Helmets - the burning issue

rally200
rally200 Posts: 646
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
Having read carefully through all the calm, reasoned threads on the subject, I finallly decided a couple of months ago not to worry about messing my hair up, and buy a helmet.

Why did no one mention the tan lines?

One week of hazy sunshine & I look like a loon. I'm tempted to nick the wife's fake tan to colour in the top half of my forehead. Or I could just wear my red & white striped ersey to match my face.

Comments

• tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Just wear your helmet all the time of course.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    A burning helmet came be very painful :shock: :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    personally I don;t care if I look a numpty wearing a helmet, to avoid the tan lines I wear plenty of sun creme and have a fringe :lol:

wearing helmets are personal, but I would advocate them

I have to admit I forgot my helmet the other night when cycling to sea cadets. I was told off by a senior officer for not setting an example, the next evening meeting I was there wearing it. I guess with kids some kind of example has to be set even if they don't choose to follow it.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Congratulations to rally 200 for generating some heat into such a cold issue.

If what we who wear helmets, predict happens; the those that do not, will not be able to notice that they were wrong.

An interesting feature of some blood pressure control tablets is a tendency to sunburn easily. Cheaper than a flight to Mallorca.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    itboffin wrote:
    A burning helmet came be very painful :shock: :lol:

Sheer genius!!!

:lol::lol::lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I have four red patches on my scalp from wearing a helmet in the sun this weekend :shock:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    biondino wrote:
    I have four red patches on my scalp from wearing a helmet in the sun this weekend :shock:

I have none, because I'm sensible* and wore a cap rather than a helmet. :lol:

*although not sensible enough to wear SPF on my arms :oops:

Wearing a cap under the helmet is worth thinking about, keeps the sun off and soaks up the sweat.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Or just remember to apply a decent SPF on yer bonce before you go out...The non greasy alcohol based spray stuff is the the stuff I use when I'm working (in the sun on boats)

Alternatively get a tan without going out on yer bike...A few hours in the sun with a beer usually does the trick ;)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    snooks wrote:
    Or just remember to apply a decent SPF on yer bonce before you go out...The non greasy alcohol based spray stuff is the the stuff I use when I'm working (in the sun on boats)

Alternatively get a tan without going out on yer bike...A few hours in the sun with a beer usually does the trick ;)
    But but that's nanotechnology isn't it? Surely the nanoparticles will soak through your scalp, into your brain and take over your body?

Personally, I use hair to keep the sun off my head. I'll get my coat.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    +1 on the hair method
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    There must be a lot of baldies on here.
    It`s funny that some people don`t want to burn their bonce but aren`t worried about landing on it..
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    antfly wrote:
    It`s funny that some people don`t want to burn their bonce but aren`t worried about landing on it..

I've done both & the former was far more painful :shock:

I do wear a helmet though as it will protect your head from both :lol:
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    antfly wrote:

I take it that (unlike the original poster) you havn't read through all of the calm and reasoned arguments on the subject...!

You want to watch out for that beer stuff, too- leads to all sorts of nasty injuries, even without the skin-cancer being factored in....

Be safe.

Cheers,
    W.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    itboffin wrote:
    +1 on the hair method

yup and the tan in a nano sec any way, i'd need to do something very dumb to burn in uk.
  • antfly
    antfly wrote:

I take it that (unlike the original poster) you havn't read through all of the calm and reasoned arguments on the subject...!

You want to watch out for that beer stuff, too- leads to all sorts of nasty injuries, even without the skin-cancer being factored in....

Be safe.

Cheers,
    W.

I did my own research when I fell on my head without a helmet, it hurt,what I remember of it.I haven`t fallen on my helmet yet so I can`t say if it hurts any less but I reckon it will.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    antfly wrote:
    antfly wrote:

Be safe.

Cheers,
    W.

I did my own research when I fell on my head without a helmet, it hurt,what I remember of it.I haven`t fallen on my helmet yet so I can`t say if it hurts any less but I reckon it will.

oh yippy a new born helmet thread.....
  • antfly
    Sorry.