ASSOS = 1! Who else is on the podium?

zedders
zedders Posts: 509
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
I've read threads about ASSOS bib shorts, and its clear there number one for quality. Simples. But TBH am not sure I want to splash out around/over £100 for a pair (not just yet anyways - just spent over £1600, and am spending more on other tarty bike stuff at the mo). I curently have 3 pairs of Nalini (just put it down to being a beginner). Am trying to get with the programme, & its about time I got a couple of 'decent' pairs for the sunny - good times. Am looking to spend between £60 - £80 for a pair. (more than double what I prev spent).
If you were to choose another brand for shorts, who would be 2nd & 3rd behind Assos shorts? Any chance I can get a bit of a poll going? I'm completely guessing: Assos =1, Castelli? = 2 , 3rd = no flipping idea? Your assistance would be much apppreciated. Cheers
"I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/

Comments

• guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I'm happy with Endura for all my cycling needs. Helps that my shop sells them so I buy from there. I'll probably get flamed for liking a Scottish brand but hey... they work for me
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I made the mistake of trying on a Rapha sportwool jersey yesterday, the one that comes with the arm warmers.

That's me £125 quid worse off.

I will be sticking with Assos shorts though...
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Go for Assos - They are just quality and you wont be disapointed. Total comfort.
    Brian B.
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    If you're looking to spend upto £80 anyway, beg/borrow (I won't condone stealing :wink: ) £20 from somewhere and get Assos Uno's from Ribble for £100. It will increase your enjoyment more than £20 worth of extra bling for your bike.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • acorn_user
    acorn_user Posts: 1,137
    Nalini does make very nice stuff at the higher end. I'm not sure about their very cheap shorts though. I've not tried Castelli Free shorts, but their KISS pad does not suit me that well. If you want really ace shorts on a lower budget, I would very highly recommend Santini Twist Gel shorts. The lycra is thick and supportive and the pad is great. Our team order was with them this year, and everyone loves the shorts.
  • Anonymous
    I have some FdJ shorts that are Nalini, the chamois looks very basic but in practice they are very good, the fit is really good too.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I've tried most of them and Assos are without doubt the best. Why compromise on comfort? Just to save a few quid? Doesn't make sense to me.
  • zedders
    edited April 2009
    As stated before I'm not arguing about the fact Assos are the best money can by, but surely there must be someone 'trying' to complete with Assos, who are reasonably priced, and are respected as good manufactures of shorts? Someone such, Castelli, Altura, Campag, Gore, De Marchi etc.
    However if everyone keeps saying get a pair of Assos I may have to just bite the bullet, and go for it without letting the misses find out how much they cost! She's spent way over £100 on a handbag (one of many she owns) the other month, so I may have to bring that into the mix if she says anything!
    Although I have seen a pair of Castelli I really like the look of for £70.

• Anonymous
    Just get the Assos ones.

Go on.

Do it.
  • akkers
    akkers Posts: 140
    I wear Assos and nothing else now.
    But prior to that I did use Gore and Castelli.....theyre not quite as good, but IMO theres not a huge amount in it.
    Try Wiggle....they often have both of them at decent discount so you ight find a bargain there.
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    I find my Giordana Tenax bibs just as comfortable for just as long as my Assos ones.
  • Anonymous
    I have some Giordana Tenax shorts too, they are very good, especially at the price, but they just aren't as comfortable on me as my Assos S5 bibshorts.
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    Who cares who is second or third :?:
  • I have a pair of Etxeondo Kromatic and can't fault them for fit or comfort. £70 from Epic.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    I find my Giordana Tenax bibs just as comfortable for just as long as my Assos ones.
    I prefer my Tenax's to my Assos shorts. Less than half the price too.
  • zedders
    SunWuKong wrote:

Not everyone can afford to buy Assos all the time, so it would be nice to know which other brands are right up there, but not quite in the Assos price bracket!

• Anonymous
    Bearing in mind the price, I would have been very happy with My Giordana, Gore and Nalini shorts before I became Assosised. I heartily recommend them if there's no way Assos can be bought.
  • zedders
    Cheers NapoleonD.
    Which Giordana, Gore & Nalini shorts did you use before you became 'Assosised'- Is that a real word?

• Anonymous
    If Jade Goody is a celebrity then Assosised is a real word.

I have Giordana Tenax shorts, Several Gore pairs (can't remember the names) including 3/4 length and winter tights, the Nalini ones are the 2008 Francaise des Jeux team kit shorts, not sure of the model but they are especially great, my fave non-Assos ones. (The chamois on these looks just like, well, a chamois, I was rather skeptical before I wore them.)
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    zedders wrote:
    SunWuKong wrote:

Not everyone can afford to buy Assos all the time, so it would be nice to know which other brands are right up there, but not quite in the Assos price bracket!

Only joking mate.

Personally I quite like my specialized and campag shorts.
  • zedders
    no worries. I didn't take any offence. I just wanted to point out what I said really.

I quite like look of the Campag 'factory' bib shorts for about £65. They're on my short list. (get it short list? ha ha) You think campag shorts are good kit?

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    zedders wrote:
    no worries. I didn't take any offence. I just wanted to point out what I said really.

I quite like look of the Campag 'factory' bib shorts for about £65. They're on my short list. (get it short list? ha ha) You think campag shortsare good kit?

I had the Raytechs. Can't bring myself to wear them after Assos.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    For me - the assos pad in the shorts is like a nappy - way too thick for my liking.

Try the DHB kit. For my bum - its comfier.
  • Poulsy
    Poulsy Posts: 155
    Take a look at Endura FS260 Pro bibshorts. They really are top notch.
  • jaredpace
    jaredpace Posts: 111
    Just got back from GB Cycles in Croydon with another pair of S5 Mille's priced at £126.99 instore. That's £14 cheaper than the 1st pair I got from Wiggle 10 days ago.

But prior to that I did use Gore, Nike and Santini.....they're not as good.

Look back a month on the forum for "Assos- are they really worth the money?" This is a topic I opened as I was thinking of taking the Assos plunge.

I wear Assos and nothing else now. :D
    Jared
  • MrT
    MrT Posts: 260
    As a tall and not svelte but not fat chap i have plenty of issues with bib shorts as if i can get them over my shoulders they often cut me in half...however i have found pearl izumi to be just the ticket in terms of fit and comfort. Cut well, great for comfort on longer rides and the buggers fit
  • Anonymous
    I completely forgot about PI! I have a pair of shorts that were 70 quid from evans (know nowt else about them, they were bought for a photoshoot of Sir Hoy and never used so I got them!) they are very good too...