Choosing a cycle computer - buying suggestions please.

benno68
benno68 Posts: 1,689
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
I've had a look on the web for a cycle computer but there are so many to choose from I just can't get my head around it.

I'm looking to spend around £80 but will go higher (within reason) if there's a real benefit. Preferably wireless, but this is not essential. I could do with a cadence and heart rate monitor too.

I've noticed on the ride reports thread, info including total climbed etc. Which computer has that function?

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
Giant Defy 105 2009

Comments

• ShaggyRS6
    ShaggyRS6 Posts: 247
    +1 garmin 705
    11 Scott CR1 Comp
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    That`s a lot more than £80 but the 205 and 305 are pretty cheap now and well worth having.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I have on this and it does the job for me*:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Catey ... 360017918/

I don't really *need* a cadence monitor, because I should be able to "feel" what the right cadence is.

I have a separate watch HRM (Timxe Ironman Triathlong) from www.heartratemonitor.co.uk.

*I don't often get out for weekend rides beyond the local Park, so something like a Garmin isn't of much value to me at the moment. If I did, then I can see the benefit. But I'd still think long and hard about parting with that kind of money instead of putting it to an upgrade on wheels, for example.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    +1 For the Micro Wireless, as CJ says it doesn't have the HRM or Cadence feature but I think some of the higher spec'd Cateye models do IIRC the Strada can be had with a cadence monitor, is wireless and looks rather sexy!

The Garmin's are rather more expensive then your £80 budget, but the entry level ones aren't too far over. I'd also love to get a 705 but at present I don't go on enough weekend rides to justify it (to my fair lady of course.......) but having seen the Connect website stats on come people's sigs it only made me want one more and I'm a bit of a gadget/stat geek :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    I got one of these for my road bike:

29974.jpg

Wireless speed/cadence and HRM for £100 (though you may be able to find it cheaper). Only done 100 miles with it so far but hasn't missed beat so far.

_

Edit: They also do a Neuro 6.0 which has an altimeter - so will give you the total climb - but I don't know how much more it is.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Thanks for the advice gents. Yes, the Garmin range looks really good - maybe someday but CJ, you're right - I've been thinking about some new wheels, and a carbon bike - think I've been caught by "the bug". A new bike is a long - long way off.

I could do with a cadence model as with my little experience I haven't got a clue and I'd like to try to get into keeping up a decent cadence - particularly up hills.

Heartrate monitor - as I'm primarily cycling to lose weight and for general fitness I thought it would be a worthwhile feature. Is it worth having or I am I getting caught up in the gadget stakes?

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Benno68 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice gents. Yes, the Garmin range looks really good - maybe someday but CJ, you're right - I've been thinking about some new wheels, and a carbon bike - think I've been caught by "the bug". A new bike is a long - long way off.

I could do with a cadence model as with my little experience I haven't got a clue and I'd like to try to get into keeping up a decent cadence - particularly up hills.

Heartrate monitor - as I'm primarily cycling to lose weight and for general fitness I thought it would be a worthwhile feature. Is it worth having or I am I getting caught up in the gadget stakes?

Are you only going to be cycling? If not, get some decent functionality in a bike computer and get a separate HRM - they start at about £30 and you would be able to use it when you do other things.
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    I spared every expense to get this one from Tesco for £14 (although now it is reduced to £10!) It even does cadence.