Forum home Road cycling forum Tours, routes, audaxes & organised rides Sportives/audaxes/training rides

Which is harder...FWC or Etape du Dales?

BigSpecsBigSpecs Posts: 309
Never having done either. What do people think? Which is the harder ride (weather conditions being equal) of the two, Fred Whitton Challenge or Etape du Dales? They seem similar distances and both pretty hilly (gross understatement)
Cheers,
Col.

Posts

  • AndyRubioAndyRubio Posts: 880
    EITHER
    (a) they're as hard as you make them - you should be utterly exhausted as you cross the finish line no matter what the event
    OR
    (b) the Fred - it's hillier and the hills are way steeper

    You choose.
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 26,752
    Haven't done either, but a friend of mine who did both several times used to find the Etape du Dales harder... he said there isn't a single flat mile
  • nickwillnickwill Posts: 2,735
    Haven't done either, but a friend of mine who did both several times used to find the Etape du Dales harder... he said there isn't a single flat mile
    I've ridden the Fred a couple of times, but I haven't ridden the etape. I did find the White Rose Classic to be harder than the Fred Whitton for the reason given above. The Dales have one small climb after another between the hard climbs, and they grind you down. I wouldn't be at all surprised if people came back more tired from the etape.
  • AndyRubioAndyRubio Posts: 880
    Haven't done either, but a friend of mine who did both several times used to find the Etape du Dales harder... he said there isn't a single flat mile
    hmmm not sure about that - a gorgeous 15 miles-ish stretch from just after the Dent Head Viaduct to Stainforth, and the final 12 miles or so is flat enough for you to TT it to the end, albeit with a small rise a mile or two from the finish.

    But whatever the answer, they're both brutish and nasty sportives, and finishing is an achievement in itself jeez. I DNFed at the 2008 EdD by the way.
  • kevbhkevbh Posts: 26
    Done the Fred 3 times and the Etape twice. The Fred is definately harder. Did the etape 30mins quicker both times than my best on the Fred.
    I also think the White Rose is way harder than the Etape.
    But its just my opinion and everyone is different.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,667
    Everyones got there own opinion of course...Ive ridden the Fred twice....Never ridden the EdDs...but I did ride the White Rose....and everyone Ive spoke with reckons the White Rose is the toughest Dales Sportive....the White Rose was very tough....but harder than the Fred?...I dont think so...not even close IMO.

    The climbs associated with the FWC elevate the event to a higher level..I think it can get pretty 'hip' to dispel the difficluty of the freddy....I've seen many riders say on forums "not that hard"...to me this is nowt but a boast....hitting Hardknott at 100miles is the toughest thing Ive ever did in cycling...it becomes so hard that even surviving becomes an acheivement....thats if you go out with the mindset of no walking....but Ive spoke with many who bring cleat covers to the Freddy...they have no intent of riding the big boys at the end...and many ive spoken with enroute have said "oh, Im not even going to attempt cycling up that"...so the EdDs could maybe be just as tough if walking the Badboy combo on the Fred is the name of the game.....but for everyone who has tried there very best to ride up the Hardnott & Wrynose at 100miles...I reckon most will be in same opinion as me....only event ive ridden which is tougher than the Freddy is the DLMC....
  • nickwillnickwill Posts: 2,735
    kevbh wrote:
    Done the Fred 3 times and the Etape twice. The Fred is definately harder. Did the etape 30mins quicker both times than my best on the Fred.
    I also think the White Rose is way harder than the Etape.
    But its just my opinion and everyone is different.

    I think you must be right there, I'd forgotten about the flat section mentioned above.
  • andy_wrxandy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Nickwill wrote:
    I've ridden the Fred a couple of times, but I haven't ridden the etape. I did find the White Rose Classic to be harder than the Fred Whitton for the reason given above. The Dales have one small climb after another between the hard climbs, and they grind you down. I wouldn't be at all surprised if people came back more tired from the etape.
    kevbh wrote:
    Done the Fred 3 times and the Etape twice. The Fred is definately harder. Did the etape 30mins quicker both times than my best on the Fred.
    I also think the White Rose is way harder than the Etape.
    But its just my opinion and everyone is different.

    Interesting !

    I'm doing the Fred for the first time in 12 days' time and looking forward to it with a bit of trepidation....

    Haven't done the EdD, but have done the White Rose and didn't find it that bad at all - long, hilly, tiring, but not impossibly hard by any means.

    This is reassuring though - I'd assumed the Fred was one or maybe two notches up the hardness scale. If it's not, then maybe I shouldn't be that worried about it.

    I suppose I'll find out in 12 days' time !
  • samoffsamoff Posts: 128
    There's only one way to find out.....


    fiiiiiiiiiiight
    "Check your sheds! Check your sheds! I think I've lost my mind" Half Man Half Biscuit
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,667
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Nickwill wrote:
    I've ridden the Fred a couple of times, but I haven't ridden the etape. I did find the White Rose Classic to be harder than the Fred Whitton for the reason given above. The Dales have one small climb after another between the hard climbs, and they grind you down. I wouldn't be at all surprised if people came back more tired from the etape.
    kevbh wrote:
    Done the Fred 3 times and the Etape twice. The Fred is definately harder. Did the etape 30mins quicker both times than my best on the Fred.
    I also think the White Rose is way harder than the Etape.
    But its just my opinion and everyone is different.

    Interesting !

    I'm doing the Fred for the first time in 12 days' time and looking forward to it with a bit of trepidation....

    Haven't done the EdD, but have done the White Rose and didn't find it that bad at all - long, hilly, tiring, but not impossibly hard by any means.

    This is reassuring though - I'd assumed the Fred was one or maybe two notches up the hardness scale. If it's not, then maybe I shouldn't be that worried about it.

    I suppose I'll find out in 12 days' time !

    I think the freddys way harder than the WRC....yes, much harder...if your game is cycling up all the badboys then be worried....be very worried...as you are going to experience an effort very unlike anything else...christ Honister Pass is way harder than anything on the WRC or EdDs nevermind the bigboy....theres a reason no one speaks on the 6 mile stretch between the king George Pub and the foot of Hardknott...everyones sh*ttin it....bigtime....last year only one guy cycled passed me on that 6 mile part....and he just looked at me and shook his head....everyone else was trying to cycle backwards...Im really glad I've restrained myself this year...hitting that at 100miles after the likes of Honister.Newlands is a disgrace.
  • andy_wrxandy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Ah, my little splurge of optimism has been squashed, and I'm back to my previous state of trepidation !
  • ColinJColinJ Posts: 2,218
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Ah, my little splurge of optimism has been squashed, and I'm back to my previous state of trepidation !
    I'm brimming over with optimism for the FWC and don't feel any trepidation whatsoever!


















    Mind you.... I'm not riding it! :wink:
  • BooboocpBooboocp Posts: 1,156
    I don't think anyone would deny that exceptional athletes have completed both the FWC and the WRC.

    Now look at the times and you'll see that the WRC takes a fair bit longer to complete, despite being slightly shorter. That should give you a clue... :wink:
    <b>Event Website:</b> http://www.whiteroseclassic.co.uk
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,667
    Booboocp wrote:
    I don't think anyone would deny that exceptional athletes have completed both the FWC and the WRC.

    Now look at the times and you'll see that the WRC takes a fair bit longer to complete, despite being slightly shorter. That should give you a clue... :wink:

    Yes, I'm not for a minute reckoning the WRC is not a serious trial...it is...I was well knackered after last years event...but the climbs on the Freddy are in a different league in terms of difficulty....and having rode both I reckon my efforts on the Freddy way exceeded the WRC...Ive did the Fred twice now...and both times Ive near died on the Evil Twin sisters at the end....nowhere in my cycling history are such questions asked of my determination.strength,will power and down right stupidity...if you cycle the whole freddy its a survival game....thats my honest opinion....
  • FeltupFeltup Posts: 1,340
    Never in the course of human history have so many cycled so slowly and for so long as on Hardknott. (before giving up and walking!) :wink:
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

    Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • roger_merrimanroger_merriman Posts: 6,161
    hardknott does look a great climb i'll be after that at some point.
  • Rich158Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    5 minutes ago I was full of confidence for the FWC :lol:

    Thanks guys, now I'm really shitting it :shock: :shock:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

    Revised FCN - 2
  • FeltupFeltup Posts: 1,340
    Rich158 wrote:
    5 minutes ago I was full of confidence for the FWC :lol:

    Thanks guys, now I'm really ******** it :shock: :shock:

    Join the club! I wonder if people avoid drafting on the approach due to nervous flatulance :oops:
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

    Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • ash68ash68 Posts: 320
    I was lucky enough to get an entry into all 3 rides last year . For me personally the fred was by far the hardest. Then the White rose , then the Etape. I did the Ryedale rumble too, IMO that is a very close second to the Fred . They were both run on very hot days last year and I was absolutely knackered by the end of them both... Anyone wanting a severe test of stamina and staying power .. the Rumble will be ideal for you.
  • pugwashcppugwashcp Posts: 120
    I can't make a comparison because I haven't tackled either.

    I did, however, drag my backside round the Lakeland Loop a couple of weeks back and I can honestly say that I've never been as nervous about any stretch of road as I was on the approach to Hardknott. It's scary...and steep....very steep.....rediculously steep....and then you get to the nasty bits!! :shock:

    I've never worked as hard on a bike as I did to get up that thing and anyone that can tackle it after 100 miles is a better man than me.

    My hat's off to anyone that tries it.

    Good luck chaps.
    He who dies with the most toys wins!
Sign In or Register to comment.