Please recommend a road hybrid/flat bar racer with mudguards

hiver
hiver Posts: 6
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
Hello all,

I am looking for something fast/light, that will take mudguards. I prefer flatbars, but can maybe be pursuaded into drop bars if you have a 'burning' recommendation

Use will be 5-8 mile commute, I think 25 mm tires or maybe even 28 mm will be relevant

Mudguards are a must (eyelets/holes for them that is)

Price range is 500-800 GBP

Thanks, M

Comments

• davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I like the Sirrus Elite. It is a flat bar road bike and has a few bits of carbon on there to smooth the ride. I sometimes toy with going for a road bike, but for commuting in London where sitting upright is the bulk of the journey then the Sirrus is a good combination.

It also takes SKS mudguards and no chopping or bending is required*, although they do kind of ruin the sleek look. Standard tyres are 28
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Do they still do the Cannondale Bad Boy with the 700 wheels?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • I quite like the look of the Trek Soho 2009 (£699 @ Evans) Belt-drive, 8-speed Nexus hub, mudguards already fitted and a frame that will withstand the usual knocks and scrapes. It seems pretty much hassle-free commuting to me.
    Start Weight: 128 kilos (20.2 st) (April 17th 2009)
    Current Weight:119 kilos (18.7 st) (June 18th 2009)
    Target Weight: 92 kilos (14.5 st) (sometime mid-2010, hopefully sooner)
  • I was looking at a Trek 7.3, seems quite nice for the money and doesn't shout "worth stealing" to thieves. I think it has the eyelets for mudguards etc.
  • Tobiwan
    Tobiwan Posts: 28
    davmaggs wrote:
    I like the Sirrus Elite. It is a flat bar road bike and has a few bits of carbon on there to smooth the ride. I sometimes toy with going for a road bike, but for commuting in London where sitting upright is the bulk of the journey then the Sirrus is a good combination.

+1, an excellent bike for the job, its a hybrid that's towards the road-bike side rather than the MTB side which makes it great for fast commuting on short-medium distances in cities. Don't use mudguards myself (though the pannier rack takes a lot of the muck) but it can fit them no problem.

Had mine for a year and no issues so far (not even one visit from the p*ncture fairy, despite a 1.5 inch screw getting stuck in the tyre). If that's not tempting fate I dunno what is!
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    One thing I forgot to add if you are shopping around is to make sure that you test ride before buying. I was originally going for a Trek due to styling and having seen one at my firm, but my posture/shoulder width meant it just didn't feel right even after a mere 5 minutes around the block near the shop.
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    +2 on the Sirrus. I fitted mine with 23c tyres and it was just as fast as any dropped bar road bike, I like to think I suprised more than few on my commute with my speed over the years.

Added the SKS mudguards and a rack when I bought it and still have it though don't ride it that often anymore, as I use my Audax bike for my 1 day a week ride into work (well, it is a 48 mile round trip)
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • hiver
    hiver Posts: 6
    Thanks all, for your recommendations.

I have tried a few but not sure I feel comfortable on most hybrids. In the end it seems I will try to build my own 'hybrid' from a CX frame - will keep you posted!

Cheers, Mads
  • boardman urban comp £500 got mine on ctw scheme though £360
    fast .light 23 pounds. eyelets for full sks mudgaurds.stealthy black 8)
  • AdiMac
    AdiMac Posts: 36
    Boardman Hybrid Pro... fast, get that 5 miles over with asap :-)

Got mine for £675 but the price has gone up a bit since then
    Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around you could miss it.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    If you want flat bars I'd look at the Ridgeback ones. They look pretty sweet.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • superdry
    superdry Posts: 36
    I quite fancy a revolution courier - not sure which one yet, but the race looks ok. Going to have a look at one in the next week or so. Quite like the idea of only having 8 gears.
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=10819&f_FullProductVersion=1&f_SupersetQRY=C416&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c012372c012370
    The nexus hub version has caught my eye, but I'm not sure about spending £400.
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f_ProductID=9452&f_FullProductVersion=1&f_SupersetQRY=C416&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c012372c012370