Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

Armstrong in the clear

phil sphil s Posts: 1,128
edited April 2009 in Pro race
LIEGE, Belgium, April 24, 2009 (AFP) - The French anti-doping agency (AFLD) said Friday it would not be launching a disciplinary procedure against seven-time Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong.
Armstrong claimed this month that French anti-doping authorities were plotting to prevent him from racing in the Tour de France after the AFLD questioned his behaviour at an out-of-competition test in March.
But the AFLD said in a statement it had decided not to take action against the racer.
The body "has decided to take into consideration the athlete's written explanations and, in consequence, not to open a disciplinary procedure against him.
"Analysis of urine and blood samples of Mr Lance Armstrong have not shown up anomalies," the AFLD added.
The seven-time champion, who has undergone 24 drug tests since his comeback to professional racing in September last year, had become increasingly annoyed with the AFLD.
"I know that my comeback wasn't welcomed by a lot of people in France," Armstrong said in a recent video message.
Anticipating AFLD "antics" he added that "there's a very high likelihood that they (the AFLD) prohibit me from riding in the Tour."
The AFLD's dispute with Armstrong relates to the test when the Astana rider took a shower at his French home for 20 minutes while the identity of a doping official, who had come calling, was verified with cycling's governing body, the UCI.
Armstrong claims he was given permission to shower by the official who turned up after a training ride in the French riviera town of Beaulieu-sur-Mer on March 17.
"We asked the official to wait outside while we checked to see if he was legitimate," said Armstrong who was surprised that a tester had arrived alone.
"The control was fine, there was nothing abnormal....but a few weeks later we have this issue that they want to start disciplinary proceedings."
Pat McQuaid, the president of cycling's governing body, accused the AFLD of "not acting very professionally in this case."
He said he believed that "Armstrong had every right to take a shower while his manager (Astana team head Johan Bruyneel) checked with the UCI that these people had the authority to take these samples."
The AFLD's nine-member ruling committee had been mulling whether to punish Armstrong.
Armstrong, who is currently recovering from surgery after breaking his collar bone, is hoping to line up for the Tour of Italy, which starts on May 9.
-- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
«1

Posts

  • KléberKléber Posts: 6,842
    Storm in a urine sample pot then. Armstrong looks a bit silly, all his "they're out to get me, nasty Frogs" was pointless, he should have trusted the AFLD's protocol. A top sportsman should be be supporting the anti-doping authorities, not undermining them. Any doubts and arguments with the AFLD should have been communicated in private, not Twitter.

    One thing stands out: "Pat McQuaid... believed that "Armstrong had every right to take a shower while his manager (Astana team head Johan Bruyneel) checked with the UCI that these people had the authority to take these samples.""
    eh? No athlete is allowed to leave the eyesight of chaperone or tester, no matter what grounds they have to query the identity or credentials of the tester. If McQuaid thinks it's ok to saunter off for a shower he needs to spend the weekend reading his own rules.
  • teagarteagar Posts: 2,100
    Kléber wrote:

    One thing stands out: "Pat McQuaid... believed that "Armstrong had every right to take a shower while his manager (Astana team head Johan Bruyneel) checked with the UCI that these people had the authority to take these samples.""
    eh? No athlete is allowed to leave the eyesight of chaperone or tester, no matter what grounds they have to query the identity or credentials of the tester. If McQuaid thinks it's ok to saunter off for a shower he needs to spend the weekend reading his own rules.

    Why would he bite the hand that feeds him?

    Someone should sort out the conflict of interested. Someone who runs cycling, who inevitably needs to make it more popular/wealthy etc shouldn't be the arbiter for doping issues.
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,563
    Kléber wrote:
    No athlete is allowed to leave the eyesight of chaperone or tester, no matter what grounds they have to query the identity or credentials of the tester.

    This rule is in WRITTING? Just asking as I don't really know. Only ask because lots of things get talked about and if they get talked about a lot the next thing you know they
    become "truth" whether they are or not. And you know me. I question everything. :wink:

    Dennis Noward
  • KléberKléber Posts: 6,842
    "Athletes shall be chaperoned from notification to sample provision."
    WADA
  • calvjonescalvjones Posts: 3,850
    No doubt Lance has apologised via twitted for impugning the AFLDs integrity and professionalism?

    Eh?

