Winter-ising a bike

bobtbuilder
bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
edited May 2009 in Workshop
I hope to purhase a new Orbea Orca this year which will enable me to turn my existing bike into a dedicated Winter training bike.

My two questions are:

1) Can mudguards be fitted to any bike? I currently ride a Trek OCLV carbon which is a few years old.

2) What other additions / changes could be made to make a decent Winter training bike?

Thanks,

Comments

• robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Can't believe you're using the "w" word and it's still April!

Bad boy, dirty boy, in your bed!!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • bobtbuilder
    Can't believe you're using the "w" word and it's still April!

LOL - hopefully I can get some "W" items at a good price then!
  • As long as there is clearance etween the wheel and the fork/top of the wheel stay. Helps to have the two holes above the wheel drop-outs on both the fork and wheel stays to attach the guards to, but I think you can get certain models which attach on the nuts, although this is for older bikes, I think.

Definitely use thicker wet lube - Something you'd use on a mountain bike.

I used schwalbe stelvio 23mm tyres all winter and they coped admirably, although I'm sure the gear section of this website/lbs can recommend something if you can't get them.

Winter overshoes are a must - The need for Windproof clothing cannopt be overstated!

Thermal longs/base layers are soooooooo important also - Skiing ones in ebay tend to be cheaper than cycling specific ones form my experience.

The chances are you will fall off at some point so for god's sake where a helmet.

Every night clean your rims with a bit of degreaser/muc-off and also your brake cartridges - A build up of dirt dampens the braking force.

Don't be ashamed of getting off and walking in very built-up snow areas such as quiet streets - Main roads tend to clear of snow better than quiet surburban areas.

Keep spare socks and underwear in case they get really wet and are still wet when you go home from work/wherever you have been.

Finally - Make sure you clean your bike at least once a week - The amount of dirt and grit your bike accumulates is catastrophically bad for the frame and your drivetrain and makes it very hard to get about compared to a smooth running bike.

FYI - I use an old red raleigh racer for winter/rainy days as I don't mind it getting worn faster than it would when it's dry. Sunny/dry days brings out my casati alu/carbon road bike.

Your bike will go through it during winter - So don't ride something you're emotionally aattached to!
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • bobtbuilder
    Winter overshoes are a must - The need for Windproof clothing cannopt be overstated!

I have all the proper clothing, as I do continue to ride during the Winter, but I have noticed the damage that Winter has been doing to my once fine looking machine.

Now that we are moving house, I will have the room for a second bike, and would like to have one for Summer and one for Winter riding.
  • I'd definitely go for a cheap road bike - You can get thin tyres with tread on but mine were smooth.

Look on ebay for road bikes under £100 - Nothing 'disposable' but something you wouldn't mind going through the walls. - You could even treat it as a project!

Spend your money on excessive quantities of quality clothing - the smart winter cyclist's investment of choice! :D
  • bobtbuilder
    I'd definitely go for a cheap road bike

But I have my heart set on an Orbea Orca!
  • Haha!

I'm sure whatever you get you'll take good care of it - Just be prepared to give it some love if you want to keep it in good condition.

Thick lube and lots of cleaning - Give the chain, crank rings and cassette a wipe down with teflon spray on a cloth to remove the daily buil-up and then add the lube. This makes the weekend clean much easier.

What's an Orbea Orca! :?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would advise this -

Sell the Trek frame, they still command good mahunnie of eBay.

Use the money to upgrade the bits on the Orca and buy a proper winter frame from somewhere like Rick Green or Ribble that you can put mudguards on and takes a beating.
    Move the bits off the Trek and put it on new winter bike...

Done.
  • bobtbuilder
    Thanks NapoleonD - I hadn't considered that. It's a USPS frame, so there may be some money in it.
    What's an Orbea Orca!

This is an Orbea Orca: http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/114519.html
  • Anonymous
    Thanks NapoleonD - I hadn't considered that. It's a USPS frame, so there may be some money in it.
    What's an Orbea Orca!

This is an Orbea Orca: http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/114519.html

Plenty money in it then! Ensure it's advertised in US, they go bonkers for them, mention Lance Armstrong in the title and watch the bids come in!
  • Wow! Nice bike.

You can not ride this during winter. I won't let you!

Come March 2010 you'll be in tears!

Get it now. And then get a £100 hack. You'll thank yourself when you're behind a salt gritter!
  • Got any recommendations for winter spd shoes? I have quality neoprene overshoes but need something to keep up the belt and braces approach!
  • Anonymous
    Sidi Gore Tex, if I could be bothered to spend the money on them and not bling, they would be top of my wintr purchase list.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=F4000

F4000.jpg
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    You can get thin tyres with tread on but mine were smooth.

Noo, noo, nooo !

Not that old chestnut again !

a) all tyres have tread : tread is the rubber on the outside of the radial/crossply carcass inside the tyre
    - you mean 'tread pattern', not 'tread'

b) tread pattern is necessary for mountain bike tyres because they're designed for use in mud or sand, but is not necessary for road bike tyres on a wet road.
    You won't aquaplane, slide off on the wet, just because you're on smooth ('slick') tyres - they'll grip on wet roads better than pattern-treaded tyres because they have more rubber touching the road.
    It's different on a car, that does need pattern-treaded tyres, but think how much wider a car tyre is than a bike tyre and hence how much water can get under it.
    Some tyres grip better in the wet but that's because they have grippier rubber (and hence wear-out faster...)
  • bobtbuilder
    Wow! Nice bike.

You can not ride this during winter. I won't let you!

No - this will be by Summer bike, and my existing bike will be winterised.
  • Ah, I stand corrected!

Good tyres nonetheless!

Especially in winter...unlike the beautiful finish on the framework and cranks/sprockets on a Orbea Orca!

Don't do it! :)
  • badhand
    badhand Posts: 115
    Not once have you suggested that the Orbea would be the winter bike!! Don't worry - everyone else gets it :roll: