Overweight female no weight lost yet!

2»

Comments

• 996JAT
    996JAT Posts: 94
    I've been doing the same thing for the past 3 weeks.

Cycling from High wycombe to slough and back every weekday for the last 3 weeks. Its about 28 miles a day and i've lost a heap of wieght on a Trek 1.7, so it aint the lightest thing.

A few things.

1. Try to speed up esp near the end of each journey. Keep the cadence up.(might need a racer to really pump some speed)

2. Try not to eat too much in the evening. To compensate. So just calculate the calories burned and what you put in. My stomach always around 10pm wll want more food but just sleep on it or drin kmore water

I know after the first 2 weeks my legs just got bigger, i only use the big crank, bar 1 hill.

But now yep for sure i've def lost nearly half a stone after 3 weeks.
  • Mrs Toast
    Mrs Toast Posts: 636
    Mrs Toast wrote:
    Carbs are not the enemy. Fat and sugar laden processed foods are. Artificial sweeteners are.

Noooooooooooooo, don't take away my Splendaaaaaaaaaa! :cry:

Splenda is one of the worst offenders, I'm afraid. Artificial sweeteners are looking more and more like they cause weight gain. Something to do with the brain registering "sweet", but finding a calorie deficit when balancing the books, so craving more "sweet".

I don't think it's actually possible to me to crave more sweet stuff, I was born (or at least raised!) with a chronic sweet tooth - the reason why I switched to Splenda was because I have sugar in everything. Used to have 3 tsps in my tea, managed to cut down to one. I used to put sugar on Frosties and Crunchie Nut Cornflakes until I was in my 20s, managed to cut that out. If I have weetabix they still resemble the Alps though...

I'm more concerned that there's going to be some horrible long-term side effects of consuming so much sweetner. Not concerned enough to actually ditch it and eat more healthily though! :lol:
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    Try honey on the weetabix it's yum :)
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Eranu's right, there are much better ways of cutting down on sugar.

Use maple syrup, honey or agave syrup (find it in the weirdy beardy section of your supermarket) instead.

Too much aspartame is really, really bad. "They" are even linking it with MS these days.
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Quality stuff aspartame, thank Donald Rumsfeld for foisting it on the world, that's enough information to make you avoid the stuff like the plague I would have thought. I use natural sweeteners where possible too, honey in green tea, etc. I'm a sucker for brown sugar on porridge topped off with a drizzle of syrup.
  • gettricky
    gettricky Posts: 103
    I personally have cut out carbs quite a lot and eat a lot more protein, not just for cycling, i do Kung Fu as well and my master never stops raving about how your body needs lots of quality protein and from food not powders. Along with a really good range of good quality vegetables/fruit. If you want to keep off body fat, keep fit and healthy its imperative you eat well, that means good quality food and a proper balance. Avoid empty calories from refined sugar and processed shit. We all eat it a bit, but if you stop for any length of time you realise how much it affects you. My master suggests lots of aches, pains, fatigue etc is the dire quality of western food, processing and mass farming. And the national obesity statiscis show something is wrong in our collective diets.

As I mentioned above, along with cardio training, you really want to build muscle, muscle takes lots of calories to maintain which means you're passively burning calories all the time, and after exercise it burns more as it repairs/strengthens muscles. In the short term you'll put weight on as you build muscles, but get one of the proper scales which measures body fat, and you'll see it reduce. You're aiming for a BMI of 20-25.

In addition to building muscle, digesting food actually burns lots of calories, so that is why eating little and often helps control putting fat on. If you can build muscle and eat regularly you have to things which are actively burning calories without your doing any excesise.

Your body stores fat as a safety mechanism, in times when food was scarce for our anscestors storing body fat was vital for survival. I have read before that if you leave meals too long, i.e. till your actually hungry you go into starvation/scarce food mode and your body stores fat, if you have a constant stream of food your body doesn't intepret a scarce food situation as doesn't. Also if you leave it till your hungry (going into starvation) you'll over eat and swamp your stomach with a massive load of food to digest which is a stress to the system and it will dump more into fat to cope. Small meals regularly are the way forward, if you can manage it, you'll notice a difference. I don't put on body fat anymore and I'm sure that is why. .

General advice on eating carbs is get slow release ones. Oats in the morning - perfect breakfast. Eat brown rice/pasta etc. And make sure you're having a really balanced diet, fruit, veg, pulses, sees/lentils etc are really good if you don't mind eating them. Along with lean meats.

I used an eating plan/diet book when i had to loose body fat a few years ago, it is called Abs Diet,despite the trashy fad diet name, it was actually invaluable and I still follow some of the basic principles now. In fact most of the above comes from this source.

Think they do a girls version, abs diet for woman. I know there are hundreds of fad diets out there, but this is an eating plan rather than adiet. It encourages you to eat more, regularly and what types of food are fat burning and stimulate your metabolic rate.

You're doing the right thing though, looking at your diet and keeping regular execise, it will help, it just takes commitment and determination.
    ---

Pitch Pro 2009
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Important thing to note if you cut all your carbs too, is what are you going to burn long term on a ride.

Yu can suffer severe energy drops on a deficient diet. the best is to eat sensible( portion size is one of the more improtant factors as alot of people just eat too much like me) keeping it balanced. have a treat but not to much, and keep up the good levels of excersize.

The rewards to slowly losing some wait is the habbits you will form. A healthy excesize you enjoy so you will keep it up, and a sensable overall eating plan. trying to lose weight fast is a bad idea, and is it rarely stays off.
  • p.fitz
    p.fitz Posts: 66
    time is the answer
    Who put that hill there..!!!!!!!!..
  • p.fitz
    time is the answer
  • p.fitz
    time is the answer
  • p.fitz
    time is the answer
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Is there an echo in here?
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • gettricky
    gettricky Posts: 103
    Important thing to note if you cut all your carbs too, is what are you going to burn long term on a ride.

Yu can suffer severe energy drops on a deficient diet. the best is to eat sensible( portion size is one of the more improtant factors as alot of people just eat too much like me) keeping it balanced. have a treat but not to much, and keep up the good levels of excersize.

The rewards to slowly losing some wait is the habbits you will form. A healthy excesize you enjoy so you will keep it up, and a sensable overall eating plan. trying to lose weight fast is a bad idea, and is it rarely stays off.

Balanced diet is always important. I eat carbs, but the good ones :)
    ---

Pitch Pro 2009