Do you want to help promote cycling in the media?

peony
peony Posts: 10
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
I am looking for fun cycling crazy men, women and families to feature in magazines and newspapers to help promote cycling in the run up to the Olympics.

Has cycling changed your life for the better?
Has it helped your health or helped you lose weight?
Has it helped you find love or bonded your family?
Have you had any adventure on your bike?
Do you have a quirky story about you and your bike?

If that sounds like you then please get in touch asap with a contact number and you could end up having your photo in a glossy magazine or newspaper and promote cycling in the UK.

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Yes! OMFG everything is awesome now!

Yes, actually it has.

No... but that wasn't really what I was hoping for. Unrealistic expectiations, anyone?

I have had many adventure on my bike.

Hmmmmm. How quirky were you thinking?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Yes! Being physically fit has given me more confidence, I feel healthier and my attitude is a lot more positive. I'm more "can do" in my approach to life.

Yes, it has, lots.

Funnily yes. My girlfriend and I were planning a short trip to the Lake District in August 2008, I however somehow accidentally bought a roadbike. I couldn't afford both a roadbike and a weekend away in the same month. To make it up to her we went to Spain the following month and it was there that I realised I wanted to live with her and make a happy home. - True story.

Every bike ride is an adventure.

See above.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Has cycling changed your life for the better?

You forgot "LOL" and a wink.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Greg66 wrote:

... not to mention the word like between is and awesome. :)

Same thread is in the Road section (over there --> look), and someone has beaten me to it, but do we want to use quirky to promote cycling? It's fun, healthy, green etc, but quirky sounds a bit too much One Show to me. Anyway...

Has cycling changed your life for the better? Not really. It's another way of spending vast amounts of money on a leisure pursuit. Used to be hi-fi etc, now cycling.
    Has it helped your health or helped you lose weight? Health yes - a lot fitter. Weight no. Still around 14st but it's muscle not lard.
    Has it helped you find love or bonded your family? Heck no. Bye - I'll be back in a few hours if I don't get mashed by a truck. You can look after the boys whilst I go off enjoying myself.
    Have you had any adventure on your bike? Oh yes.
    Do you have a quirky story about you and your bike? Umm. No.
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Has cycling changed your life for the better? Oh yes, I am a completely different person now that I cycle, less stressed, calmer, happier and generally more alert and mentally quick
    Has it helped your health or helped you lose weight? I have lost around a stone since cycling and have increased muscle tone and flexibility
    Has it helped you find love or bonded your family? I now visit family members more regularly as I don't have to depend on public transport and cycling is quicker
    Have you had any adventure on your bike? Every day is an adventure :)
    Do you have a quirky story about you and your bike? Yes, I'm probably the only black female in London to be seen riding an electric mountain bike that make Knightriders Kit look like an old banger...:P
    Plus I was cycling in Kent last week and popped into a shop and a woman looked at me in amazement, she said 'oh my god! do you cycle up **** road every week day' I said 'yes'
    she said 'Oh wow my children look out for you every day. Every morning they say, hurry up mum or we will miss her, we have to get to the road before her!.... whats your name?I want to tell the children!''
    heheh
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Has cycling changed your life for the better? - Definately, it's a great outlet for stress, and I've found some great friends through cycling
    Has it helped your health or helped you lose weight? I've lost well over a stone, and as an asthmatic ex 20+ a day smoker, I can honestly say that my quality of life has improved immeasurably
    Has it helped you find love or bonded your family? Yes and no, I'm far closer to my sons through mountainbiking than many fathers are, and it's a shared love we'll have till we die. and no - just ask my ex........................you're not on about that bloody bike again are you :twisted: :twisted:
    Have you had any adventure on your bike? - too many to mention, all great and some truly funny moments (well I think so anyway)
    Do you have a quirky story about you and your bike? - where shall I start
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    edited April 2009

Definitely - I have done this commuting thing for many years, it came from BMX'ing my way to school in the 80's and eventually led into TT racing and now Tri-athlon. I feel more positive, have virtually no days of ill health, I am outside everyday - whatever the weather and feel smug about my lack of carbon footprint!

I have maintained 13 stone throughout my adult life - drinking and over-indulgence included. So, it has prevented me gaining weight and I have found a happy balance of fitness and being able to eat and drink! Only issue is that you gain leg muscle and your bum gets big - can be a nightmare to get jeans that fit well!!

Errr....no! Training for Tri events is a strain on any relationship, but my wife is an elite rower, so her training co-incides with mine. Makes it easy as we are both in and out at the same times! Great to have mates waiting at the end of an event for you though! I do cycle to my parents place, about 70 miles, but I would'nt say that it keeps us bonded - I usually am a sweaty mess when I get there......

Plenty - did I tell you the one about sleeping in a barn full of chickens?! Or the guy with the axe in North Wales?!

Young dog, large stick, mountain bike = broken front forks, smashed front wheel and me upside down in a puddle.....Dog was fine though, just sat looking at me all puzzled.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Greg66 wrote:

I've let myself down, I've let you all down, I've let cycling down.
  • hisoka
    hisoka Posts: 541
    Greg66 wrote:

I've let myself down, I've let you all down, I've let cycling down.

