Nasty Squeak on my Toras - VIDEO ADDED

hairy_boy
hairy_boy Posts: 345
edited June 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

My 6 month old Rockshox Toras 2009 SL (100mm travel coil) forks have developed a nasty squeak.

The noise occurs as the forks extend to full length, not the downstroke. So, for example, I am riding along and as I lift the front wheel for an obstacle/kerb then as the fork extends from the sag positon I get the nasty squeak.

If I bob up and down, again I get the nasty squeak as the forks extend.

I would say the squeak appears to be coming from the right side leg (the side with the lockout) but can;t be certain.

Everything seems to be working OK - is it just due an oil change do you think. Its 6 months old now and I haven't changed the oil yet ?

Also, is an oil change relatively straightforward ? Do I need any replacement seals or should everything come apart and then you re-use everything putting it back together ?
I fitted the forks myself and have bled my disc breaks so am pretty handy but haven't done an oil change on a suspension fork yet ?

VIDEO NOW ADDED BELOW ON POST OF MAY 25TH

Comments

• send them to TFTuned or a service if your not sure.
    http://www.tftunedshox.com/service/rockshox.aspx
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    do you put any oil/lube around the seals on the stanctions? might just be a bit too dry?
  • hairy_boy
    dunker wrote:
    do you put any oil/lube around the seals on the stanctions? might just be a bit too dry?

I do give them a quick squirt of Teflon lube after cleaning the bike (which is all I used to do with the Suntour XCR's which were on my Giant). Should I be doing more to lube the stanchions/seals ?
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    well i think rockshox recommend using fork oil around the stanction seals, so a smear of rockshox 5wt,10wt or 15wt fork oil around the seals, pump forks a few then wipe off. dunno if it'll get rid of the squeek though?
  • hairy_boy
    dunker wrote:
    well i think rockshox recommend using fork oil around the stanction seals, so a smear of rockshox 5wt,10wt or 15wt fork oil around the seals, pump forks a few then wipe off. dunno if it'll get rid of the squeek though?

Thanks Dunker, I'll give that a go before taking anything apart !
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hairy Boy wrote:
    dunker wrote:

I do give them a quick squirt of Teflon lube after cleaning the bike (which is all I used to do with the Suntour XCR's which were on my Giant). Should I be doing more to lube the stanchions/seals ?

what "Teflon" Lube?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hairy_boy
    nicklouse

I have been using Weldtite TF2 spray lube.

I have just tried cleaning the stanchions and then oiling (cycle oil from halfords). More oiling/pumping/cleaning/oiling/pumping/cleaning the stanchions and dust seals to no avail.

I have now tried a little castrol engine oil on the stanchions, pumped then cleaned again.

Still got the nasty squeak on the return stroke - this will drive me crazy and I am pretty sure the forks didn't do this when new ?

Any suggestions ? Should they be silent even when pumped up and down hard ?

Are other peoples Tora 302/SL's pretty silent ?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Pretty bad stuff for froks is aerosol spray as the solvents can swell bushings and seals, or rot them, as well as diluting any lube in there.

Need to drip teflon chain oil or fork oil on there.
  • hairy_boy
    supersonic

Thanks, I'll maybe get some fork oil and try. Not convinced it will sort the squeak though but worth a try.

Should they be silent or is a squelchy squeak when the forks extend from compressed normal ?
  • supersonic
    Depending on the rebound setting, you will hear a gasp or swoosh as the oil flows through the valve.
  • nicklouse
    Hairy Boy wrote:
    nicklouse

I have now tried a little castrol engine oil on the stanchions, pumped then cleaned again.

very bad idea,

Coil forks? i bet the spring is rubbing on the leg .
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • hairy_boy
    [quote="nicklouse
    Coil forks? i bet the spring is rubbing on the leg .[/quote]

Thanks Nicklouse, are you saying this is normal then with coil forks or is there something I can do to fix it ?
  • nicklouse
    it can happen if the srink sleeve moves.

you need to look inside or forget about it and just use the fork and it might shut up.
  • hairy_boy
    nicklouse wrote:
    it can happen if the srink sleeve moves.

you need to look inside or forget about it and just use the fork and it might shut up.

Thanks Nicklouse,
    I was thinking about getting a torque wrench so this might give me a reason to invest now !
  • hairy_boy
    The squeak has returned - thought I had cured it with an oil change but its back pretty quickly, probably once the oil had settled.

Is this normal with 100mm coil Toras (2009 SL) ?

You may need to increase your volume - the noise sounds fairly quiet as this was shot on my camera. Hope this link to youtube works:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=832WMgyK3Cs

Its definately more on the rebound - typically when lifting the front wheel when riding.

Is this normal ?
  • supersonic
    Sounds perfectly normal! Oil going through the valves.
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    Yeah, perfectly normal. Just the damper working.
  • hairy_boy
    supersonic
    BoardinBob

feel a bit silly now :oops:

Pleased you guys have confirmed my forks are normal and its me who is abnormal :shock:

Must arrange a session with my shrink :lol:
  • I have the same issue. I just bought a 2009 Gary Fisher Piranha with that fork, and as my fork extends it lets out an awful (yet cute) squeak. A very similar squeak to that of a teddy bear or a dog toy. The folks at the shop where I bought the bike thought it was just the oil escaping from the fork and said it would go away with time.

Help me?
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    its normal, its ok, its fine
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5