Any trails in the Halifax area?

LAW4778
LAW4778 Posts: 232
edited April 2009 in Routes
Would be much appreciated if any you know of any that are easy to find and i won't get lost on, Cheers
Trek Fuel EX 7 29er 2014
Specialized FSR XC Pro 2010 (Gone)
Specialized Rockhopper Expert 2009 (Gone)

Comments

• Hi there.

I live in Halifax and you have quite a lot to go at. Ogden and Hebden Bridge off lots of different trails, with climbing and downhill sections. Southowram also offers you some good stuff too. Some off road coming out at Hipperholme or down to Bridhouse through the woods.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    LAW4778 wrote:
    Would be much appreciated if any you know of any that are easy to find and i won't get lost on, Cheers

Ogden's probably your best bet, or head further West to Hebden Bridge and Todmorden, there's shedloads round there. Get a map and go exploring!!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • LAW4778
    cheers guys i live quite near to ogden are there proper trails signposted can you give me a clue as to where they are eg near the golf club or resovoiur.
    Trek Fuel EX 7 29er 2014
  • Not signposted as such.

If you go to Ogden, climb the hill to the right of the reservoir from the car park. You can't miss where to go, then you reach the top and start a good descent until you get to a gate. Turn left there. It's quite gnarly in bits. then just keep following the track until you get to the road, and turn left. Up the steep climb and follow the road until you get to the old Withens pub/hotel. Turn left there and go down the old Roman road as fast as you can/dare (Golf course on right hand side). When you get to the bottom, check all your fillings are still intact!!

Once you've done that, you know the basic route, you can then just keep exploring.
  • LAW4778
    Not signposted as such.

If you go to Ogden, climb the hill to the right of the reservoir from the car park. You can't miss where to go, then you reach the top and start a good descent until you get to a gate. Turn left there. It's quite gnarly in bits. then just keep following the track until you get to the road, and turn left. Up the steep climb and follow the road until you get to the old Withens pub/hotel. Turn left there and go down the old Roman road as fast as you can/dare (Golf course on right hand side). When you get to the bottom, check all your fillings are still intact!!

Once you've done that, you know the basic route, you can then just keep exploring.

Cheers Michael, just one other thing when you say the withens do you mean up near the windmills past wainstalls if so i would never had any idea that you could get to there from ogden if so it souns like a good ride, on a good day how long does it take you?
    Trek Fuel EX 7 29er 2014
  • LAW4778 wrote:
    Not signposted as such.

Cheers Michael, just one other thing when you say the withens do you mean up near the windmills past wainstalls if so i would never had any idea that you could get to there from ogden if so it souns like a good ride, on a good day how long does it take you?

Hi

Yes you're right, you basically take a huge loop around the windmills. And come back down so they are on your left.

Depends really, there are different little ways you can go, but that's the most obvious. Depends on the conditions too. Also depends how fit you are!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    LAW4778 wrote:
    cheers guys i live quite near to ogden are there proper trails signposted can you give me a clue as to where they are eg near the golf club or resovoiur.

If you'll PM me your e-mail address I'll send you a route map.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic