flat to drops

georgio15
georgio15 Posts: 77
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
how much will it cost (including brakes etc) to switch from flat handlebars to drops?

Comments

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    georgio15 wrote:
    how much will it cost (including brakes etc) to switch from flat handlebars to drops?

About 4cm, or a piece of string. Depends which is faster.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    about £250 depending on the level of brake/gear levers you want.x
  • georgio15
    georgio15 Posts: 77
    georgio15 wrote:

this is probably a really funny/witty comment but it is lost on me.

and thank you paddy
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Need to make sure you match your stem to the handlebar, re-cable your brakes and gears (assuming you buy the correct STI's for your groupset i.e. 2 x 9 or 3 x 10) - re-tape it all up.

SHould be able to get a cheap set of levers + a handlebar on ebay - just bear in mind how many gears you currently have. You may want to change stem too as you position will not be significantly lower.....comfort factor.
  • iainmoss
    iainmoss Posts: 88
    I converted my Specialized 'Sirrus Pro' from flats to drops.

I bought some nearly new Bontrager drop bars on e-bay for £15, some nearly new 105 shifters on e-bay for £80, Cinelli Bar tape for about £12 and some brake pull converters for £32- these enabled me to keep the original v-brakes.

Total cost: £139 plus some new cables.

Converting to drops was the best thing I've done to the bike. If you do a lot of fast road sections I can't recommend it highly enough.

For info on 'brake pull converters' look for 'Travel Agent' at www.bikeplus.co.uk

Iain.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    georgio15 wrote:
    georgio15 wrote:

this is probably a really funny/witty comment but it is lost on me.

and thank you paddy
    Oh well.

There are so many options - you can get 2nd hand ebay parts and maybe spend £50-£100, you can get brand new 11 speed super record or electronic DA parts and spend £1000, you might not be able to do it at all, and everything in between.

Start with what you have got - how many gears, what type of bike (from which one might deduce fork spacing) and then it might be possible to ascertain which parts you would need to switch or would be able to switch. From there, you can think about the purchasing options for each said part.

I generally find the forum quite helpful, but if the question is approximately as broad as "why is there air?" then a little tom foolery is permitted, surely?