Acid Reflux trouble

I started with this 3 week ago now and I dont feel like going out on the bike any more :( , does any one else suffer with this and do you get out riding ok with it???

thanks, Andy

Comments

• Nik_B
    Nik_B Posts: 270
    See a doc and ask about Periet or something like that. Strange it just started happening though. I've been on Pariet for 8 or 9 years now and works pretty well. You could get some Zantax as a temporary thing, obviously describe your ailment to the pharmacist first.
  • Hi Nick

I'm on Omeprazole at the moment, think I just need to get my head round it and get back on the bike, just dont know if biking will set it off, spose I could fill the camelback with gaviscone LOL!!!
  • my little bro has this. Ever since a xmas dinner made him very ill, he's had a very bad acid reflux.

He's been to the doctor numerous times but nothing seems to be working for him, any ideas that I can pass on would be appreciated too :)
  • Nik_B
    Hi Nick

I'm on Omeprazole at the moment, think I just need to get my head round it and get back on the bike, just dont know if biking will set it off, spose I could fill the camelback with gaviscone LOL!!!

I doubt cycling will set it off but yesterday I'd forgotten to take my pills untill right before the ride which wasn't smart. Had a bit of trouble but in the end you can still ride its just a bit unplesant.

Good idea with the gaviscone bet it would be a bugger to clean out :lol:

By the way the docs tried to switch me to rapbebrazol big capules they were rushish and no surprises that they were cheaper. Lucky for me a locum (spelling?) switched me back to the good stuff :D
  • Nik_B
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    my little bro has this. Ever since a xmas dinner made him very ill, he's had a very bad acid reflux.

He's been to the doctor numerous times but nothing seems to be working for him, any ideas that I can pass on would be appreciated too :)

First stop would be a blood test to see if he has an ulcer caused by a certain bacteria, this can be sorted with antibiotics. Failing that see a doctor for medication like Pariet and finally they recomend sticking a camera down your throat but I've avoided this so far as it doesn't sound very nice. Mind you my mother in Law had it done and she said she was sedated before they did it so maybe it's not that bad.

If its just every now and then get gaviscon zantax etc
  • Nik_B
    Oh and unfortunately alcohol, coffee, smoking, all the fun stuff, is very bad for this problem from what I understand.
  • Yea he went for the camera down the throat thing, but he couldn't do it. TBH I don't think I would.

I think he's got something that stems the effects, but he's had it for probably 2 years with noting being able to help.
    Its only when he eats though - to me it sounds like the valve located directly above the stomach isn't doing its job... acid getting onto the bottom of his oesophagus. (bit like heartburn really)
  • Sounds like a common thing, pain in the bloody arse though, well I aint going to let it get me down any longer.
  • The bug is called Heli co bacter pylori and if present is easily treated with a course of anti biotics. Some GP surgerys can test for this by completing a breath test. Please don't let it go untreated or checked. People of certain ages are more at risk but dont delay see the doc today. Well tomorrow or this week. Best wishes Helen
  • Forgot to ask if you suffer with sinusitis as acid reflux can sometimes also cause this. It may be worth mentioning.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Our 7 month old baby has had this since he was born! Didn't realise adults could get it.

As an aside, I'm getting sinusitis almost constantly - every time I go in the sea more or less (to surf). Most annoying. I still train with it but it makes me feel rough.
  • Mark\' 62
    Mark\' 62 Posts: 40
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Yea he went for the camera down the throat thing, but he couldn't do it. TBH I don't think I would.

I think he's got something that stems the effects, but he's had it for probably 2 years with noting being able to help.
    Its only when he eats though - to me it sounds like the valve located directly above the stomach isn't doing its job... acid getting onto the bottom of his oesophagus. (bit like heartburn really)

it sounds if he may have a hiatus hernia, ive had the camera down my throat for other stomach problems and thats when they told me, it's the valve at the bottom of your stomach that doesn't close properly and lets gasses back up
    growing old is compulsory

growing up is optional
  • Nik_B wrote:
    Hi Nick

I doubt cycling will set it off but yesterday I'd forgotten to take my pills untill right before the ride which wasn't smart. Had a bit of trouble but in the end you can still ride its just a bit unplesant.

Good idea with the gaviscone bet it would be a bugger to clean out :lol:

By the way the docs tried to switch me to rapbebrazol big capules they were rushish and no surprises that they were cheaper. Lucky for me a locum (spelling?) switched me back to the good stuff :D

What are you taking now???
  • Nik_B
    Its called Pariet.
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    Hi Transporterboy and any of the other members who are experiencing problems with prolonged Acid Reflux.

I would suggest you go and see a doctor. You do not have to suffer this burning, it can be easily controlled so that you experience no burning whatsoever. Do not let it control and ruin your life, you are doing yourself harm by suffering and trying to live with the Acid Reflux.

I started experiencing problems at around 14, i'm now 36. At first, the burning wasn't really that bad, just a little burning/discomfort now and then, however after a couple of years it was becoming totally unbarable and felt like my whole oesophagus was on fire. I then started getting Acid liquid coming up my throat and into my mouth which tasted vile, and it then started eroding the enamel on my teeth!!!! It was getting so bad that i just couldn't live with it any longer.

Initially, i was just taking Rennie which i would purchase from somewhere like ASDA, however as the symptoms progressed and got worse, the Rennie stopped working.

I noticed however that eating food seemed to help, so i started eating whenever the burning started, which only led to excessive weight gain, however the burning was so unbarable that i had to relieve it somehow and if it meant eating then so beit.

I then went to see a doctor and he gave me some type of chalk tablet which worked for a few months but then stopped working.

I then went back to the doc, explained the situation, and this time he sent me for a blood test to rule out a bug that can live in the stomach called Helicobacter Pylori.

This bug has been present in the stomach of those with Ulcers and Stomach Cancer. It 'was' (not sure if this is still the case as was told this by my doctor some 20 years ago!) that this bug eats away at the protective lining of the stomach. Your stomach has protective lining to stop the Acid burning the stomach whereas the Oesophagus doesn't hence the reason why it burns when Acid enters it. The bug eats away at the protective lining, and then the acid erodes the lining of the stomach and starts an ulcer, after which, many years later, in 'some', can develop into stomach cancer if left untreated.

Anyway, he said if my blood test comes back positive for this bug, he can give me 2 weeks supply of tablets (combination tablets) which will kill the bug and i should then be symptom free. However, it came back negative! :shock:

He gave me another tablet to try which is called Zoton, and the actual active ingredient is Lanzoprozole. I would recommend that anybody with prolonged problems go and see their doctor and mention Lanzoprozole, as i take one 15mg tablet and it lasts me about 3 days, and during that 3 days i can eat absolutely anything i want to and do not experience ANY burning whatsoever.

However, i didn't want to take this tablet for the rest of my life so after a couple of years i went back to the doctor to try and find out once and for all what is causing the problem. He suggested the camera down the throat, and i am so paranoid about things going down my throat, as i choked on a Gob Stopper when i was 6 and i still wake up (now 36) having nightmares about choking, however i went to a private hospital, they said i would be awake during the procedure, i explained the situation with choking, they said if they have any problems with me then they will take the appropriate action, and all i remember is laying there in an operating theatre :shock: , them showing me this massive plasma screen that i can watch and look at my insides on as the camera goes down (thought this would be interesting :D ), and then they went to put the camera in my mouth, and as soon as it started going down my throat i gagged and started choking (must have been for about 0.5 of a second), and then next thing i remember is waking up in the recovery room and being told its all over and the consultant will be in to see me in a moment to explain my problem. I honestly did not remember anything, and as soon as i started choking they injected something into me and i was out for the count!

Anyway, i just wanted to explain the above for those who ARE worried about the camera procedure, honestly, you really do not need to worry.

I ended up having a Hiatus Hernia, i was apparently born with it, and its when the valve at the bottom of the Oesophagus doesn't work, apparently due to a weak muscle. The valve is supposed to open to let food into the stomach, and then close whilst the stomach acid is breaking down the food, however in my case the valve remains permanently in the open position, which allows the stomach acid to flow up the oesophagus and into the throat and mouth.

If this is left untreated then you can end up with Oesophagus Disease, whereby the acid eats away and erodes the Oesophagus which is really not good and 'may' cause Cancer of the Oesophagus in later years.

I don't intend to frighten or worry anybody with the above, however i just want to highlight the dangers of leaving something which 'some' may consider a minor inconvenience when in reality it can mean the difference between life and death in the future.

Lanzoprozole is a Proton Pump Inhibitor and it reduces the amount of acid released by the stomach, and therefore stops the acid entering the oesophagus and therefore you are symptom free.

I think it is a real shame if you leave your symptoms and don't seek medical advise from a doctor. As firstly, as i've allready stated above, if its persistant and ongoing, then it can turn nasty if left untreated, and if you are doing everything you can to keep your body in shape by excercsing and biking, then why let something like acid eat away at your insides which in effect is what it is doing.......

Also, don't let something which is so easy to treat get in the way of your hobbies and enjoyment. :D

Go and see the doc and live symptom free, it really honestly is that easy :)

Soni
  • Thanks for that info Soni, had blood tests which came back normal but have to go back to docs next week for results of H Pilori test, hopefully will be ok, been on proton pump (omeprazole) tabs for a month now which I think are starting to work but still keep worrying about this.

cheers,
    Andy.
  • Soni
    Thanks for that info Soni, had blood tests which came back normal but have to go back to docs next week for results of H Pilori test, hopefully will be ok, been on proton pump (omeprazole) tabs for a month now which I think are starting to work but still keep worrying about this.

cheers,
    Andy.

Hi Andy, i may have not read your post correctly, but are you saying you are allready taking 'a' Proton Pump and have been for a month and you 'think' it is starting to work?

If this is the case, i would ask your doctor for Zoton/Lanzoprozole. This tablet is available in both 15mg and 30mg capsules, i used to be on the 35mg capsules but one capsule lasted me about 7 days before the symtoms would re-occur, and the doctor then suggested the 15mg capsules which last me about 3 days, so that i don't have so much of the drug in my body at any one time.

After the 3 days, and the burning re-starts, if i haven't got any tablets on me, i wait until i get home and take a tablet and i can feel it working after about 60-90 minutes, and after 2 hrs the symtoms are completly gone.

It shouldn't take a month to start working.

I wouild be interested in hearing what the outcome is once you see your doctor, if you don't mind that is :lol: , not meaning to be nosey, just genuinely interested....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    hi there, this is something I suffered from a while back for about a year and went for numerous blood tests and was poked about upon a bit, all which came back negative.

So I changed my diet a little and started using the littel yakult pots, one before breakfast each morning, I still get it a little but its only a few times a week and when I've been eating rich foods.

I eat the following foods only in moderation now
    Pastry
    Bread
    Oranges (citrus acid)
    Anything with a high butter or diary content.
    Beer.. and pizza *sniff sniff* lifes best food!
    Chilies

I've found with a combination of that and plenty of water each day (about 2-3litres) it's totally cleared up, takes a few months though and the problem wont go away.

I went to see the doc 1st though to see if it was the old hernia issue.
    Also sitting up straight seemed to help as well so the stomach isn't cramped.

Anyway take it easy man, it also may be stress related, try changing tea or coffee for camomile tea.

peace

G
  • Had blood tests including helicopactorpilori if thats how you spell it, urine sample, been poked all over and every thing was normal, been on omeprazole for a month and just started on lanzaprozole and I think its getting a bit better, I have been stressed with a house move that kept going tits up and work didnt help and was wondering if that could have triggered it off, also cut a lot of crap out of my diet, been in and out of docs and they just kept saying its acid reflux so I will just finish the pills and see how it goes and try to stop worrying about it which I think may have made it worse.

also I have started taking manuka honey which is suposed to be great for reflux so that may be helping, £12 a jar though :shock: http://www.activemanukahoneyusa.com/Nat ... atment.htm

thanks for all the info guys

Andy.
  • Soni
    Hi Transporter boy, now you are on the Lazoprozole, i bet you notice a significant improvement, that is normally prescribed for a 2 week duration, as they used to have the days of the week on the blister packet, hower as posted previously i have to take it regularly.