    Oh.
    ___________________

    Strava is not Zen.
  • iainf72iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I thought that said "Lance is using the Clear"
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddlesblazing_saddles Posts: 18,218
    calvjones wrote:
    No doubt Lance has apologised via twitted for impugning the AFLDs integrity and professionalism?

    Eh?

    Oh.

    Have a read of CN's forum.
    The FB's are now blaming the AFLD for making this story such a headline and talking out of turn.
    For some he can do no wrong, no matter what.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,563
    calvjones wrote:
    No doubt Lance has apologised via twitted for impugning the AFLDs integrity and professionalism?

    Eh?

    Oh.

    Do you feel the need to have him apoligize to you?

    Dennis Noward
  • The ProdigyThe Prodigy Posts: 832
    Vindication at last, read it and weep Aurelio, Lance is clean
  • cadenzacadenza Posts: 8
    Yaaaay. Gooooooo Lance, gooooooo Lance :lol:

    Eat his tyre rubber all you moanin-faced, dope-obsessed weenies :D
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people"
  • The ProdigyThe Prodigy Posts: 832
    cadenza wrote:
    Yaaaay. Gooooooo Lance, gooooooo Lance :lol:

    Eat his tyre rubber all you moanin-faced, dope-obsessed weenies :D

    Tyre rubber....surely he should leave that on the wheels, Lance is a god but theres only the chap I saw riding down the high street last week that doesn't need a bit of rubber on his wheels
  • KléberKléber Posts: 6,842
    iainf72 wrote:
    I thought that said "Lance is using the Clear"
    Did you say The Clear?

    :wink:

    Lance meets Pat McQuaid
  • iainf72iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Kléber wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    I thought that said "Lance is using the Clear"
    Did you say The Clear?

    :wink:

    Lance meets Pat McQuaid

    A bit of wee came out.

    Genius!!!!

    You are the new king.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • micronmicron Posts: 1,843
    More comedy gold - best way to respond to the joke that Armstrong and all his f*cktwittery is trying to make of the sport.

    Anyway as the Second Coming has decreed 'Onwards'! It's been quite nice just being able to watch cycling without the endless inane 'Armstrong is God' chatter - he really is a silly little man with all his xenophobic twaddle.
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,563
    micron wrote:
    More comedy gold - best way to respond to the joke that Armstrong and all his f*cktwittery is trying to make of the sport.

    Anyway as the Second Coming has decreed 'Onwards'! It's been quite nice just being able to watch cycling without the endless inane 'Armstrong is God' chatter - he really is a silly little man with all his xenophobic twaddle.

    Are you trying to say he has a lot in common with you?

    Dennis Noward
  • ArkibalArkibal Posts: 850
    dennisn wrote:
    micron wrote:
    More comedy gold - best way to respond to the joke that Armstrong and all his f*cktwittery is trying to make of the sport.

    Anyway as the Second Coming has decreed 'Onwards'! It's been quite nice just being able to watch cycling without the endless inane 'Armstrong is God' chatter - he really is a silly little man with all his xenophobic twaddle.

    Are you trying to say he has a lot in common with you?

    Dennis Noward

    well played Dennis!! :D:D:D
  • blazing_saddlesblazing_saddles Posts: 18,218
    Watch it and weep!
    Some will find it hilarious; tears of laughter.
    For others, just tears!
    Ssssoooooo funny.
    I can't keep up with you guys, either.
    This competiton is a healthy one. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dealdeal Posts: 857
    Kléber wrote:
    Storm in a urine sample pot then. Armstrong looks a bit silly, all his "they're out to get me, nasty Frogs" was pointless.

    Unless his reaction was designed to produce this exact outcome... :wink:
  • micronmicron Posts: 1,843
    dennisn wrote:

    Are you trying to say he has a lot in common with you?

    Dennis Noward

    Only if he's had a sex change and has a degree in French
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,563
    micron wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

    Are you trying to say he has a lot in common with you?

    Dennis Noward

    Only if he's had a sex change and has a degree in French

    I've just got ask. Are you only trolling or do you really carry all that "excess baggage"
    around with you day in and day out? If you do, why? Can't be healthy. Enjoy life.

