry for the confusion - I only thought there was an underground and DLA station there.

And I'm not worried about cycling 20km from a physical point of view - I'm sure I'd cope. It's my sanity that I'd be more concerned about...

Thanks everyone!
  • ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    HAve to ask wats the dreaded R word?
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • cullen_bay
    cullen_bay Posts: 256
    R for Riding....
  • ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    Ohhhh taht makes sense now, sorry not really awake
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    cullen_bay wrote:
    R for Riding....

Yeah, you don't wanna be riding a push bike... :shock:
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    dave_hill wrote:
    cullen_bay wrote:
    R for Riding....

Yeah, you don't wanna be riding a push bike... :shock:

exactly, you wanna be pushing it!!
  • ashfanman
    Haha. Yes, 'R' for riding. Bikes are just for hanging clothes off, right?

No, it was 'R' for roads. I didn't mind hitting the black stuff when I lived in North Yorkshire as a means to getting somewhere more interesting to ride, but central London roads just don't do it for me. Much as I do love endless stop-start traffic lights and insane drivers...
  • I used to ride round Bangkok and I'm still alive. Well, mostly anyway. Riding round London is duff. That Hamster Man off Top Gear did it. Are you going to let a Hamster Man be better than you?
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    It's only 20km!!

If you keep your wits about you, you'll be fine. Ish.

Just ride, and it'll save you a grand in taxi fares, and getting kicked off the train (if you even made it that far!!)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke