Any views on the 'new' Viner Passo?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If that came in different colours, I'd have one.

If you like the colour it looks like a bargain!
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Well, it looks awesome. That's one thing. Otherwise, looking through the specs...
    Miche Performance brakes are 57mm drop, so that means that it does not have super tight clearances. So you'll be able to run mudguards and/or wider tyres.
    Deda 12,5 is not the lightest tubing, but Ciocc used it in one of their frames that I've only ever heard great things about.
    Miche Race wheels I know little about, but the hubs those wheels use are pretty good.

Anyway, looking through all that stuff, I think it would make an excellent clubmans bike. Guards in winter for training, racing all summer, tour in the autumn. And it's pretty.
  • Quick update on this frame.
    It is now available in a 3 stock colours, light blue, bronze, or plum purple. Or if you do not mind waiting for the next production run and a custom order, any base colour from our range.
    Again for custom orders you can spec the bike to your requirements.
    Lastly do not forget it is also 100% hand made in Italy!

PS: www.vinerbikes.com web site is being updated, 2010 version coming soon.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I very nearly bought one for this winter.
    That seems like a very poor image compared to the one on Epic Cycles, the bronze does look fantastic in the light.
    It does have clearance for mudguards.
    Epic offered me a very good deal and were going to build it in SRAM Force, too.
    viner-passo-det1000.jpg
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Sure is a classy looking bike!

Also, not many alu or carbon bikes are painted orange, so you'll spot it from a mile off when you build up to doing sportives and park your bike in with 1,000 others at the signing on desk :wink:
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Looks fantastic for the money. Bronze colour really lovely as well, I can't think of many other good bikes for winter. Very nice.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I love it, my next bike is a toss up between a surly pacer or this. I think the viner might be a bit too nice for a commuter though, unless I swap all the nice bits onto a different frame, but then I couldn't run tiagra on a viner, I'd be killed by the fashion police.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    prawny wrote:
    I love it, my next bike is a toss up between a surly pacer or this. I think the viner might be a bit too nice for a commuter though, unless I swap all the nice bits onto a different frame, but then I couldn't run tiagra on a viner, I'd be killed by the fashion police.
    That Viner beats Surly in my personal top trumps, maybe because I'm a bit tired of Surly's schtick. Those cfrp forks are a shame, though; steel ones would have been so much more appropriate. Mind you that's what I think every time I look at my bike. Oh regrets... anyway, the Campag gear will survive winter happily.
  • that's very nice.
    Mens agitat molem
  • Quick reply to some of the comments today.
    The bike can be supplied with a lower spec'/price group set if required. i.e. Xenon-Miche 10spd or 9spd. Offering a min' saving of £110 off the retail price. A good solid - reliable group set to soak up the commuting miles with.

The frame can also be built with classic round steel tubes, with lugs [apart from BB shell, still TIG welded] with the added addition of steel forks.

As we still manufacture and assemble by hand in Italy we are able to cater for most customers personal "custom" requirements, without breaking the bank. {If you would like a Maxima RS, we cannot guarantee keeping the bank account in tact :) but that is another story! }
  • prawny
    balthazar wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    That Viner beats Surly in my personal top trumps, maybe because I'm a bit tired of Surly's schtick. Those cfrp forks are a shame, though; steel ones would have been so much more appropriate. Mind you that's what I think every time I look at my bike. Oh regrets... anyway, the Campag gear will survive winter happily.

I like campag jut not the 'escape' hood shape, I could only go for ultrashift levers and that bumps the price up well above the cyclescheme limit. When the time comes though I might have to have a chat with Epic.

Can you buy as a frame only/frame and steel fork set?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Yes it is available as Frame, fork and headset for £629
  • giant_man
    So I take it that the Passo isn't one of the' two entry level models' as quoted on the viner bikes web site then?

'All Viners (apart from two entry-level models manufactured overseas in order to keep prices competitive), are hand made by craftsmen at our Italian premises. Even the entry-level models are hand finished and painted here in Italy, under our watchful eye.'
  • prawny
    Yes it is available as Frame, fork and headset for £629

Hmm, tis worth considering. But might be a bit much for a commuter though. Probably more of a best bike for me.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    So I take it that the Passo isn't one of the' two entry level models' as quoted on the viner bikes web site then?

'All Viners (apart from two entry-level models manufactured overseas in order to keep prices competitive), are hand made by craftsmen at our Italian premises. Even the entry-level models are hand finished and painted here in Italy, under our watchful eye.'

I think that's the Gladius and Magnifica they're talking about there.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • The Gladius [2010 versions also called X-Plus / Simplex] and the Dedalus range are made in our far eastern factory, all the rest of the road range is made in Italy.
  • giant_man
    Ahh thank you for the clarification.
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    prawny wrote:

A friend of mine had a Surly Pacer. It's a decent frame, but in the UK it is way too expensive. Wiggle has them for 350 pounds, which is more than an audax frame from Bob Jackson or Woodrup, made in the UK from Reynolds steel and LUGS! The Surly makes sense in the US where most shops don't stock frames of any kind (Surly is distributed by the biggest bike parts distributer) and where custom frames run to 1000s of dollars. But in the UK, they seem completely pointless.

Remember that plenty of pro-teams run Colnagos with Shimano. You can run whatever you please on your Italian frame. That said, Mirage is pretty good....
  • prawny
    acorn_user wrote:
    prawny wrote:

A friend of mine had a Surly Pacer. It's a decent frame, but in the UK it is way too expensive. Wiggle has them for 350 pounds, which is more than an audax frame from Bob Jackson or Woodrup, made in the UK from Reynolds steel and LUGS! The Surly makes sense in the US where most shops don't stock frames of any kind (Surly is distributed by the biggest bike parts distributer) and where custom frames run to 1000s of dollars. But in the UK, they seem completely pointless.

Remember that plenty of pro-teams run Colnagos with Shimano. You can run whatever you please on your Italian frame. That said, Mirage is pretty good....

Cheers for the info, I wasn't sure where to start looking for a non us steel frame I'll check those out.

And I know I can run whatever I want, but this is the internet and people would complain. 8)
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • No problem, we need to improve our overall "communication" to the outside world! new web site coming soon!
  • If anyone wants to see one in the flesh and live near Leeds there's one in my LBS

Very nice - the colour is superb in the light
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    A friend of mine has just picked one up, it looks really very nice, the colour is fantastic, the tubing isn't round either but ovalish. One very cool winter steed 8)
  • We can also offer the 2010 Campag Veloce Ultra Shift Lever based Miche Race Groupset at the same price as the Classic Mk1 Veloce [in silver, the 2010 version has black rear mech and levers] as seen on the image of the bike at Epic. Please note the chainset also has Ergal 7075 heat treated chainrings [same quality as used on Record and the like!]
  • If anyone wants to see one in the flesh and live near Leeds there's one in my LBS

Which shop in Leeds?
  • prawny
    We can also offer the 2010 Campag Veloce Ultra Shift Lever based Miche Race Groupset at the same price as the Classic Mk1 Veloce [in silver, the 2010 version has black rear mech and levers] as seen on the image of the bike at Epic. Please note the chainset also has Ergal 7075 heat treated chainrings [same quality as used on Record and the like!]

Damn you!! :x

Where's the wife put that credit card!
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017

Which shop in Leeds?

Triangle in Horsforth
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!