Dipstick or Hero?

HonestAl
HonestAl Posts: 406
edited April 2009 in The bottom bracket
So I was pedalling merrily towards home a few nights ago, lovely evening for a ride. I'd just dragged my tired ancient carcase up a hill about 10 miles or so from home when I caught up to a guy going pretty slowly on a Cervelo. I gave him my usual merry "evening" only to be totally ignored.

So on I pootled, doing a reasonable pace by my standards, but by no means fast, and became aware of a clicking behind me. The clicking was my new found friend, right up behind me. On we went. A few miles later with my new friend right up my arse I began to theorise on what he'd do. Now my age, belly and history of physical fitness (read unfitness) means that I go up hills just slightly slower than an asthmatic grannie. So, thought I, I suspect my tailing cycling buddy is going to get to the bottom of the next decent hill and "show me" Ah well, it takes all sorts.

We get to the bottom of the hill and my clicking through my gears is accompanied by similar noise from just behind, followed by a lot of chain clatter and a curse. Determined not to look back lest I turn into a pillar of salt I sweat merrily on. A few minutes later our hero goes past me, leaving me for dead.

I spent the rest of my ride home thinking (a) what sort of kick did this guy get out of doing that, and (b) why did it irritate me so much?

Which made me wonder who was the idiot, me or him?
"The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    He is a pratt. Not you, to be ignored when saying hello is plain rude. Really when you think of how ignorant and selfish/stupid some people can be they are usually worse than you first realise.

If you see him again, pass him and squirt him with your water bottle.
  • That is just plain ignorance - not worth the water in your bottle!

Ride On 8)
    Ride On ...
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 925
    Yeah wheel suckers, er, suck.
    You should have flicked your elbow earlier :lol: