Sourcing an unfinished steel track frame

grantus
grantus Posts: 690
edited May 2009 in Road general
Where would be the best place to get a simple unfinished Cro-Mo track frame in the UK?

I would like to get a bar frame and do my own paint job and build on it but I don't want to spend an absolute fortune.

I've tried googling but all I can find are other people's finished frames for a good few hundred quid which is not what i'm looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Buy one of t'eBay that looks a little tatty then get it stripped and paint it yourself?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,113
    Find a framebuilder, get him to build you a frame and ask for it unfinished. Someone like Bob Jackson or Mercian would probably do that for you.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    grantus wrote:
    Where would be the best place to get a simple unfinished Cro-Mo track frame in the UK?

I would like to get a bar frame and do my own paint job and build on it but I don't want to spend an absolute fortune.

I've tried googling but all I can find are other people's finished frames for a good few hundred quid which is not what i'm looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

See this thread: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12620626

Fred Steele maybe could help, or others who replied.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • weaty
    weaty Posts: 122
    I just got some forks for my pompino from www.webbline.co.uk he has a track frame and forks for £135.
    He seems like a good guy, maybe he could do it unpainted if you ask him, though I would doubt, worth a try.

Cheers
    p
  • ohlala!
    ohlala! Posts: 121
    Hi,

I just bought an alu/carbon frame unpainted from Graham Weigh Cycles. They're based in wales. Quality and price is good and delivery is very good. You might want to give them a call and ask whether they have any track frames for sale.

Their phone number is 01244 831110

I think their is another UK frame builder called wilson cycles based in Sheffield who mostly build frames using Reynolds tubing.

I've decided to polish my frame to a mirror finish, not yet done but it'll look gorgeous.

hope this helps.