Do i go the whole way?

2»

Comments

• tubby531
    tubby531 Posts: 18
    There's a good article about road bikes in the £400 range for beginners in the June issue of C+.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    I used a hybrid for years around London, from new until the frame broke: 12 years. (it was a trek and I still had the recipt so got a new bike!)

Heavy London traffic is best on an hybrid, and I still use an upright for commuting and shopping and carrying stuff around, when I need panniers and stuff.

But for fun ... just sit on any road bike. That's what happened to me in September. I just had a go on one while visiting the dentist - a Specialized Allez and it blew me away. I now own two: a Trek 1.7 and a fancy Italian steel Lazzaretti I bought in Rome that I built up for the fun of it.

Point is, even for a jaded hybrid commuter like me the experience of road bikes has been completely addictive. So I'd get one ... and then do your bad weather commutes on something crappy: my commuter is woman's Claude Butler steel, mixte frame light tourer that's 30 years old and was given to me as it had been abandoned in the office car park,
  • daveclow
    daveclow Posts: 164
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Well done there Dave, good man.

Bompington, my 18.5 mile each way commute involves 3 roundabouts, 3 sets of lights and 1 junction. It is mosty country roads, work is on the very southern tip of Manc. I am a very lucky commuter indeed! Hence the lack of brake block replacement.
    Last time I needed heavy braking I just used my leg. Which in turn resulted in heavy breaking of said leg :(

Dave, I look forward to seeing pics of your bike!

Ouch! I'm not planning on snapping any legs my rowing coaches would go nuts, its just coming into regatta season! hope the legs ok now.

The bonus is my work are doing the cycle scheme so ill be putting up some photos of my brand new Boardman Comp as soon as HR/Halfords can sort it out WHOOP :)
  • daveclow
    daveclow Posts: 164
    Ah also! being new this lark, and being a real speed freak...how fast will i be expecting to go on a nice smooth and flat surface?

what's your highest speeds on flat and on a downhill stretch??? :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Depends entirely on the wind, surface, elevation etc. I work / do my training off power rather than speed or HR...

I managed 260 watts for 5 mins this morning so I'm really chuffed, that's nearly what I could sustain for an hour before 'it' happened.
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    My highest speed is 43mph (My cheapie wireless Atech odometer has given a top speed of 79mph, but that must be an error. 43mph is believable however)
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    44mph is my fastest. My cruising speed on good tarmac in neutral conditions is about 21mph; with a decent tailwind probably more like 25mph (and with a crappy headwind, I'll be lucky to average 17mph). I am far from one of the fittest and speediest cyclists on here.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    @bice. What kind of dentist do you have? I'm looking for one who stocks a reasonable range of carbon road bikes and offers test rides. Mine just offres the pink mouthwash and a tissue. :(