Whinlatter 24/04/09

dannytiesto
dannytiesto Posts: 9
edited April 2009 in Routes
Just thought i'd share my experiences of the Whinlatter Altura red trail on Friday just gone.

WOW.. loved every minute of it. It was only my second ride (Gisburn forest the month before) since i bought my Cube back in Feb. So was desperate to see what me and the new bike could do..

5 of us set off, and we were down to 4 within 2 mins. :cry:

A friend came off at the start, snapping his seatpost in the process, so while he went to try and get a new one we carried on to do the first loop.

Not sure how everyone with experience rates this place, but for me it was a corker. Tempted to go this bank hol, but it'll no doubt be rammed and i'm sure i aint up to speed with most the experienced riders.

That aside, is there any other places anyone can recommend in the lancashire area for this bank hol?..

Would ideally like something at the level of Whinlatter.

Cheers.

Danny.

Comments

• JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    I dont suppose you seen a bloke on a white Genesis and a white pisspot helmet, and another guy on a Rock Lobster? :)

We were there from 12 til about 5, did south loop twice and north one once. Had a chat with few groups, could well have been you!
  • TheDogman
    TheDogman Posts: 28
    Danny - have a look at Grizedale Forrest - about 1.5hours north of lancashire, but closer than Whinlatter.

It've been many times and always had a blast there - really good red route with a few tricky sections thrown in.

Also, if you have an OS map of the area, there are a load of additional tracks that you can ride, it's well worth exploring.

There is also a decent shop at the vistor centre, so if you snap another seatpost they can get you back up and running quickly!
  • JxL - i do indeed remember the white pisspot helmet!! ha. They cycled up past the bike shop while we were on the car park below. The only people we spoke to were a guy and his other half just after my mate dropped 12ft, and the bike almost landed on them below! ha.

The other 2 lapped us round the north loop, one on a green specialized full suspension and the other a white number (not up with the bikes when they whizz past! haha).

Dogman - cheers for the advice, spoke with my mate this evening (who i'll be going with on Sunday), about your suggestion of Grizedale, and we're good to go!.

Will try sort out a map of the area and get exploring!

Cheers again :D

Danny
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    That aside, is there any other places anyone can recommend in the lancashire area for this bank hol?..

Cheers.

Danny.

Whereabouts in Lancashire?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    We rode there on Sunday (26th) and it was fabulous! Definitely up there with the best that I have ever ridden :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • dave_hill wrote:

Cheers.

Danny.

Whereabouts in Lancashire?

Just outside of Preston.