HELP! Avid Juicy 3 reservoir kits - like gold dust, UPDATE

razer
razer Posts: 64
edited May 2009 in MTB buying advice
I am in desperate need of two Avid Juicy 3 Reservoir kits as the seals have gone on mine. I have been waiting patiently for the last two weeks for my LBS to get them in (CRC out of stock till may) and just received a call that they wont be getting stock till the first week of June at the earliest.

Ive tried CRC and last week there site said they were getting some in on 1st May, ive just checked and this has now been withdrawn so im guessing my LBS and CRC have the same supplier.

Can anyone point me in the direction of any at all as im at my wits end with my 2yr old Marin East peak sitting at home and unusable.

My other option is to replace/upgrade the brakes (but this seems a bit extravagent really for the sake of a £9 part!) with something that i will actually be able to get replacement parts for. Does anyone have any replacement brake recommendations? Did think about Avid 5/7 or codes, but then am i going to run into the same spares predicament in the future? What about hopes? - HELP...

Also why are there not bloomin contact details (i.e. email address) on the SRAM site??!, does anyone have any?

Sorry for the rant but its driving me mad. :)
Thanks in advance

Comments

• papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    will juciy 5/7 ones work on the 3s?

you could try fisher outdoor, who are ther sram importers for the uk I think,.
  • razer
    Dont think so, looking over at CRC the screws are different lengths etc, difficult to see if the reservoir cap is the same size
  • razer
    Anyone?!?
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    you tried fisher?
  • razer
    yep, got an email back saying they are importers only and to contact my local via their website
  • razer
    Well after receiving an email from CRC last week that the Avid reservoir kits were in stock i decided to order the kit. Ive just tried to fit them and guess what, they have changed the design (mine are 2007).

The original reservoir kit is on the left and the new one on the right

533991011_GkU3T-M.jpg

As you can see they are totally different, not only is the diaphragm straight now (previously curved) but the distance between the two screw holes on the new kit has incresed!

Looks like im going to have to buy a complete new brake set afterall. It certainly wont be an avid one!
  • rorym
    rorym Posts: 13
    I replaced the ones on my Juicy 5s (2006 model) and they are exactly the same as the ones on the left of your picture.

Just checked, according to the Avid 2009 tech manual, page 13 & 14 they look the same.

The same reservoir kit does Juicy 3S/3SL, 05-07 Juicy 5, Code 5.

Have a look for yourself, get the spare parts catalog from

http://www.sram.com/en/service/sram/vie ... subcatID=1

Rory
  • razer
    That would be great if true!

Ive just looked at the following page:

http://www.sram.com/en/service/sram/tec ... s_2009.php

but page 13 & 14 of the manuals you say are for road brakes, can you be more specific?

Thanks!
  • razer
    Just looked at the CRC website and your right! Thanks for your help.

Annoyingly i could have fixed this weeks ago as they have been in stock for ever. Thanks again. Odd that they say for 3's and the caps on my 3's are actually 5's! weird
  • razer
    Well i can confirm that the Avid Juicy 5/7 reservoir kit fits my 2007 Juicy 3 levers. Worked a charm and all bled.

Thanks for the information :)
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    What a load of hassle though eh? :wink:
  • razer
    Your not wrong, there was me getting the credit card out for a set of Hope M4's as well.... then SWMBO found out about the repair option ;)