Is this Moutain bike OK for what I need?

mrfmilo
mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
edited May 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
It's a Montana Equinox.
RRP : £249
Now £198

Normal street use, muddy tracks, gravel and bumpy tracks.

Is it good/bad?

http://biddlebikes.co.uk/catalog/produc ... cts_id=281

Thanks

PS. I don't need a proffesional one

Comments

• umm... its not great.
    You'd be much better of on a hardtail for that sort of price.

Whats your budget?

B
  • thebluefox
    thebluefox Posts: 200
    Yeah, you'd get a much better hardtail for that price.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    edited April 2009
    Any bike that has "32 Spoke Wheels" splashed down its side as some sort of boast has to be a heap.

As others have said, only consider hard tails at this price. Have a look at the stickies at the top of the Buying Advice forum.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • fred1star
    fred1star Posts: 428
    Sorry mate just don't go there. That shock will implode the second you hit the curb. Your far better taking your £200 and getting an end of season hardtail.. Trek 3500 or something like that, even GT.
    09 - Santa Cruz Heckler
    03 - Trek 8500
    95 - P7 (Dead, but I loved it)
    Year dot - Alpine Stars CR300 - Still going strong...
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    For that money you get junk if it`s full suspension.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    :shock: Stay away from that mate, it's no mountain bike!
  • mrfmilo
    I have a hardtail an the moment - a Dawes Fear

I want something for more off road use. Heavy Gravel, mud, bumpy tracks. What would you recommend for £200?
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    don't let the RRP fool you and think that its quite a bargain when its not.
    it will get the job done and take you from A to B on street and prop fine for fire roads, but you could easily get a bike which is alot more enjoyable to ride than that one and more suitable for trails.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    mrfmilo wrote:
    I have a hardtail an the moment - a Dawes Fear. I want something for more off road use. Heavy Gravel, mud, bumpy tracks. What would you recommend for £200?
    Suspension seat post and some big-volume tyres.
  • llamafarmer
    mrfmilo wrote:
    I have a hardtail an the moment - a Dawes Fear

I want something for more off road use. Heavy Gravel, mud, bumpy tracks. What would you recommend for £200?

A hardtail is more than capable of that.
  • ashfanman
    ashfanman Posts: 186
    Basically what you need to consider is that suspension is expensive, so the more you have, the less value you're getting elsewhere. You'd be more than fine with a fully rigid bike for 'mud' and 'bumpy trails', even ignoring the fact that the widely accepted entry point for a decent full susser is £1,000.

So I'd avoid anything with too many springy bits on it and go for something like this instead: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider ... -69566845/

You won't be disappointed...
  • mrfmilo
    OK thanks.

On my suspension it says ''Not suitable for Freeride, Jumping, Downhill....''

What kind of terrain CAN I ride with this bike/suspension?
  • mrfmilo wrote:
    OK thanks.

xc/bridlepaths/cycle network type forests etc. Just don't do big drops on it :)
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • llamafarmer
    mrfmilo wrote:
    OK thanks.

The suspension on the full susser you posted will be worse than on your current bike. Don't be fooled by the big twin crown forks, it's a horrible gimmicky thing!

Heavy gravel, mud and bumpy tracks sounds like pretty light cross country stuff to me, so I'd say get out on your current bike and enjoy yourself. If you want something more capable in the near future save up for a £350+ hardtail with properly damped forks (see the 'what hardtail?' thread).
  • mrfmilo
    Thanks everyone
  • thedirge
    thedirge Posts: 181
    yukon fx3 newbie here, £310
    Consequences.... are just a harmless by-product of having a good time, all the time.

Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    What bike do you have currently?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    He has a Dawes Fear.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Doh, so he does.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • deadliest
    deadliest Posts: 471
    I think we should campaign to make it illegal to sell those things as Mountain Bikes . . . . . . I had an Apollo 3 years ago when I first got a bike and I swear you could hear things Clanking and Falling off the first time I took it out . . . It lasted 3 months and died.
    Bikes are drugs and Im pedalling

http://sherwoodpines.yolasite.com/
  • ive done my research and it honestly weighs about the same as a small moon.
  • Had a blast on a mate's Carrera Vulcan the other day, which is the same price as what you're looking at. Although he's upgraded the forks on it, I have to say I had the time of my life. Untill I killed it...but that was the bike's fault - it bombs down hills! The bruised face was worth it. Recommended.
  • mrfmilo
    Thanks alot.