XXL Helmets

Nifkin
Nifkin Posts: 52
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
Hello,

I've been looking about for a XXLarge helmet (coz my head is a massive 64cm!!), but the only one that seems to be available is the super-budget Specialized Air Force 3 XXL, which, although I'm sure it must have passed some sort of safety standards, is a bit of a limited option. Does anybody know of any other XXL helemts, or in fact any XL helmets that would cater for my head size? I know that coz my head is so big I must have quite a thick skull, but it would be nice to get a bit of extra protection!!! :D

Cheers

Nif :wink:
He's the Chungwit, the biff-boff and the puff pastry hangman

Comments

• tyax
    tyax Posts: 106
    Well, I've got a large skull too, and recently bought an Air Force 3... it's fine, but it only just fits my 62cm head, so I'd say try before you buy!

I had a similarly budget-priced Bell Triton before, which was fine, but the retention device gave up after a year or so.

Also, this may help :D
    2010 Specialized Competition Secateurs, hell yeh ;)
  • Gary D
    Gary D Posts: 431
    Try one of these:

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/20 ... elmet.html

I have one and it is equally as comfortable as my Ionos - whch cost more than twice the price :? :? It also weighs less believe it or not!

Hope this helps,
    Gary.
    Oh and I feel like I've been raped by an Orangutan :shock: And I've got legs like Girders :lol:
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I was going to suggest the Met as well. Good helmet for the money.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Most helmets have equal protection - what you get for more money is generally a lighter and more open helmet - so more air gets in.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    I've got a similar problem. Plus I need good ventilation as I sweat like a pig from the forehead while cycling!

I tried a few last year, I found these fit reasonably well:

Giro Ionos
    Giro the-old-top-of-the-range-before-Ionos (didn't ride with it)
    Met Testagrossa (didn't ride with it)
    Bell Sweep (I find most large size Bell helmets fit quite well)
    Cratini Ceron

These all have a little spare space in the adjustment for me, and I reckon I'd be a size 63.5.

I liked the Cratini (I may have the name slightly wrong) the most, especially for ventilation with the thicker pads which was brilliant. Trouble was, I found that the strapping came too far down the back of my head, so when I looked up / forwards when on the drops, the helmet was tipped forward and I couldn't see.

So I bought the Giro Ionos, which is excellent if a touch more "round" than I would ideally like.
    btw it's worth shopping around for an Ionos, I paid £100 last summer but I've seen them advertised between £95 and £160 since.