Semi new to cycling - need new bike

Alinshearah
Alinshearah Posts: 339
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
I was hoping that the clever people on this fourm could help me chose a new bike.
I've been commuting every day for the last year on a beat up 15 year old Halfords no name MTB. Buckled wheel, only one chain wheel, and dodgey brakes. You get the picture. The commute is 12 miles each way along cycle paths and road (Newcastle Quayside and up the Tyne valley for those that know the area). Anyway, with the money I've saved, I've decieded to treat myself to a new bike in the £350/£400 range. The following caught my eye at the local Edinburgh Cycles. Can anyone give me the plus/minuses of the two bikes, and or offer any alternative bikes that I should consider.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=10820&f%5FFullProductVersion=1&f%5FSupersetQRY=C416&f%5FSortOrderID=1&f%5Fbct=c012372c012370
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=10812&f%5FFullProductVersion=1&f%5FSupersetQRY=C416&f%5FSortOrderID=1&f%5Fbct=c012372c012370

Thanks for any advice. Cheers

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    It seems like you've got to choose between disc brakes and more gears.

Now, I don't know the area at all, I'm afraid, but given the trade-off, I'd almost certainly go for the courier 27, it's got a lot more gear options for the hills than the race with its one chainring... also it weighs less!

Don't be put off by tyres and such, they're things you can change... and normal brakes are just fine and dandy. You might like to upgrade the pads/blocks in time if you find them insufficient, but I'm sure they'll be an upgrade from your halfords one.

Is it possible for you to ride them?

Hope that helps at least a little bit!
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    They are very similar bikes. Tough call.

The gears on the disc equipped on are of a lower quality than those on the rim-brake equipped bike, so likely the cost is taken somewhere else - wheels and brakes I think.

The disc bike has 700c wheels (road bike size) whereas the other one has 26" wheels (mtb size). The bigger wheels will likely be a bit better suited to tarmac and fast cycle paths. You'll also have access to a good choice of road and touring tyres which you would be able to get more pressure in (than the equivalent, and narrower range of) mtb slicks. This will increase the advantages on road.

I doubt the braking performance will be too much different in either case, but the discs are going to be a bit more consistent and the wheels will last longer.

I'd go with the disc one myself, but then I have just switched to a disc equipped cross bike to stop having to worry about the faff of rim brakes through the winter.