How many pads should my hydraulic pads have?

npowell28
npowell28 Posts: 204
edited April 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just collected my new Cube Ltd Pro with Hayes Stroker Trail Hydraulic pads. I noticed that the front brake was making a lot of noise even when free wheeling. Whilst removing the wheel to fix a puncture i noticed that there was only one brake pad in the brake. I'm presuming that there should be 2 pads on each brake?
Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone

Comments

• Zeroman_IR
    Zeroman_IR Posts: 290
    That'd be right.
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    :shock:

You should have two pads in each caliper, one on each side of the disc.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • npowell28
    Yeah i thought as much. Ok i'll take it back to the shop. Grrrrrrr! Really annoyed, especially considering the steep hills i have been down on it!
    Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone
  • Tim.s
    That would of been making a right racket, is it possible the pad could of fallen out when you removed the wheel?
    "Didn't hurt"
  • npowell28
    Possibly i suppose, Is it easy to fit new ones. Do i need to bleed the brakes again. I know how to do it on a car but have no idea when it comes to a push bike!
    Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Dont need to bleed, unless piston has popped out (sounds like it hasn't)
    Remove wheel, remove pad(s) push pistons back with a tyre lever or similar (flat blade screwdriver) fit new pads.
    Be careful fitting the new ones, the little spring clip must locate on the pin located on the piston. When pushing the piston back be aware of this pin as it is easily bent/ snapped. I got rid of my Stroker Trails because mid ride pad change was too fiddly- good brake otherwise tho.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    push pistons back with a tyre lever or similar (flat blade screwdriver)

Be careful when doing this as it may damaged the piston in the centre. If you want to be extra safe use the box end of a 11mm wrench.
  • M6TTF
    M6TTF Posts: 602
    Why would you change pads mid ride? If mine need doing I'd do them before I set out, you're not gonna gain much by holding out for an extra 10 or so miles!
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Because where we ride in winter you can wear out a set in one ride.... Have done so, and sometimes you may forget to check them and find there aint as much as you thought on 'em.... On one ride I went through an old set that were on the bike, a brand new set fitted part way round and had to fit another new set before the next ride...
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i know of brakes where the friction material has fallen off due to people heating their pads on the stove/in the oven.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • peachos
    peachos Posts: 47
    M6TTF wrote:
    Why would you change pads mid ride? If mine need doing I'd do them before I set out, you're not gonna gain much by holding out for an extra 10 or so miles!

pads sometimes need changing mid ride due to excess wear (esp on wet, gritty rides) or delam of the pad from the metal plate (can happen on both high & low cost pads). always carry a couple of spare sets with you, especially on long rides!
    Norco Six-One

Manchester Mountain Bikers (search on www.meetup.com)
  • Tim.s
    peachos wrote:
    M6TTF wrote:

pads sometimes need changing mid ride due to excess wear (esp on wet, gritty rides) or delam of the pad from the metal plate (can happen on both high & low cost pads). always carry a couple of spare sets with you, especially on long rides!

Or if all your mates wont stop moaning about your squeeky brakes and start getting annoyed or put thier Ipods on or try to leave you behind.........
    "Didn't hurt"
  • npowell28
    Spoke to the shop. They said "how unusual". Beginning to think that it may have fell out when i was fixing the puncture, but i'm sticking to the "it only had one" line.

Will be fixed tomorrow. Cool!
    Cube Ltd Pro!

Bianchi C2C via Nirone
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    npowell28 wrote:
    Beginning to think that it may have fell out when i was fixing the puncture, but i'm sticking to the "it only had one" line.

Will be fixed tomorrow. Cool!

Pads shouldn't fall out at all (regardless of trying to change a puncture). The usual post on here to do with brake pads is "I've been pulling at these things for the last 2 hours and they still won't come out..... help!!! " :lol:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team