Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

Kerrang channel and strong coffee...

gtvlussogtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
Morning all,

So, here I am curled up on the sofa full of cold - sore throat feeling like rubbish! I swear it must be swine fever or whetever the latest pandemic is called (although my wife has said it's man flu). So, no commute for me today or for a couple of days (coughing up blood probably ain't great!).....Raining outside....

Anyway, while I am sat here a couple of things have come to my attention:

1, My rear hub on the racing bike is on it's way out - loose and bearings/pawls and dogs seem to be shot - do I replace the hub, rebuild and repair the hub or buy a new wheelset (they are Ritchey pro wheels and hubs, have done about 12,000 miles).

2, Any recommendations on wheelsets for racing and commuting (i.e. cheapish)?

3, The girl who sings for Paramore is a fox. Although AC/DC are on as I write this.

4, If I have to watch another Star Trek re-run, I may kill someone.

God, I am bored - can't even take the dog out.....she ate her bed this morning - now has fluffy poo.....

Does anyone else have an insane dog that simply destroys everything she sees?

So very bored.....boo :-(

Posts

  • Rich158Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Morning all,

    So, here I am curled up on the sofa full of cold - sore throat feeling like rubbish! I swear it must be swine fever or whetever the latest pandemic is called (although my wife has said it's man flu). So, no commute for me today or for a couple of days (coughing up blood probably ain't great!).....Raining outside....

    Anyway, while I am sat here a couple of things have come to my attention:

    1, My rear hub on the racing bike is on it's way out - loose and bearings/pawls and dogs seem to be shot - do I replace the hub, rebuild and repair the hub or buy a new wheelset (they are Ritchey pro wheels and hubs, have done about 12,000 miles).

    2, Any recommendations on wheelsets for racing and commuting (i.e. cheapish)?

    3, The girl who sings for Paramore is a fox. Although AC/DC are on as I write this.

    4, If I have to watch another Star Trek re-run, I may kill someone.

    God, I am bored - can't even take the dog out.....she ate her bed this morning - now has fluffy poo.....

    Does anyone else have an insane dog that simply destroys everything she sees?

    So very bored.....boo :-(

    The whole office are now looking at me wondering what caused a spontaneous burst of laughter from my desk

    My Jack Russel did the same thing a while ago, it was v funny. It always a constant source of amazement as to what passes through him, bit's of plastic are a current favourite, although his crowning glory was the cloth I clean my glasses with, which went through twice :shock: :shock:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

    Revised FCN - 2
  • Greg TGreg T Posts: 3,266
    Rich158 wrote:
    My Jack Russel did the same thing a while ago, it was v funny. It always a constant source of amazement as to what passes through him, bit's of plastic are a current favourite, although his crowning glory was the cloth I clean my glasses with, which went through twice :shock: :shock:

    Are they bi-fecal?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

    What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Rich158Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Greg T wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    My Jack Russel did the same thing a while ago, it was v funny. It always a constant source of amazement as to what passes through him, bit's of plastic are a current favourite, although his crowning glory was the cloth I clean my glasses with, which went through twice :shock: :shock:

    Are they bi-fecal?

    In his case yes, he has the disgusting habit of trying to ensure everything passes through him twice :shock: :shock: :shock:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

    Revised FCN - 2
  • gtvlussogtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    The funniest is when she eats something with foil on it - shiny poo is kinda bizarre. A shoe lace came out the other day, intact - we recycle old trainers by giving them to the dog to chew over.....
  • cjcpcjcp Posts: 13,345
    gtvlusso wrote:
    So, here I am curled up on the sofa full of cold - sore throat feeling like rubbish! I swear it must be swine fever or whetever the latest pandemic is called (although my wife has said it's man flu). So, no commute for me today or for a couple of days (coughing up blood probably ain't great!).....Raining outside....

    Rain isn't ideal; coughing up blood even less so. :shock: Doctor. Now.
    Anyway, while I am sat here a couple of things have come to my attention:

    1, My rear hub on the racing bike is on it's way out - loose and bearings/pawls and dogs seem to be shot - do I replace the hub, rebuild and repair the hub or buy a new wheelset (they are Ritchey pro wheels and hubs, have done about 12,000 miles).

    2, Any recommendations on wheelsets for racing and commuting (i.e. cheapish)?

    If the rims are shot too (very possibly after 12,000 miles!), it's time for new wheels. They've had a good run. You could always keep them for the turbo, or an emergency set.

    Strong handbuilts will do the job for racing and commuting. What sort of racing? Tris, road racing or SCR :wink: ? I love my Ambrosio Excellights.
    FCN 2-4.

    "What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • redveeredvee Posts: 11,922
    MTFU and get dogly out on the common, sunny lower down the col de A38 :lol: If you go now you'll only miss loose women, when you get back you can google Hayley Williams and see what interesting images Google Images gives you as a reward for taking dogly out.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • spen666spen666 Posts: 17,709
    gtvlusso wrote:
    ....

    Does anyone else have an insane dog that simply destroys everything she sees?

    ....

    Yes, but I divorced her
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • cjcpcjcp Posts: 13,345
    :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

    "What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    3, The girl who sings for Paramore is a fox. Although AC/DC are on as I write this.

    +1 Hayley is gorgeous
    FCN 4

    thereback.jpg
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    Morning all,

    Does anyone else have an insane dog that simply destroys everything she sees?

    Yep, my dog ate the sofa. In stages, obviously, because even though it was just a 2-seater, it would've been a little ambitious of the hound to eat the whole thing in one sitting.

    But I am cunning. I now have metal patio furniture in the living room. Guaranteed impervious to spaniel/collie cross teeth. I are so smrt.

    More seriously, sucks to be struck down - I hope that you were joking about coughing up blood - if not, then get thee to a doctors' quick - get well soon!
    2008 carrera vanquish - FCN: 8
    2009 giant bowery 72 - FCN: 5
  • gtvlussogtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    cjcp wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    So, here I am curled up on the sofa full of cold - sore throat feeling like rubbish! I swear it must be swine fever or whetever the latest pandemic is called (although my wife has said it's man flu). So, no commute for me today or for a couple of days (coughing up blood probably ain't great!).....Raining outside....

    Rain isn't ideal; coughing up blood even less so. :shock: Doctor. Now.
    Anyway, while I am sat here a couple of things have come to my attention:

    1, My rear hub on the racing bike is on it's way out - loose and bearings/pawls and dogs seem to be shot - do I replace the hub, rebuild and repair the hub or buy a new wheelset (they are Ritchey pro wheels and hubs, have done about 12,000 miles).

    2, Any recommendations on wheelsets for racing and commuting (i.e. cheapish)?

    If the rims are shot too (very possibly after 12,000 miles!), it's time for new wheels. They've had a good run. You could always keep them for the turbo, or an emergency set.

    Strong handbuilts will do the job for racing and commuting. What sort of racing? Tris, road racing or SCR :wink: ? I love my Ambrosio Excellights.

    Tri racing and SCR - my rims are rusty (oo-er!) too - yeah, new set I think. I have rebuilt the hubs a few times, kinda sick of it now.....! Thinking Ritchey WCS or Reynolds Solitude.....possibly Fulcrum 3's....or Xero XSR-1....choices choices!

    Have decided that "Here to stay" by Korn is my favourite SCR'ing song.....! Alphabetising my record and CD collection - although it may take some time (just the vinyl records were couted at 2500 about 8 years ago.....). Have probably near 1000 CD's to sort through too - I may be some time.....soooooo bored!!!!!
  • DomProDomPro Posts: 321
    Have you rebuilt or repaired the hubs before now?
    Shazam !!
  • itboffinitboffin Posts: 20,049
    Talking about coughing up blood what happened to Clever Pun?? wasn't that his MO recently?

    CP where are you!!
    Rule #5 // Harden The censored Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcpcjcp Posts: 13,345
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Tri racing and SCR - my rims are rusty (oo-er!) too - yeah, new set I think. I have rebuilt the hubs a few times, kinda sick of it now.....! Thinking Ritchey WCS or Reynolds Solitude.....possibly Fulcrum 3's....or Xero XSR-1....choices choices!

    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... tude-31467
    FCN 2-4.

    "What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gtvlussogtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    DomPro wrote:
    Have you rebuilt or repaired the hubs before now?

    Yeah - I have rebuilt 3 times in all. I am a bit miffed as I have only had the bike a year, admittedly done a shedload of mileage, the inner hub is pretty rusty now - noisy and loose, suggests it is gonna go soon'ish. I could run with it, but the wheel is not as free as it should be and I would rather not get stuck while 40 miles from home.

    I am still at home today - throat is bad. Just put dishwasher on and now settling into the sofa with lemsip and Glen Campbell.....not literally, but he is on the hi fi.

    "I am a lineman for the county and I travel the main road........"
Sign In or Register to comment.