Aligator rotors

junglist_matty
junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
edited May 2009 in MTB buying advice
Anyone use / used them?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/180mm-GOLD-Alliga ... otohosting

...I don't fancy spending £40 on a new 185mm rotor and adaptor for my juicy 3's as they were only £60. Ideally, looking to spend no more than £20 to get a bigger rotor for the front.

Does anyone know if they will fit using the Shimano 180mm adaptor? or using the Rear IS 160mm adaptor (apparantley using a rear 160 on the front means you can run a 180mm rotor?).

Cheers.

Comments

• trekhead
    trekhead Posts: 626
    yeah, I have them on my EX8 and they are very good and they look nice!
    click on the pic below

sean
    ole ginger b*ll*cks / the ginger ninja
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    OK... So I just ordered myself 2x 180mm Gold Aligator Rotors, a front POST to IS 180 20mm adaptor and a rear POST to IS 180 adaptor!

...I just hope the adaptors will put the calipers into the correct positions or its going to be a mission to find some adaptors that are correct as Avid rotors are only 185 not 180, but hopefully with some luck it will all fit!
  • trekhead
    trekhead Posts: 626
    Matty
    on the front brake I had to take out the two spacers (about 5mm each) on the mounting bolts. This allows the caliper to sit further into the disc surface area otherwise it`s trying to brake on the `arms` of the rotor. It`s well secure, just make sure you`ve got a dab of locktite on the bolts. If you`re increasing the size of the rear rotor, I suggest you do the same.
    Worth it though, they look the mutts nuts and get loads of comments

cheers

Sean
    ole ginger b*ll*cks / the ginger ninja