Upgrade to Planet X wheels?

2»

Comments

• Higs
    Higs Posts: 105
    Mine arrived today. When I picked them up from the neighbours I thought I'd been sent an empty box but no, there were wheels in there (and bonus skewers)
    Higs
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I ordered mine today - for 10 speed Shimano. Appreciate all the comments - obviously they are not perfect wheels but they are light and killer value. Can't go far wrong I reckon. I just hope that I get the skewers too!

Cheers
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • mine came with unexpected skewers.
  • pabloweaver
    pabloweaver Posts: 444
    planet x dont sell wheels singular ... so in the event of trashing a wheel ( like i have just done to the front ) you are faced with buying a pair . Hence the reason i have just bought a pair of fulcrums safe in the knowledge that if i have a mishap again ( touch wood etc etc ) i have the option of replacing one wheel only .

Planet x wheels are light , fast and enjoyed them , but .... i think the fulcrum feel a bit more robust on harsher road surfaces without a noticeable increase in weight or decrease in performance
    http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Great club in and around the Warrington area.
  • RC21
    RC21 Posts: 166
    planet x dont sell wheels singular ... so in the event of trashing a wheel ( like i have just done to the front ) you are faced with buying a pair . Hence the reason i have just bought a pair of fulcrums safe in the knowledge that if i have a mishap again ( touch wood etc etc ) i have the option of replacing one wheel only .

Planet x wheels are light , fast and enjoyed them , but .... i think the fulcrum feel a bit more robust on harsher road surfaces without a noticeable increase in weight or decrease in performance

Not true - after my crash where I buckeled my front wheel they split a set and sold me a front one. You need to contact them by phone and get passed the girl who answers the phone initially. . . .I think I spoke to a guy called Ray in the end; top bloke! Also Andy is very good - it's just the girl who answers the phone first is a bit . . . well, not very helpful :)
  • GEPC
    GEPC Posts: 123
    Mine arrived at the end of last week and I took them for a first spin over the weekend. Very happy with them so far and they also arrived with a set of skewers, however I did order a set of their older stock 9/10 compatible sets rather then the 10speed only they have on the web page, so it may be that I just got a bit lucky there too.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that they hold up as my build is that of a prop forward rather than a king of the mountains!
  • pabloweaver
    pabloweaver Posts: 444
    RC21 wrote:

Not true - after my crash where I buckeled my front wheel they split a set and sold me a front one. You need to contact them by phone and get passed the girl who answers the phone initially. . . .I think I spoke to a guy called Ray in the end; top bloke! Also Andy is very good - it's just the girl who answers the phone first is a bit . . . well, not very helpful :)

mmm guess you got lucky then, i like PX , really do ...had great service from them and will def buy again ....but im talking about a request for one front wheel 2 weeks ago and was told not available as a single wheel deal but would be available as a pair ( discounted tbh ) , no ifs buts etc so i figured i would go down the afore mentioned route ...maybe as you say it all depends on who you deal with on the day.

for the record , i agree , Andy very good and informative
    http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Great club in and around the Warrington area.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Just for the record, I did get 'free' skewers with mine.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • jojo90
    jojo90 Posts: 178
    I've got Xero Lite XR-1 wheels and love em :)

690g front, 905g read aero spokes and rims - check ebay.

I've hammered them across loads of pothole filled roads and gravel tracks and they still run true!
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Anyone have any issues with the supplied rim tape? Looks a little basic and not sure whether to use it or get some Bike Ribbon instead, thanks.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Anyone have any issues with the supplied rim tape? Looks a little basic and not sure whether to use it or get some Bike Ribbon instead, thanks.

Nope, several thousand miles on mine and not problems yet with punctures. Was changing a tyre the other day and didn't notice any problems with the tape.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    The red rim tape with Planet-X on? Seems good to me, better than some. 1500 miles, no hint of a problem