New Cycle Helmet

rjbonnell
rjbonnell Posts: 170
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi

I have now sorted my new road bike (Trek 1.9 comopact 09 thanks to cycle scheme) which I will be picking up in just over a week, and I am now looking for a new cycle helmet.

I have looked at various makes (Bell, Giro etc), and have a few models in mind, but how to go about choosing a colour!! That sounds stupid, I know, but does anyone try to match it in with the colour of their bike, just go for a colour they like, or a colour that could go with anything??

Sounds daft I know, but I was just wondering.

Cheers

Richard (I dont think i'm a bike tart)

Comments

• guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    All my riding kit for both road and MTB is black, so I went for a black helmet too. The fact that my road bike is also partly black didn't come into it, but it does make me look a bit "all the gear, no idea"
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    rjbonnell wrote:
    Hi

I have now sorted my new road bike (Trek 1.9 comopact 09 thanks to cycle scheme) which I will be picking up in just over a week, and I am now looking for a new cycle helmet.

I have looked at various makes (Bell, Giro etc), and have a few models in mind, but how to go about choosing a colour!! That sounds stupid, I know, but does anyone try to match it in with the colour of their bike, just go for a colour they like, or a colour that could go with anything??

Sounds daft I know, but I was just wondering.

Cheers

Richard (I dont think i'm a bike tart)

Just as well, that honour's been taken :roll:

Rich-Ti :-

Self-confessed bike tart, loving my R3...
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    edited April 2009
    I went for a grey & black met lid, which suits just about every colour bike scheme. So now I don't worry about my lid and just worry about everything else instead. But the mere fact you even mention the 'tart' word suggests that subconsciously you may well already be one! Once you admit you are a BT, the choice will be easier to make, as somewhere along the line you will want a new bike to keep up with the Jones'? What colour will that one be, and are you prepared to change you tin hat & clothing everytime, and can you afford too? If your happy too, then just get what you want to match your bike? If not then get a neutrel-ish colour one like I did and worry about the colour of your shoes, gloves and clothes, (you BT).
    As a BT myself I always seek advice on clothing colours from the misses. 'Blue and green should never be seen' and all that! She ain't got many uses when it comes to BT stuff, but at least she will tell me if I look like a 'salmon' or 'sick' (i.e good) ???
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • rjbonnell
    rjbonnell Posts: 170
    Cheers Zedders!

I was thinking of a black/grey/carbon/titanium colour helmet. Like you said, this goes with most colours of bikes.

The Trek 1.9 I am getting is white and blue, this is why I asked. I was not sure if black/grey etc would go with it.

You know what its like, first proper road bike, its so easy to get carried away with it all.

I don't have endless amounts of cash to spend, and I don't want to be replacing my helmet if I upgrade my bike in a years time.

Repeat after me "I am not a bike tart, I am not a bike tart"!!!!
  • zedders
    rjbonnell wrote:
    I don't have endless amounts of cash to spend, and I don't want to be replacing my helmet if I upgrade my bike in a years time.

You'll be wanting lots of other stuff soon, and getting carried away with it all is what its all about. I know a lid is important, but I see it more as a safety thing foremost.

• COVEC
    COVEC Posts: 213
    The Trek 1.9 I am getting is white and blue, this is why I asked. I was not sure if black/grey etc would go with it.

Get a white one, will go with everything and will match your bike as well. An added bonus for a bike tart is that white just "SCREAMS" pro wannabe :lol::lol::lol::lol:

COVEC
  • guilliano
    White also screams "TARGET"
  • zedders
    Only the STIG can get away with a white helmet?

• guilliano
    If you really want something to match then Giro do an Astana team colour helmet...... although I think it's over £100 now
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    tbh, you really need a helmet to match every bike, i know i'm planning on buying a white one to go with my white bike and a baby blue one to go with my roadie....
  • weepiglet
    weepiglet Posts: 75
    Looks like I'm in teh same boat mate. Got a Trek 1.9 (collect tomorrow :)), bought some black and white Shimano R086 shoes and a white Giro Monza lid today. Went to the showroom at Chain Reaction and got great deal so all chuffed. Just need shorts and tops now!
  • guilliano
    You need Trek/Astana team replica kit! You'll just look foolish otherwise
  • zedders
    white looks great..... until you get rain/road spray, road grime, dust, sweat, and everyting else all over it!