    Dennis Noward
  • Is Dennis actually Lance Armstrong gone incognito?
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,563
    Garcia03_3 wrote:
    Is Dennis actually Lance Armstrong gone incognito?

    no comment
  • deal wrote:
    Kléber wrote:
    Storm in a urine sample pot then. Armstrong looks a bit silly, all his "they're out to get me, nasty Frogs" was pointless.
    Unless his reaction was designed to produce this exact outcome... :wink:
    Which, given Armstrong's obvious hatred of 'the French' for daring to question his deity, and his declared intention to 'piss' them off, is probably exactly what his motivation was. Even those bunch of Armstrong ring polishers over at cyclingnews.com seem to have woken up to this aspect of his refusal to stay with the tester, as WADA rules demand.


    Since the situation was made public, certain elements of the media - plus a large proportion of Armstrong's fans - have said that the incident was blown out of all proportion. The Texan has furthered the notion that this is much ado about nothing, playing on anti-French sentiment which built up in the US before the second Gulf War, and suggesting that this is simply sour grapes on the part of that nation.

    http://fry.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... /apr20news

    Also worthy of comment is how, once again, the UCI / Pat McQuaid have gone out of their way to side with Armstrong, to the extent of saying Armstrong had 'every right' to disappear for 20 minutes or more when the tester arrived. Not only is this contrary to the WADA rules the UCI supposedly follows, it hardly fits in with McQuaid's earlier claim that he had no idea what the rules are when a rider is tested in France!
  • blazing_saddlesblazing_saddles Posts: 18,218
    Well, the outcome is the AFLD come out of this with dignity.
    McQuaid comes out looking like the Armstrong toady that he is.
    Armstrong comes out looking like...........well Armstrong.

    As for Dennis accusing Micron of being a troll, thats a bit like the Pope accusing the local vicar of being a Catholic. :shock:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • micronmicron Posts: 1,843
    Now Armstrong has to ride the Tour - and AFLD will be free to test and test and test. I'm sure they'd prefer a rock solid positive test or several to a disputed testing violation :lol:

    Wonder what new test they'll be previewing at the Tour this year - one for autologous blood doping perhaps?
  • markwalkermarkwalker Posts: 953
    micron wrote:
    Now Armstrong has to ride the Tour - and AFLD will be free to test and test and test. I'm sure they'd prefer a rock solid positive test or several to a disputed testing violation :lol:

    Wonder what new test they'll be previewing at the Tour this year - one for autologous blood doping perhaps?

    bring it on,

    Its a will they catch him or will he stay away question. A bit like a break away on a transition stage that keeps the interest there :)
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,563
    As for Dennis accusing Micron of being a troll, thats a bit like the Pope accusing the local vicar of being a Catholic. :shock:

    You make a very good point. :oops: :oops:

    Dennis Noward
  • DaveyLDaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I really must be missing something here. When this story was first reported, someone on here very sagely observed that someone was lying - either Armstrong, when he said he had permission from the tester to go and take a shower; or the tester, who allegedly reported that Armstrong went to take a shower without being given permission.

    Now, if "the body [AFLD] has decided to take into consideration the athlete's written explanations and, in consequence, not to open a disciplinary procedure against him." does that mean Armstrong was telling the truth when he said he'd been given permission?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,563
    DaveyL wrote:
    I really must be missing something here. When this story was first reported, someone on here very sagely observed that someone was lying - either Armstrong, when he said he had permission from the tester to go and take a shower; or the tester, who allegedly reported that Armstrong went to take a shower without being given permission.

    Now, if "the body [AFLD] has decided to take into consideration the athlete's written explanations and, in consequence, not to open a disciplinary procedure against him." does that mean Armstrong was telling the truth when he said he'd been given permission?

    Could be, but you never know. Given Lances hatred of the French(or so everyone says)
    and given the French hatred of Lance(or so everyone says), nothing would suprise me.

    Dennis Noward
  • dennisndennisn Posts: 10,563

    As for Dennis accusing Micron of being a troll, thats a bit like the Pope accusing the local vicar of being a Catholic. :shock:

    So ley me get this straight, "micron" and "aurerlio" are therefore both "trolls" because it's just not possible for a human to carry all that "excess baggage and hatred" around day in and day out? Makes sense to me. Almost gives me a sense of relief in knowing that they are not who they claim to be and are just in it for the fun.

    Dennis Noward
Sign In or Register to comment.