Swansea to Sheffield

Chris Swansea
Chris Swansea Posts: 78
edited April 2009 in Tour & expedition
I'm planning to cycle up to my parents, from Swansea to Sheffield.

Looks like I'll be crossing the Brecon Beacons and up through Hereford, Leominster, but I don't know the area beyond that.

Can anyone help with some advice of nice roads to use, areas to pass through? I'll be on a touring bike and aiming for about 75-100 miles a day.

Any help from anyone with experience of riding in the Midlands, Staffs and up through the Peak District would be appreciated. I can then join the dots on the map and get some sort of route together :)

Many thanks
Chris
Trying my best to do 300 miles a month on and off road.

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    i'd head for breacon then hay on wye, and then i'd start heading for north of birmingham and then on to to folks.
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    Try using www.viamichelin.co.uk

It has a bike option. it has a minor flaw in that it has a 200km limit so you might have to break your journey into two legs.
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    I rode from Hereford home to Derby by going something along the lines of Leominster, Ludlow, Bridgnorth, Penkridge and Abbots Bromley. It was all surprisingly nice.

At this point if I was heading to Sheffield I'd go to Uttoxeter, Ashbourne, Youlgreave, Bakewell then it really depends on where in Sheffield I was heading but pretty much any none A-road in the Peaks is worth a ride. Mind you, if you pick roads that are too small the perpetual sharp climbs are a killer.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 54495&z=13

Sorry about the long link, but here you will find a route I have done.
    From ashbourne up to parsley hay take the tissington trail which is fine with narrow tyres

TerryJ
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow