Track Sprinting for amateurs

tommy_tommy
tommy_tommy Posts: 91
edited May 2009 in Track
To the age of thirty, I played rugby, enjoyed power lifting and sprinting (Running). After finishing Rugby, I switched to endurance type sports competing in marathons, triathlons and road cycling. In this time, my physique has changed from a lean muscular 13.5 st to a scrawny 10st. I am now fed up being so thin and have stopped the endurance training, returned to the gym and started to build some muscle. I still compete one session per week on my Turbo but after a warm up I do just 5 x 30 seconds all out sprints to get the legs burning.

To add some focus to my training other than to just look and feel better, i was thinking about possibly trying my hand at track sprinting.

1. Does a BCF road license cover track racing?
2. Is it possible to compete at amateur masters/Vets level in sprint events only? Do the track leagues/events hold sprint races?
3. Is there a category system on the track the same as for road racing?

Comments

• Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    1. Does a BCF road license cover track racing?
    Yes, your racing licence covers you for track as well as road.
    2. Is it possible to compete at amateur masters/Vets level in sprint events only? Do the track leagues/events hold sprint races?
    The only specific Masters events are the National, European and World Masters events. You just enter the disciplines that you want to ride. From a sprinter’s perspective and to get value for money and more racing, it’s worth entering the TT (kilo, 750m, 500m depending on age groups) as well. The Nats are at Newport and the Euros are at Manchester at each end of July.

The only (outdoor) track leagues that I’m aware of the run sprint (and Keirin) competitions throughout the season are those at Reading and Preston Park. The other leagues are very endurance orientated - I’ll be happy to stand corrected but I don’t recall seeing sprint results for the other TLs.

I think that the winter league at Newport has run sprints in the past but not sure if they’re still doing so.

At the track leagues, you can ride whatever races you like – I use the endurance events as warm up/warm down and to get miles in my legs otherwise it’s a long way to go just to ride a sprint.
    3. Is there a category system on the track the same as for road racing?
    Errr... sort of! All of the leagues have Senior A and B groups based on licence category, track experience, race history, etc, etc. There are no separate vets/masters classes at the track leagues because there aren't enough riders.

At the Masters events you’d be riding in your age group so categories don’t apply.

The best way to get a feel for what your local track league does is to go and watch on a race night and speak with the riders.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I think Jim Varnish organised a sprint event last year.
    There is also the LVRC nationals, think they will be at Newport in October again?
  • varno
    varno Posts: 52
    Yes we did...it was aimed at masters and Women so the playing field was very level and we had some brilliant racing.....i would like to do this again and ill keep youi posted.

V.
  • Eddy S
    Jim, it’s good to hear that you’re thinking about organising the Midland Sprint event(s) again. It was very good racing and I’ll definitely be there again. I didn’t mention this in my original reply as I didn’t realise that you were planning to do this again. Any potential dates yet?

BTW, are you going to make any meetings at Reading this season?
    There is also the LVRC nationals, think they will be at Newport in October again?
    Yeah, the LVRC Track Champs are at Newport 30 Oct and 1 Nov but with the same problems as last year:
    - who keeps their form that late in the season?
    - yet again it clashes with the World Cup event at Manchester

I’ll be in Manchester 8)
  • dave5n
    dave5n Posts: 3,307
    FNTL at Halesowen has some shorter races - don't want to give anything away, but the Derny may be out a bit more this year... :wink:
  • varno
    Eddy S wrote:
    Jim, it’s good to hear that you’re thinking about organising the Midland Sprint event(s) again. It was very good racing and I’ll definitely be there again. I didn’t mention this in my original reply as I didn’t realise that you were planning to do this again. Any potential dates yet?

BTW, are you going to make any meetings at Reading this season?
    Yeah, the LVRC Track Champs are at Newport 30 Oct and 1 Nov but with the same problems as last year:
    - who keeps their form that late in the season?
    - yet again it clashes with the World Cup event at Manchester

I’ll be in Manchester 8)

Doh.....keep your phone on Eddy!!!!!! Ill never forget that phone call eh!

Right then some progress on his im chatting Legro about some "training" events like last year at Halesowen for us sprinters...and anyone of similar speed etc.. Should combine 200TT, ladder, standing lap and keirin...

The track costs £20 PH so approx £100 for some quality training spread acorss all attendess....ill keep you posted...

V.
  • Eddy S
    varno wrote:
    The phone will be on and ready to make the call again Jim - I'm expecting repeat performances from both you and Jess! 8)
  • varno
    Eddy S wrote:
    varno wrote:
    The phone will be on and ready to make the call again Jim - I'm expecting repeat performances from both you and Jess! 8)

TBH, i think ill go to Manchester..... :wink:

Anyway, it looks good for the 7th June at Halesowen for the sprinting race/training 1-5pm, similar formula to last year, based around training and a little competition. 200m, match sprints, standing lap and keirin. No prizes. costs will be spread across attendees approx £10.

Im also looking at the 14th to really help the build up to the Masters.
  • varno
    Sprint Race Training.

Venue: Halesowen Cycle Track.

Date: 7 and 14th June.

Time: 1-5pm.

Objective.

This is an informal day aimed at training for racing. Aimed at Masters and riders of similar speed and ability. The day will comprise of Standing lap or 200m TT, match sprint ladder, keirin.

This event will be run by the riders so everyone will be expected to help and muck in during the day, in return everyone will benefit from close enjoyable events and get a great build up to the Masters and then the Euro’s.

We did this last year and the racing was superb with great camaraderie, hope it’s the same this time

Feel free to contact me for more details.

Jim.