However, thanks for posting that honey link, i will definetely give that a go as i would love to come off the Lanzoprozole, however the burning i experience is too bad not to take Lanzoprozole, whereas if the honey is equally as effective then i might be able to stop the Lanzoprozole completely!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Had blood tests including helicopactorpilori if thats how you spell it, urine sample, been poked all over and every thing was normal, been on omeprazole for a month and just started on lanzaprozole and I think its getting a bit better, I have been stressed with a house move that kept going tits up and work didnt help and was wondering if that could have triggered it off, also cut a lot of crap out of my diet, been in and out of docs and they just kept saying its acid reflux so I will just finish the pills and see how it goes and try to stop worrying about it which I think may have made it worse.

also I have started taking manuka honey which is suposed to be great for reflux so that may be helping, £12 a jar though :shock: http://www.activemanukahoneyusa.com/Nat ... atment.htm

thanks for all the info guys

Andy.

no worries dude, feel ya pain.. p.s those pills will help... you wont' be able to afford food buying that honey at that price. :-)

take it easy.. go riding more with headphones on , bliss! :)
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    I suffer with acid reflux problems and also haemhorragic gastritis. I've had no joy with any of the proton pump inhibitors that I've been taking for the reflux problems, and my doctor has put me on a course of Denol-tab for the gastritis, they're not working yet though unfortunately. The gastritis causes little blisters in my stomach lining which then burst and bleed, it's pretty uncomfortable and it's stopping me sleeping most nights so I'm off work at the moment trying to rest and I'm shattered 90% of the time, doctor said the best thing for it would be to lose some weight, unfortunately I'm too worn out to do a great deal of any exercise at the moment so it's a bit of a vicous circle.
    Don't drink, don't smoke, I've given up spicy foods (which I love) just need to get a few stones off I reckon.
    Annoying thing is when this gastritis problem started last year, I was fit as a flea, riding all the time and getting plenty of running and setting good 10k times. Since this time last year when it started I've slowed down with all my exercise and I've managed to find 5 stone :(

Sorry to sound like a big moaner, I've no cures or advice to give but if anyone has any to offer me I'd appreciate it :)
  • Soni
    OwenB wrote:
    I suffer with acid reflux problems and also haemhorragic gastritis. I've had no joy with any of the proton pump inhibitors that I've been taking for the reflux problems, and my doctor has put me on a course of Denol-tab for the gastritis, they're not working yet though unfortunately. The gastritis causes little blisters in my stomach lining which then burst and bleed, it's pretty uncomfortable and it's stopping me sleeping most nights so I'm off work at the moment trying to rest and I'm shattered 90% of the time, doctor said the best thing for it would be to lose some weight, unfortunately I'm too worn out to do a great deal of any exercise at the moment so it's a bit of a vicous circle.
    Don't drink, don't smoke, I've given up spicy foods (which I love) just need to get a few stones off I reckon.
    Annoying thing is when this gastritis problem started last year, I was fit as a flea, riding all the time and getting plenty of running and setting good 10k times. Since this time last year when it started I've slowed down with all my exercise and I've managed to find 5 stone :(

Sorry to sound like a big moaner, I've no cures or advice to give but if anyone has any to offer me I'd appreciate it :)

Mate, i'm sorry to hear about your uncontrolled symtoms, the very thought of not being able to stop the acid reflux makes me feel terrified, as i know what its like - refer to my posts above, but fortunately mine is controlled with Lanzoprozole, have you tried this yet?

Lanzoprozole is the first and only proton pump inhibitor i have tried, and luckily it works for me, but the thought of not being able to get it from the pharmacy anymore in the future worries me to death.....as i honestly wouldn't be able to live without it as the symptoms are that bad....
  • OwenB
    OwenB Posts: 606
    Yeah that one was the first proton pump I tried, it doesn't seem to have any effect at all, I'm trying to control it with diet and I know it would be better if I lost a bit of weight, but like I say it's hard as I need to do a bit of exercise and unfortunatly I'm left feeling quite lethargic with the lack of sleep.

I've had the camera down my throat and they at least gave me some lovely colour pictures of my problems so that I can show people my blistered stomach :lol: I've had pretty much every test and they can't seem to give an actual cause, guess I'll just have to get on with it but it's a pain in the backside.