For Geeks.

2»

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    You'll be needing some new calipers then. I would actually be screwed if I had to work in imperial units. Not a clue.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Must say, that Fred was pretty good. I met him when I was a young (must have been really young) lad.

I love the old industry, and inparticular old engines. Be they steam or internal combustion.

I know it's a bit sad, but I love the way it's all engineered.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Would have loved to have met Fred. I have watched all his TV shows, fantastic, and some great clips on the tube.
  • Chaz.Harding
    whyamihere, I find working in the metric units a LOT easier. I was bought up in mm, cm, metres, etc. But alot of who I work with, wasn't.

That includes alot of kit, some from as early as the '60's, that when we need bits and bats measuring, for tolerances and guides, the reference measurements are all bloody imperial.

Sooo, just gotta get my imperial hat back on, and percivere. Must admit, first time, I got some proper crazy readings... :oops:

:lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    We had an Steam engine in the Mill that for me was heaven just to sit an watch.

She got sold and is in some museum for steam engines ( as in engines that powered Mills rather than traction engines)

Her name was Agnes.

A Lad in the village had a new traction engine build the other year, Yes NEW.

see if i can find pics.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chaz.Harding
    Sweet. Must run real good. It's amazing to see them actually work. To move, under their own steam, as it were.

Even though they are horrifically in-efficient, slow, and underpowered, it's some engineering that goes into them. Trains that pull massive loads, just using steam...

And I know it's on a whole different level, but the tech that goes into steam turbines too.. Amazing.

Be good if you can get pictures of a NEW steam engine though. Unusual, and rare to say the least...
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • nicklouse
    here is the new on in the "Village"

img2254r.jpg
    img2258.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Chaz.Harding
    Hahaha, thats awesome. Just gotta convince my gf, that it's a wise investment to get one made now...

Don't think she'll be so keen :lol:

Well, I wouldn't have thought you could buy traction engines anymore... Everyday is a school day and all that jazz...

Nice work.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • nicklouse
    He got is as part of a deal for buying the company or something.

he also has lost of small scale ones.