Is THIS what you London cyclists have to fight against?

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
(apologies as I am sure this is a repeat posting judging by the age of the vid)

www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DHLzGj10fg2g

If so - you have my complete sympathy. It's no wonder I have so few stories of aggressive drivers and you have so many. With idiots like these on the streets you really are fighting an uphill battle.

I lost count of the number of illegal and downright lethal maneouvers.

I think I'll stick to my bridlepath and saying Good Morning to all the walkers and dog owners thanks.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    You get used to anything, but it can be miserable riding in London (like today). On Uxbridge Rd this morning one rider was being stretchered off into an ambulance after a collision with a car. Sometimes cycling is hard work..
  • jemjah
    jemjah Posts: 29
    these guys are crazy. amazing skills, but no wonder cyclists get such a bad name!
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    Isn't this video by Lucas Brunelle from across the pond?

I admire their skills but they shouldn't be putting pedestrians in danger like this (see that bloke on the right at 3 min 26 sec of the video)
  • Capo
    Capo Posts: 439
    Seen it before but always good to watch it again.

Love the bit at around 1:28 when the police car comes out to turn right onto New Oxford Street and the guy just swerves round it.
    Can\'t drive, won\'t drive
  • Seen it before, and the one in NY (which I don't remember having quite so many near misses with peds).

I'm obviously getting old. I really wanted to see one of them fly through a red light and get flattened under a truck.

Oh well, never mind.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • bluesacs
    bluesacs Posts: 95
    Top stuff, we can only aspire to this.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I have to admit to feeling the same as Greg... what they're doing is putting way too many other people at risk - I never have a problem with people wanting to enjoy themselves, but not when others are put at risk.

What they did was at a mnimum foolhardy, and realistically utterly stupid and reprehensible
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    An utter bunch of shites.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    bluesacs wrote:
    Top stuff, we can only aspire to this.
    Aspire to it?! Totally irresponsible it just gives cyclists a really bad name
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Totally selfish and psychotic, but at least that means they're at home on London streets.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    I think You Tube ought to take this down. But then if the TV companies continue to make programs about people behaving like tw4t$ driving cars, why ban footage of people behaving like to$$ers on bikes?

My 10 year old watches this stuff with his mates and they all think its cool. And that's the problem imo. :(
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    My 10 year old watches this stuff with his mates and they all think its cool. And that's the problem imo. :(

+1. Riding FG is in no way cool. :P

Sorry, couldn't resist. These guys are berks.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:

+1. Riding FG is in no way cool. :P

+1! :D:D

Genius comment: Chapeau!

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    FG is no doubt a scary concept when you get to a certain age, brittle bones and all that :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Looking at this, I'm a bit surprised that pedestrians and drivers in London don't dislike cyclists just a tad!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    rhext wrote:
    Looking at this, I'm a bit surprised that pedestrians and drivers in London don't dislike cyclists just a tad!

even for central london they are being turds.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    There's NYC version of this somewhere on bikeradar.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I have to admit I found that awesome viewing...obviously dangerous and selfish, giving cyclists a bad name etc blah blah but pretty amazing skills. Mad props!
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    They weren't on Fixed Gear bikes either, they were freewheeling at the start of the video
  • What complete and utter bell ends! No wonder you London commuters face so much hostility with nobs like this riding round :evil:
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    linoue wrote:
    They weren't on Fixed Gear bikes either, they were freewheeling at the start of the video

yeah i noticed this - Fakengers!

PBo
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    Impressive riding skills but downright dangerous in my opinion. If I rode to work like that, I'd end up in hospital or worse...
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Couldn't resist commenting on this.

I do hope someone high-up picks up on this and introduces number plates for bikes.

I wouldn't have an issue with that. Would you?
  • biondino
    *gets popcorn, sits back, waits
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    fnegroni wrote:

I do hope someone high-up picks up on this and introduces number plates for bikes.

In short, "yes".

The long, considered answer is "yes".
  • I think bike plates are unnecessary.

What we need are CCTVs every 100 yards, and a law that every driver, cyclist and ped must look at the CCTV as they pass it.

That way no one can deny their whereabouts.

Anyone not looking is hunted down and jailed.

And if you've got nothing to hide, you've got nothing to fear, right?

Right.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    CCTV? Pah, I can just say that my twin brother stole my bike. Now imbedded tracking chips in the scrotum, that's a solution with balls.
  • Not much chance of catching any of these up as you wait for the lights to go green :D
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    fnegroni wrote:

In short, "yes".

The long, considered answer is "yes".

Then we have a problem.

Until about 20 years ago scooters in Italy did not have number plates.
    And they were ridden just like those bikes in the video.

They are still ridden badly nowadays, but they can be tracked by CCTV number plate recognition quite well.

London is already equipped with dozens of CCTVs able to recognise number plates for illegal parking and congestion charge enforcement.

I think if you have a problem with number plates, your problem is far bigger.
  • biondino
    I suspect you're the one with the problem, fella, since the logistics of what you recommend make it pretty much certain not to happen (and that's before you get into the privacy angle, that fact that governments want to encourage cycling, etc. etc.).