Trek 1.7c Advice

peanut1978
peanut1978 Posts: 1,031
edited May 2009 in Road beginners
Been cycling since the start of the year and covered about 2k miles so far (not out as much as I would like).
I find the saddle on my Trek 1.7 is a bit wide at the rear and digs in a bit on longer rides, I am also looking to change/uprgade the Bontrager Race Lite tyres.

Any advice would be greatfully welcomed.

Many thanks

Jed

Comments

• ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    Hi Peanut.
    If you are going to change your saddle, I would see if your LBS has any you can try out. What suits one person may not necesarrily suit another so it's all about personal choice.
    As for the tyres, I changed the Race Lites as soon as I got my first Trek a few years ago. I didn't feel safe on them in the wet. Personally I like Hutchinson Fusion tyres but the more popular on these forums appear to be Continental GP4000 or the Michelin Pro Races.
    Hope this helps
    AC
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Definitely try before you buy with saddles. I use a Fizik Aliante on my bikes and love it but you might think it's like getting rogered by an axe.

Tyres - I have been using GP 4000s but have had a couple of (un)sticky moments and will be changing to Vittoria. Open Corsa CX on the racer, Open Pave on the winter/trainer and I will be getting some classic look Veloflex Paves on my new Colnago.
  • peanut1978
    Thanks guys

also lookingto upgrade the wheels

Aksiums?
  • Anonymous
    Aksiums are a sideways move if anything IMO...

If you want a lighter wheelset for similar money to Aksiums, the only thing out there really are the Planet X Model Bs.

Used, however, that's a different story!
    There's plenty out there on eBay, e.g. (nowt to do with me BTW...)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bontrager-Race-x-lite-road-wheels_W0QQitemZ220404414461QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item220404414461&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
  • peanut1978
    nice one

look like nice wheels - great price - excellent reviews
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    A lot of shops will have a Bontrager or Specialized bumometer..... it measures the bones in your rear and tells them what saddle you need. Worth a go.

Tyres wise, Conti GP4000 are very good, as are Conti 4 Seasons for all year round use.

If you really want Mavic wheels my shop has a pair of Ksyrium Equipe (2008) for £270. For an extra £10 we could send them to you.
  • Anonymous
    Considering the Planet X wheels are a third the price and lighter than the Ksyriums!??

99 quid at the moment!
  • guilliano
    Ssssshhhh!

Weight is good on descents!
  • Anonymous
    That's where my fatty deposits come in!
  • peanut1978
    its my climbing that needs improving

descending is fair to middling at mo

thanks for your honesty Napoleon
  • Anonymous
    I have found my weight going uphill far outweighs any slight advantage it may give going down! Not least, you are going up for a far longer amount of time...
  • peanut1978
    again very true

if only descending was the predominant component of cycling, although some climers (small guys) are bloody fast on descents
  • Anonymous
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes.

A certain Marco Pantani for example!
  • peanut1978
    thats a whole different kettle of fish.

my meagre wages would not stretch to efficient blood doping procedures.

Only really cycling sportives at moment until I drop a little more weight anyway.
  • Anonymous
    Heh heh, no amount of doping can improve your descending to those levels! Except if you could take something that blocked fear and rational thought...

The four times I have done a (small) descent since 'then' have been rather scary for me :shock:
  • guilliano
    Something that blocks fear and rational thought? You mean like cocaine? Or alcohol? Maybe descending plastered is the way forward.... then if you crash you'll be too drunk to feel it
  • Anonymous
    That's what I was implying ;) Quite apt for Pantani!