Bad bad bad LiTs. Go do laps until you are properly sorry! :lol:
    "This area left purposefully blank"
    Sign hung on my head everyday till noon.

FCN: 11 (apparently)
  • Has cycling changed your life for the better?
    Yes don't drink quite as much as I used to. Spend more money on the bike and going away cycling

Has helped my health (see above). It helped me keep my weight in a healthy place

Neither to be honest. But you call the other sadist I ride with family a dysfunctional at that mind you

We all have adventures. The last one was the Lake District

Do you have a quirky story about you and your bike? No not really. But this one time at band camp.......
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Would we be photographed nude on the bike, if selected?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • antfly wrote:
    Would we be photographed nude on the bike, if selected?

isnt there fetish sites that would be able to help you with this sort of thing.

what ever peddles your bike
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Peddle,as in sells?I doubt anyone would want to buy it after my bare @rse has been on it.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866

Of course, I have an enjoyable commute to work and actually go in with a smile on my face unlike my driving colleagues. I also relish the challenge of getting up a hill on my bike!!

Not lost weight yet, but have started to lose inches and getting fitter all the time. It's proving to be great training towards the Great South Run this year.

Not yet, but there's time

Everytime out on a bike is an adventure, especially with some of the motorists we have around here
    Do you have a quirky story about you and your bike? :wink::lol:

Only my spectcular flip over a dog which ran out on me on a cycle path in which the bike went with me (due to the SPDs) before flinging itself to safety (and not a scratch on it!) and leaving me spread eagle on the cycle path waiting for an ambulance!!
    :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Nope. Difficult for something I've always done to change my life...

Nope.

Nope. Made me new friends though.

I have indeed.

Why yes, yes I do!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    whyamihere wrote:
    Nope. Difficult for something I've always done to change my life...

Nope.

Nope. Made me new friends though.

I have indeed.

Why yes, yes I do!

When were you in Sweden?

http://www.thelocal.se/10178/20080229/
    http://www.thelocal.se/5058/20060929/

:wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    nicklouse wrote:
    http://www.thelocal.se/10178/20080229/

The 36-year-old man has confessed to the crimes, explaining that he felt an overwhelming calm wash over him when he approached women’s bicycles and smelled the handlebars.
    :?
  • bratboy
    bratboy Posts: 82

Difficult for something I've always done to change my life... but there have been times in the last 35yrs when I haven't cycled much and found something missing. They were dark times ...

Hmmm, besides the bruises and road rash then it definitely helps to keep the weight off, and allows me to eat and drink what I like without worrying about it too much

Well when I was 10 my parents had this great idea that we would cycle to Ireland for our family holiday, not that they were like cyclist or anything (I don't think my Mum even had a bike when they decided to do it). I may not have thanked them at the time but, boy we are still laughing about now. Later in my late teens I would take my girl friend cycling all over the place, certainly didn't put her off as we got married. (Even after the time she ended up in a French hospital!). Now my daughter had this idea of riding the C2C this summer for our holiday, she's 11 and her brother will be 9 - we'll see how they cope.

Plenty. There was the time when cycling in Ireland, with my parents and brother, I nearly ended up iin a ravine. Then there was the time with my wife when we had to find a hotel in France that would take in a couple of cyclist who'd just got out of hospital that evening, and the time I was out training with a mate and I went passed a truck driver in the Cotswolds at 55mph, ooh and the time ...just so many.

Well there was one time when I was camping in the Lakes before a Tri. There was no where to lock up my new £2000 bike, as I'd been dropped off at the campsite the day before and I hadn't got the car, so I ended sleeping with it in the tent and lockiing it to my leg! :shock:
    SC61.10a: FCN 3, with clip-on guards for winter
    Uncle John: FCN ?? knobblies, or 'fat' slicks n guards

If you haven't tried these things, you should.
    These things are fun, and fun is good.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    :) This is a great thread, even just to read what bikes & cycling means to others:

Yep, of course. Since my return to cycling 2 years back, I find I see more opportunities and fewer barriers in almost every part of my life.

I've always taken care of myself, but cycling has helped me stay consistently fit rather than binge-training and the usual overtraining and illness that goes with it. I have also managed to get my cholesterol under control - important for me as cholesterol related heart issues run in my family.

Oh yes, and my wife reckons I am more buff.

See above. ;)

Seriously: Fortunately my wife shares my passion, and last year we set off on our first cycle tour to celebrate our 5th anniversary.

Last year I decided I needed to fulfill a dream of a week on a bike. So took off from our home (then Reading) and rode solo up via the Peak District, Dales and Lake District Parks to Edinburgh. It was an incredible feast - adventures included an exploded tyre, being invited in for tea by a friendly villager along the way, having to change my route due to floods, ...

Not really. I'm sure if we were chatting over a few beers I'd remember something interesting, but nothing springs to mind.