Oh god help me, what have I done

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited May 2009 in MTB general
I bought some titanium bolts :shock: Quick, someone take away my credit card, I can no longer be trusted to shop for myself. It's only one small step from here to buying Yumeya.
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i have some nice snapped and bent Ti bolts you can have.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    How much?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    I bought carbon jockey wheels and a carbon backplate for my rear mech once.

They were crap, and now sit in my drawer not being used.
  • If the odd bolt doesn't occasionaly break, then they're too strong in the 1st place! :lol:
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • Northwind
    My leg's held on with titanium bolts so I hope they're not that fragile :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Chaps, 1993 called, they want their inappropriate obsession with light weight back.

Not that we were guilty of fuelling it back in the day at all, oh no...
    John Stevenson
  • I remember there being a t-shirt knocking around back then, slogan "My nuts are titanium". Wanted one quite badly but decided by riding topless instead of wearing the shirt I could save more weight than by buying the nuts.
    "The problem was, I was still using my eyes even though I had them shut"

Demoted to commuting duty

Orange Crush!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Theres nothing wrong with the occasional Titanium bolt I can handle it I could give it up any time I wanted one more wouldnt hurt me
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stibs

Yeah, yeah and you're fine, you've just got a bit of anti-seize at the moment...

:)
    John Stevenson
  • Northwind
    This is how titanium pushers get you hooked... Your mate crashes his motorbike, and then buys the salvage off the insurance company before realising he has no idea how to fix it, so you buy it off him, then strip it for parts and sell them. Among these parts you find a small selection of titanium bolts, innocuous enough but still, somehow you never get round to selling them. After a while, you notice that they'll fit in your own motorbike, and replace some nasty OEM spec bolts with them. It's not really like you're doing titanium, it's just easy when they're lying there. And then you forget about it. Right?

But then, you get a mountain bike, and you think "Well, those titanium bolts in the motorbike make no difference to a 170kg machine... But I bet I could put some of those in the pushbike". So you do, and they save perhaps as many as 8 or 9 grams. But also, they look good. And after that, every time you see a nasty rusty stem bolt or cheap looking black shimano brake mount bolt, you think to yourself that the titanium ones really are nicer. And you've already fitted some, and no harm came of it, so you might as well get some more.

And the next thing you know, you're fellating a bolt dealer for your next hit.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Northwind wrote:
    This is how titanium pushers get you hooked....

This is just how the pushers get you started. You start off thinking the odd titanium hit is fine... you can handle it.... not that expensive. But then you start slipping into mainlining carbon bolts

672424-1.jpg

At £50 a pop, you're now really hardcore, send the other half out on the streets to fund your habit, loose the house, kids. Burglary is just a natural step after that. And off course the carbon bolts will kill you. One day you will just have overdosed on carbon, one will snap and that's it... game over....

Just say No Kids :wink:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    I 'spose carbon bolts were only ever the next logical step though.

We've already got carbon rims for MTB's. What will be carbon next?

Maybe carbon spokes like the roadies, or carbon hubs? Hmm... And gearbox designs that are lighter than convensional drivetrains, with almost zero maintainence...

Sorry, sidelining again.

What you REALLY want to do is fill your tyres with helium (or better yet, hydrogen - more lift!)

8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Mmmmm........

I must admit to purchasing a couple of Ti bolts for my hardtail just to plug up the bottle cage bosses, also replaced the stock plastic steerer tube spacers with carbon ones just to save 0.5g :oops:

Also been known to replace a perfectly good LX front mech with an XT one because of the letters on it and the fact it 'looked' better. Works exactly the same as the LX one :roll: .

It is addictive.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    my current new thing is to replace the bits of my bikes which are perfectly serviceable with parts of a more preferable colour.

oh and selling stuff for less than it is worth, its a disease.................
  • Northwind
    edited May 2009
    Maybe we could dispense with bolts, and just use superglue instead. I wonder what's lighter, bostick or uhu?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    I have no Ti parts on my bikes..but I have a ti watch and mug.

edit: Actually thats total lie..I have Ti QR skewers..
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    my current new thing is to replace the bits of my bikes which are perfectly serviceable with parts of a more preferable colour.

oh and selling stuff for less than it is worth, its a disease.................

What's your usermname on ebay, just out of interest...? :twisted:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • NigelSWales
    NigelSWales Posts: 196
    I 'spose carbon bolts were only ever the next logical step though.

We've already got carbon rims for MTB's. What will be carbon next?

Maybe carbon spokes like the roadies, or carbon hubs? Hmm... And gearbox designs that are lighter than convensional drivetrains, with almost zero maintainence...

Sorry, sidelining again.

What you REALLY want to do is fill your tyres with helium (or better yet, hydrogen - more lift!)

8)

Hydrogen filled tyres, now that gives me an idea ;) im sure uni wont mind me borrowing some :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For non used bolts nylon are dirt cheap and as light as carbon, sure ain't very sexy though!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Northwind
    Wee grub screws weigh basically nothhing and look good too, for cage and rack mounts. That's actually a genuinely non-ridiculous suggestion, they cost about 5p each ;) And come in black finish if you want it.
    Uncompromising extremist