Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

just bought a sony handycam

downfaderdownfader Posts: 3,686
edited April 2009 in The bottom bracket
A hdr-cx105e to be precise and some things have have kind of crossed my mind.

The positives are quite a few. Its HD 1080p and the image is good, nice vivid colours without looking daft or alien. Its small and light, you can use the internal 8gb drive or a flash card.

The negatives are just polar to the positives.. annoyingly it only uses Sony's own media format despite the manual saying it uses mpeg2 and 4 (boooo..! Bad Sony, bad!) It has a touchscreen. No buttons to navigate means you get fingerprints all over the screen. When you press a function or open the cam up to record it has an annoying set of sounds that I just cant seem to turn off.

Then theres the manual. Its a bit naff. And no I dont want to install the sony software. :? :wink:

• dilemnadilemna Posts: 2,277
    That's the problem with Sony you can only use their memory sticks etc not SD generic cards. I have a Zeiss Cybershot whilst it's good you can't use generic accessories in it :cry: You can use aftermarket but these are only specific to Sony if you get my drift.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 28,799
    I like bikes.
  • ddraverddraver Posts: 19,568
    Yeah my Sony DSLR has a similar problem - at least it uses compact flash which is resonably widespread - but then you can only use sony flashguns etc etc

The RAW format is different between all bloody camera manufacturers though!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • downfaderdownfader Posts: 3,686
    ddraver wrote:
    Yeah my Sony DSLR has a similar problem - at least it uses compact flash which is resonably widespread - but then you can only use sony flashguns etc etc

The RAW format is different between all bloody camera manufacturers though!!

Its a shame really, as if they camera companies got off their bottoms and worked towards a standard they could share the effort. Other than using jpegs and tiff files which are pretty limited.

I still feel that the best raw formats come from canon and nikon. Those newer to the dslr market havent had the experience. Personal opinion obviously.