Headset Handlebar Hell

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited April 2009 in The workshop
I recently changed the stem on my Trek 1.7 installing a slightly longer and lighter unit and was surprised to find a little rust and the horrid white alu power, I duly cleaned this off fitted the new part and went on my way however a month later I decided to change my stem height, simple enough but almost immediately afterwards developed a loud clicking from the headset area under any load, this totally spoilt my ride and caused me to fiddle with all the bolts in the area, first tightening them then loosening, nothing seemed to affect the noise so today I removed the forks and all and have found two potential issues for which I now seek the advise of the "wise ones" :shock:

My Trek has a cane creek sealed bearing IS headset which is peppered with rust and grime (now cleaned) the bearings themselves are a little rough ATM I will shortly flush then regrease but should I be worried by slight rust?

Where my previous Bontrager stem plate held the handlecbars there's a definite groove or indentation in the metal, should I replace the handlebars?

Also as i've now disassembled my forks is there any benefit to swapping them for my new Condor full carbon forks, would it make a different other than a slight weight saving.

Ta
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Buy a new bike.

Honest answer? You mess with your bikes way too much!
  • itboffin
    biondino wrote:
    Buy a new bike.

Honest answer? You mess with your bikes way too much!

Yes and your point would be what!?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    itboffin wrote:
    ... I will shortly flush then regrease but should I be worried by slight rust?
    Nah, don't sweat it.
    Where my previous Bontrager stem plate held the handlecbars there's a definite groove or indentation in the metal, should I replace the handlebars?
    Nope- mild wear & tear, don't worry about it.
    Also as i've now disassembled my forks is there any benefit to swapping them for my new Condor full carbon forks, would it make a different other than a slight weight saving.

Dunno, sorry. I've never tried carbon.

Cheers,
    W.
  • itboffin
    All the parts are back together BUT I can't remember if the top cartridge bearing unit was flush with the head tube :? it seems to sit happily in the recess and turns smoothly.
  • itboffin
    Well a quick test ride reveals no noise of any kind which is a worry in itself, you just know that 20 miles into my next ride the clicking will be back, this time the bike will be thrown away :evil:

Headset, stem and handlebars removed
    every part cleaned, de-rusted & re-greased
    reassembled in a similar order :oops: luckily no spares this time :oops:

QR skewers removed cleaned and greased including the forks ends, O yes!
    Front brake remove cleaned with cotton buds and lubed then refitted and adjusted just so.
    Every screw covered in copper slip, ooow gold & shiny :D
    Forks covered with teflon spray
    Small tubes of various greases added to the ever growing saddle bag.

I think that should cover it.