focus cayo or Culebro / Culebro Tria

a1value
a1value Posts: 7
edited May 2009 in Road beginners
Hi all and sorry to pust another £1000 bike thread, but really would appriciate some advice.

I am a little torn between different bikes, was really looking at the Cayo 09, but then the nice people at wiggle have given 25% off the Culebro.

About me. Currnetly I have a old carrera virtuosa - 2006 I think, which is heavy and creaky and time to be retired on a turbo trainer.

I have an odd 20K ride per week, and have completed several sprint tri's (20k again), but looking to push to 40km distances. I am more looking for speed with less effort, then speed alone - i.e. save 20% of energy to lose a few mins. That sounds daft, but hope you can understand what I mean.

Other bikes that are in my range are the Ribble sportives, planet x or boardman team carbon. I have a grand or so, but want more value than anything.

Please help!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Get the cayo, it will be more of a all-rounder and you can stick some tri-bars on it if situation/event dictates. IMHO.
  • Garrigou
    Garrigou Posts: 145
    Agree with dmclite. We've got a Cayo and a Culebro 'in the family' and the Cayo gets (slightly) better reviews from those who ride it. Close call though. Wouldn't spend more than an extra 200-quid on it.
    Between me & Eddy Merckx we've won pretty much everything worth winning on a bike.
  • a1value
    Looks like its the cayo then, just wish wiggle would have reduced the Cayo by 25% !!

Thanks for all the advice - very much appriciated
  • COVEC
    COVEC Posts: 213
    It might be worth a bit of a wait, Wiggle have been selecting different Focus bikes to discount by 25-30% roughly every couple of weeks. I do not think the lower end Cayo's have been reduced to date(could be wrong on that).

COVEC
  • a1value
    Yes, I have been thinking that myself, but I have been waiting since Christmas!

They were actually cheaper then as they were £1000, with 10% off, so about the 900 mark, now they are 1100 less 10%.

Money is burning a hole in my pocket!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'll have it then, I'll get one of the Lightweight rear derailleurs and some Lightweight Skewers, ta!
  • shane515
    shane515 Posts: 139
    Just my 10pence...........good choice, get the Cayo great bike, love mine :oops:
  • vision267
    vision267 Posts: 149
    I would recommend the cayo as well.Light fast and great fun
  • Hi, can I just ask if anyone has any strong opinions/has heard much about the Focus Culebro??

I'm in a similar position to A1value in terms of money to spend etc. Put am off on a ride from London to Morocco, so was looking for something in the way of a triple to tackle the pyrenees. Seem to get a lot of bike for your money with the Focuses, but was tole the cayo might have a bit to 'race' orientated geometry....