CycloCross bike £800 budget

bodone
bodone Posts: 16
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
Hello All,

as the title suggests, two years of commuting on a mountain bike i need to take the plunge. Cyclocross seems to meet my requirements of commute on road and dirt paths, now it's a case of which beast to go for.

So ideas gents, i'm a small chap about 5"9 and 13St if that helps.

thanks All

Comments

• bodone
    to get things rolling how about

http://www.dawescycles.com/p-171-edge-x.aspx
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Specialized Tricross Sport comes recommended (by me :wink: )
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    I have this in 54 cm.... If you check out this years Trek X02 it retails for £1600. I've done 300 road miles on it.

I'm sure I could build it up for around £800 for you......

DSCF7314.jpg
  • bodone
    not sure on used stuff, but out of interest, what would the build be?
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    Funny enough i was going to suggest a Trek X01 but I've just looked and it's beyond your budget. I've got an X02 and it's fine, some nice light wheels and SRAM gears which are expensive as heck if you were to buy them.
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Genesis Vapour comes in just above the £800 mark. Lovely bike to ride, although possibly a little heavier than some. I think Giant do an entry level one at £650 now which is well worth considering
  • SlowingDown
    SlowingDown Posts: 129
    Focus Mares looks pretty good at £809...and even better when reduced to nearer £600 as it has been twice already this year.
    ===============================
    Ribble Sportive Racing: FCN 2
    Tricross Sport: FCN 4
    Cannondale R600: FCN 3
    Scrapheap Rescued SS, in bits: FCN 9

Helmet wearer
    ===============================
  • 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    Slightly over your budget, but I'd recommend a Kinesis Crosslight 4T. I bought one for commuting, and ended up having a go at some cross races on it last season.

They're nice framesets in my opinion, and the 4T has the advantage of two sets of bottle bosses, as well as frame bosses for paniers and mud guards, should you wish to fit them. The alloy fork has mud guard eyelets on the dropouts too.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • stevos999
    stevos999 Posts: 5
    Focus Mares....I'm looking at this bike too, but they also have an ex demo version of their disc brake bike for not much more than the basic modal...is it worth it on the spec difference to get the demo modal? any advice would be greatly appreciated?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus ... 360037602/

or the demo:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus ... 360039746/

(although there's only one demo bike and i've just advertised it to everyone reading this, so unless i'm quick i may not actually still have a choice... :roll: ...)