Truvativ Bottom Bracket removal - Help please

jockass
jockass Posts: 57
edited April 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I am trying to remove the bottom bracket from my giant trance. I have removed the crank using the extractor and am able to loosen the non drive side where the bearing is housed. I am not able to unloosen the drive side. Should i be able to do this with more muscle or is it a case of tapping the cartridge out from the side i have been able to loosen. I have looked on the parktools website and sram but am still non the wiser.

Jock[/img]

Comments

• BorisSpencer
    BorisSpencer Posts: 786
    edited April 2009
    Is it the powerspline one? If so the non-drive side undoes normally (anticlockwise), and the the drive side unscrews clockwise (LH thread).

Edit - Reading your post again it doesn't sound like the powerspline BB.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what model and year is the crank/frame?

Truvativ what? and 200? trance?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jockass
    It is the trance 2007 model and the bottom bracket is the truvativ powerspline. Not sure on the year of that.

Thanks
  • nicklouse
    you are turning the correct way.

bb04.jpg
    bb02.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • jockass
    yes, that was the instructions i was following. The difficulty i am having is using the bbt2 parktool. It does not slot into the notches in the bracket far enough as it falls out unless i am pushing it in. This does not allow me to get good purchase and loosen it off.
  • nicklouse
    is the axle hollow?

get a rear QR axle and a washer or two and use that to clamp the tool in place that should help. and a spanner rather than a ratchet.
  • jockass
    Unfortunately the axle is not hollow. All I can think off is finding a bolt and using that and a washer to clamp it in place. Thanks for your help!
  • nicklouse
    bolt them M12 or M14 IIRC

there is a bb tool that has a built in thread holder that your LBS may use.
  • Have you got the replacement BB ready to go in?
    Read the instructions that came with it, because when I did mine last week it did appear to be the opposite of how the Park Tools website read.

I used a mates cordless impact wrench to get mine out, it allows you to push whilst undoing it.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    jockass wrote:
    Unfortunately the axle is not hollow. All I can think off is finding a bolt and using that and a washer to clamp it in place. Thanks for your help!

The axle isn't hollow but it can be knocked out with a hammer, bearing in mind this will render it useless but if you're replacing it then it's not a problem.

Just give the axle a good smack with a hammer and it'll come right out then you'll be able to get a QR through.

I feel your pain. I've got the same BB on one of my bikes and trying to get any purchase with the removal tool is a royal PITA.
  • I feel your pain. For the last 3 hours I've been doing dexactly the same as you, got the non drive side, the drive side won't budge. I've bottle the removal tool in place but the spanner I've used just bends. How tight do they need to do these things.

I think the only solution is to buy a bigger spanner!!!

Best fo luck!

Rob
  • nicklouse
    try some plus gas.
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    The final solution for me was to cut notches and sections out the lip of the bottom bracket that protrudes beyond the BB shell. Cut notches about 10mm apart all the way around with a hacksaw, being careful not to damage the BB shell. I then just folded these sections inwards with a pair of pliers. Once I'd done enough sections I was able to remove the BB by hand :roll:
  • jockass
    Managed to get the bugger off with the help of my local bike shop and a wrench extended with an old bike tube. Goodbye powerspline, hello mr xt!
  • Same here, I used an extendable tyre wrench. Still bloody hard work though. Goodbye powerspline, hello.......powerspline...DOH!

Rob